• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

request id woodpecker in Bucharest (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Dear colleagues
Please can anyone advise: the heading is stating the question please.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 228
I'd go for Syrian, as it lacks the vertical cheek stripe of Great Spotted. Extensive buff forehead and lack of red on the crown suggest a female.

I'd go with birdbrain22 for GSW....black at base of bill, big white spots to tail, and the red to the vent area looking quite deep and intense.

Cheers

they do. but, even if we wouldn't see the cheek stripe in this image (which i doubt), GSW is much rarer inside the city of bucharest than syrian. and this looks like a female syrian, for the reasons mentioned above.

they do. but, even if we wouldn't see the cheek stripe in this image (which i doubt), GSW is much rarer inside the city of bucharest than syrian. and this looks like a female syrian, for the reasons mentioned above.

So the feature, shown clearly in Collins re the bill, is wrong?

A

The black by the bill is just darkness looking up its nostril. The feathering at the base of the top of the bill is orangey-brown - probably staining from wood chips in its nest hole, but if genuine colour, that might make the hybrid option more realistic.

The black by the bill is just darkness looking up its nostril. The feathering at the base of the top of the bill is orangey-brown - probably staining from wood chips in its nest hole, but if genuine colour, that might make the hybrid option more realistic.

It looks distinct from the nostril which is clearly, separately visible, I don't think it's just shadow.

A

It looks distinct from the nostril which is clearly, separately visible, I don't think it's just shadow.

A
I've blown up the pic to x2 size and brightened slightly - looks to me even more like staining now, with quite a bit of staining on the rest of the feathers too. Definitely not black feathers above the bill.

Black streaks on the lower flanks also favour Syrian.

[edit - removed copyright photo]

Last edited:
I've blown up the pic to x2 size and brightened slightly - looks to me even more like staining now, with quite a bit of staining on the rest of the feathers too. Definitely not black feathers above the bill.

Black streaks on the lower flanks also favour Syrian.

Stlll looks like feathering to me and the 'black streaks' look like gaps in the feathering to me, flank streaking should be much finer than this?

A

Last edited:
Stlll looks like feathering to me and the 'black streaks' look like gaps in the feathering to me, flank streaking should be much finer than this?

A
Yep, it's feathering above the bill, but it's not black!

The coarseness of the flank streaks I'd think is just a side effect of enlarging the pic - while it makes things easier to visualise, it does also cut the quality.

Dear colleagues
Thank you for your kind inputs.
I guess the score seems to be 3 - 3
Much like Spain and Portugal in the World Cup.
Seriously - perhaps Mr Salomon 's comment about the relative scarcity of Great Spotted Woodpecker in Bucharest in comparison to Syrian Woodpecker might lean one toward the latter.

Of course one's informed opinions and knowledgeable comments are much appreciated, as is the case on this occasion.
One understands that not in every instance is a conclusive diagnosis possible. This may be to do with the limitations of the photograph, or other factors. For example the angle of the bird's head relation to the camera in regard to the photo of the putative Syrian Woodpecker, perhaps precludes one from absolutely eliminating the possibility of there not being a vertical black stripe on the cheek.
Take for example a similar situation - a photo of Great Spotted Woodpecker here taken in the UK- to my less than expert eyes I see little that would separate the bird on the left from the putative Syrian Woodpecker in my earlier attachment.
By the way, does anyone know please if the Great Spotted Woodpecker IS to be found in Bucharest - is it (common) (uncommon) (scarce) (rare).?

Attachments

• woodpecker-7.jpg
    woodpecker-7.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back