• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Holidays are over. Again at work, we have retired 17 dead birds in s'Albufera and there are still a few more in Depuradora (we'll go back there tomorrow, if it's possibbe). Botulism is confirmed, so bad news!

On the other hand, some nice migrants seen (curlew, wood sandpiper, green sandpiper, spotted redshank, little stint...).

Hi Neil, yes, all reports are interesting so do please post what you see. Already you have seen some good birds. I have not received any sightings of Little Bittern at Maristany so I'm very pleased to hear that they are there this year. Thanks and good birding! Mike

Thank you Mike.

Just Black Vulture over Bunyola; Booted Eagle (dark & light phases), Red Kite, Stone Curlews and Euro Nightjar from our villa at Can Segue today to report. Also great to see half a dozen Eleonora's around Formentor. Spotted Flycatcher seems to be the bird of the moment.

Cheers,

Can Segue today:
Eleonoras 1 pp
Hobby 1
Kestrel 2
Booted 2 pp (possibly same local bird?)
Raven 2
Woodchat 1 ad
Serin 2
Common Swift 7
Spot fly 1
Swallow 3
Red Kite 1
Greenfinch 2
Sardinian Warbler 2

Last edited:
Boquer Valley today ... no surprises except how easy Balearic Warblers were to see in family groups. Really nice to revisit this taxon since it was elevated to full species.

Also:
Willow Warbler 1
Sardinian Warbler 20+
Red-legged (?) Partridge 1
Raven 7
Crag Martin 1
Woodchat Shrike juv
Booted Eagle 1 pp

Thanks Neil.
A few Honey Buzzard have been seen at Cap de Ses a Salines in the last couple of days so they are trickling through now. Let's hope for lots more as the season progresses. Mike

Lovely drive from Pollensa to Cuber Reservoir along the mountain road. Clearly BV is doing better than when I was last here thirty years ago! Most birds seen between the Monastery and the reservoir.
BV 20+
Bonelli's E ad
Booted E 1 dp, 1 pp
Eleonora's 5
Peregrine 2
Black Kite 1
Kestrel 3 sp.
Osprey 1
Raven 9
Serin 3
Woodchat ad
Blackbird 1
Chaffinch ++
Spotted Flycatcher 3

But no HBs!

Today, second visit to Cuber Res. Quieter in terms of raptor numbers:
BV 12
Black Kite 1
Red Kite 2
Booted Eagle 2pp
Accipiter sp. briefly
Kestrel 2
Whinchat 1
Little Ringed Plover 2
Green Sandpiper 1
Common Sandpiper 3
Spotted Fly c.10
Raven, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Sards

... and a rather large Terrapin sunning itself. Estimate carapace diameter c.1 ft (30cm)

Last edited:
Opening hours La Gola

Good morning,
In September and October La Gola Center will be open from Monday to Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 1p.m and from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Remember that the park is always open to the visitors.

Good birding!
Cristina.

... and a rather large Terrapin sunning itself. Estimate carapace diameter c.1 ft (30cm)

Don't suppose you saw it close enough to confirm if it was a Red-eared Slider. I've seen them in s'Albufera (including a female egg-laying) but not at Cuber. Someone must really have wanted to dispose of it to drive all that way!
Martin

Don't suppose you saw it close enough to confirm if it was a Red-eared Slider. I've seen them in s'Albufera (including a female egg-laying) but not at Cuber. Someone must really have wanted to dispose of it to drive all that way!
Martin

Sorry no. It was very quick to slide off into the water once it realised I had noticed it. Surprised at the size of it. Seen lots around the world and this looked pretty well grown. No apex predators to see off this sort of invasive alien.

Hello!
This morning there's a Black-necked Grebe at la Gola, in Síller stream, second bridge from the Ornithological Center (thanks to Ben).
Also some Willow warblers in the surroundings.

Attachments

• 100_1310.jpg
    100_1310.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_1309.jpg
    100_1309.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 102
Cap Salines

Spent the morning at Cap Salines. Quite a few (6 to 8), I assume local, Red Kites, 2 Booted Eagles, 11 Kestrels hunting the same field and a few others about, 2 Peregrines, one Black Kite, a few W. Shrikes including juveniles and a couple Ravens. No sign of Honey Buzzards despite what I thought would be favourable winds. I left around noon, possibly to early.

Then a quick dash down Eddie's track revealed little other than perhaps 50 Flamingoes scattered in several pools, a couple LR Plovers, 5 Common Sandpipers and a few juvenile Shelducks. A distant Marsh Harrier and a couple Greenshanks on the wing.

Heading home tomorrow, so just to note a few final bits'n'bobs:

Formentor today:
Osprey 1
Audouin's Gull 2
Shag 1

Pollensa today:
Woodchat 1 ad
Kestrel 1

Tucan yesterday (almost dry):
Willow Warbler 1
LRP 2
Common Sandpiper 2
Common Swift 6

Can Segue yesterday:
Honey Buzzard 1
Marsh Harrier 1
Red Kite 1
Stone Curlew(s)
Serin 5
Woodchat 1 ad

Thanks Mike and co for your insights and feedback. Hopefully, will be back before another 30 years pass! Best wishes to you all.

Many thanks Neil for all your posts, very interesting and some good birds too, glad you got one Honey Buzzard. Sorry about the Cap, I tried to get there myself this morning as I thought the winds would have brought some good birds. Tomorrow maybe! Safe trip home but don't leave it another thirty years, I definitely won't be around!!
A few Dotterel have been seen, from now onwards it's worth checking all fields for autumn passage of these rather nice looking birds, there will be a few trips over the next few weeks.

Hello!
This morning there's a Black-necked Grebe at la Gola, in Síller stream, second bridge from the Ornithological Center (thanks to Ben).
Also some Willow warblers in the surroundings.

Please stay! Still need bng for my Mallorca list. We arrive on Tuesday!

Many thanks Neil for all your posts, very interesting and some good birds too, glad you got one Honey Buzzard. Sorry about the Cap, I tried to get there myself this morning as I thought the winds would have brought some good birds. Tomorrow maybe! Safe trip home but don't leave it another thirty years, I definitely won't be around!!
A few Dotterel have been seen, from now onwards it's worth checking all fields for autumn passage of these rather nice looking birds, there will be a few trips over the next few weeks.

Likewise dotterel!

Please stay! Still need bng for my Mallorca list. We arrive on Tuesday!

Hello StewB,
I'm afraid this kind of birds only stay one or two days at La Gola, in fact, I haven't seen it this morning:-C
But...Another birds are on the move. In an-hour-walk along the parc I have seen the locals and some migrants:
-Grey heron (1)
-Green sandpiper (4 + 1 later)
-Yellow-legged gull (1)
-Collared Dove
-Wood Pigeon
-Mallards
-Moorhens
-Common Coot (2)
-Pied Flycatcher (3 min)
-Tyrrhenic/Balearic Spotted flycatcher
-Blackcap
-Sardinian Warbler
-Whitethroat (1)
-Zitting Cisticola
-Firecrest
-Stonechat
-Robin
-Blackbird
-Greenfinch
-Goldfinch
-Crossbill
-House Sparrow
Also a flock of 21 Raven together with a Booted eagle flying to the South.

So, keep going at la Gola!
In the other hand, a good site to see Black-necked grebe is the Bassa de Can Guidet, not far from Palma.
Regards,
Cristina.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back