• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for Hokkaido? (1 Viewer)

Selectfluor

Dear All,

I am planning a trip to Hokkaido, mainly Rausu and possibly Utoro, to see the Shiretoko National Park. I plan to go on the drift ice cruise to see the Steller's sea-eagle, maybe some snow shoeing and to enjoy the fresh seafood. I would also like to see the Blakiston's fish owl while I'm there, while i still can.
My understanding is that everyone that wants to see the owl just parks their car near the creek (outside the inn) and the owls will come during the feeding time. What if one doesn't plan to rent a car, are there other options?

I'm not sure you can just park by the stream unless you're a guest at the inn. If you are staying at the inn and haven't rented a car then you can shoot out of your bedroom window or (if I remember correctly) there is an old minibus that serves as a kind of blind (again, for guests of the inn, I think).

Basically AFAIK you'll have to stay at the inn.

By the way, welcome to birdforum.

Thank you for the response HokkaidoStu.

Another question, how rare are the blakiston's fish owl in Rausu? I understand that they are a rare bird, but from what I've read, they seem to be a lot of sightings in Rausu.

Thank you for the response HokkaidoStu.

Another question, how rare are the blakiston's fish owl in Rausu? I understand that they are a rare bird, but from what I've read, they seem to be a lot of sightings in Rausu.

They are regular vistors at 2 or 3 well known places, Washi-no Yado in Rausu is the most famous (and cheapest)..................

I'm not sure they come every night but I've stayed at Washi-no Yado Rausu 2 nights and the owl(s) came both nights. I also stayed at another place near Nakashibetsu 1 night and the owl came................

They are regular vistors at 2 or 3 well known places, Washi-no Yado in Rausu is the most famous (and cheapest)..................

I'm not sure they come every night but I've stayed at Washi-no Yado Rausu 2 nights and the owl(s) came both nights. I also stayed at another place near Nakashibetsu 1 night and the owl came................

I will be in Rausu in early February weather permitting. The accommodation at the minshuku at Washi-no Yado is already fully-booked over this period,but you may be able to book to sit in the heated 'observatory' overlooking the pool where the Owls feed.There is a fee for this,and I already have an option for two nights which I organised some months ago.I don't think you will be at all popular if you try to drive up and park on the roadside,and in fact this may be currently banned by the minshuku owner.The other well known site is away inland,and is in the grounds of a very expensive upmarket hotel.How accessible this will be in February is debatable.Hokkaido has already had one of the worst snow-falls for many years!
Tom Lawson.

.I don't think you will be at all popular if you try to drive up and park on the roadside,and in fact this may be currently banned by the minshuku owner.

As I said earlier, you have to be a paying guest at the inn to park your own vehicle there.

There has been quite a lot of snow the last few days but February is a long way off..................it should be OK (famous last words).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back