• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Monarch HG wins 1st Place in Field and Stream test of 13 new Binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Lee,
Genuine (but probably stupid) question, but what's focus backlash?

Egrets

You are right to ask. As far as I can tell from years of enquiry this is what the Americans call 'free play' which is the term I use for the defect where you can rock the focus wheel to and fro by a variable distance but the bino doesn't actually change its point of focus. Notice my description took 26 words so its no wonder some cultures reduce it to one or two.

Lee

I mean...it's an interesting article. It has some good info in it. Kind of like difference car magazines "Car of the Year" awards. New cars of the year convertibles, sedans, coupes, etc all tested together. Same here, basically just a review of all the new binoculars. Really iMO in no way can it be a "comparison."

BUT being an owner of the Monarch HG, I have to agree with what they say. All things considered I'm not sure there is a better birding binocular for less than $1000.

Some good info but the final score certainly doesn't always indicate the "best" binocular.
I am sure the HG is a superlative binocular. Just like the other current class $1,000 binoculars are. I would dearly love to get my hands on one for a good workout.

The field worthy comment was interrupted by the telephone which call caused me to need to leave pronto. I said in the recent comparative review I recently posted that there was not what I considered a true field worthy difference. That difference has to show up in definitive fashion in normal hand held use.When I need to pour over resolution charts on tripod mounted binoculars to ferret out differences, I don't consider those differences to be of much consequence. When one compares the Maven C1 and B1, the value thing surely kicks in. We have no idea how they evaluated the value aspect. I'd have a hard time telling somebody to buy a B1 instead of the C1 if money was a difference. The B1 is better, but precious little better. Ditto the GPO Passion HD and ED.

Because I declined to rate the binoculars in the review, that does not mean I can't. I have picked too many nits for that to matter a lot to me any more. I realize the potential existence of any sort of discernible difference assume greater value for some users than it does for others.

That is a very interesting article. What we need is for some publication to do that as a blind test where the testers only have a disguised binocular with a number on it.

Last edited:
What we need is for some publication to do that as a blind test where the testers only have a disguised binocular with a number on it.
I wouldn't want to hold my breath until that happens.

A real "binocular in a box" test would indeed be very interesting.

I just muddle along with my 10X42 EL SV, which blow my mind every time I use them, and try to ignore the voices in my head telling me that the Noctivid or the Victory SF are likely "better".

'Voices in my head.'
Is this because we know there is no such thing as the perfect binocular-
Therefore-
We know however much we spend we are buying something that is imperfect-
Therefore-
We subconsciously know the imperfection is there every time we use the bins-
Therefore-
It manifests to the point where we start searching for something better (less imperfect).

I agree with most here: too bad F&S felt it necessary to include a value parameter in the score when that is clearly such a personal issue. All they had to do was give the score (less the value component), the price, and the summary. I would think most F&S readers would be competent enough to take it from there, right? It could also be very misleading to the many out there who just do a quick scan and miss the part about value being in the score. I'm not saying one bin is better than the other, mind you. I've not put any of the tested bins to my eyes.

I handled that one at the store not too long ago. It did not score number 1 in my test.

CG
CG. Just curious what you didn't like about the Nikon MHG. Maybe compared to some of your other binoculars. It seems the MHG is liked or disliked. Like there is no in between. I value your opinion being another Denverite. What store did you handle one at in Denver?

Last edited:
I said in the recent comparative review I recently posted that there was not what I considered a true field worthy difference. That difference has to show up in definitive fashion in normal hand held use.When I need to pour over resolution charts on tripod mounted binoculars to ferret out differences, I don't consider those differences to be of much consequence.

Well said Steve.

Lee

'Voices in my head.'
Therefore-
Therefore-
Therefore-
It manifests to the point where we start searching for something better (less imperfect).

No

Lee

'Voices in my head.'
Therefore-
Therefore-
Therefore-

Or Yes

It depends on the person.

Some of the worse binos I have seen have been in the hands of a tour leader. Medium priced and medium capability binos, armour almost hanging off, scratches on the lenses, paint worn away, one eyecup barely attached. But he could identify birds and animals in an instant. OK in one or two habitats I can do that because I am so familiar with the birds and animals there, but he would describe what he was seeing in terms of behaviour and plumage details and it was clear he simply saw past his bino's imperfections and just perceived the subjects. Other folks can't stand binos if they can't point there eyes to the edge of the field and see a sharp image or can't stand to see a curved pole at the edge of the fov or detect a tiny amount of CA. For me its free play in the focuser that annoys.

Lee

Yeah, earlier in this thread, I asked Chuck (Chill6x6) how he compared the Nikon to 'alpha' bins, basically because, from previous threads, he comes across as common sense knowledgeable, and because he owns an MHG. Why? I mean why do I feel I need to know my MHG is up there with the big guns. I mean it's light (weight) for an 8x42, has the FOV of a lighthouse, I'm happily immune to negligible CA, and the focuser is silky smooth. I'm starting to feel like the guy who leaves the car dealers with a brand new, top of the shop, Range Rover, only to feel cheapened because he sees someone drive past in a Bentley.
Maybe it's my own inadequacies as a birdwatcher I'm trying to suppress. A case of 'If only I had a Noctovid, I'd have nailed that little warbler that just went flitting through those branches'.
'Binocular Doubt', it can really screw you up.

Yeah, earlier in this thread, I asked Chuck (Chill6x6) how he compared the Nikon to 'alpha' bins, basically because, from previous threads, he comes across as common sense knowledgeable, and because he owns an MHG. Why? I mean why do I feel I need to know my MHG is up there with the big guns. I mean it's light (weight) for an 8x42, has the FOV of a lighthouse, I'm happily immune to negligible CA, and the focuser is silky smooth. I'm starting to feel like the guy who leaves the car dealers with a brand new, top of the shop, Range Rover, only to feel cheapened because he sees someone drive past in a Bentley.
Maybe it's my own inadequacies as a birdwatcher I'm trying to suppress. A case of 'If only I had a Noctovid, I'd have nailed that little warbler that just went flitting through those branches'.

I've just come back from a holiday where for the most part I used mid-priced 32mm (I usually major on 42s) binos with the occasional use of a Zeiss FL 8x32. First conclusion was that in 3 weeks viewing there was one 10 minute period one dusk when I missed having a 42. Second was that the little Meopta and Kowa were good enough to satisfy me for a lifetime. There was nothing that the FL did that the others couldn't do but it did it with a touch more brightness and with just a touch less CA (although the Kowa runs it very close on this) and a soupcon more contrast.
However, in a couple of weeks I will be taking SF 42s to Islay and I will love using them.
Its OK to strive for the best you can get and it is absolutely fine if this turns out to be a Nikon (MHG is fabulous value for money) a Meopta or Kowa, a Conquest or Opticron or GPO.
I really doubt whether you would make any more identifications with an Nvid than with your MHGs and for sure, as you have hinted at, adding to your experience of birds both familiar and unusual, will gradually improve your identification skills. The more familiar you are with the general impression and habits and calls of the familiar, the more rapidly you will spot something new and spot why it is different and you will do this just as successfully through an MHG as an Nvid.

Lee

Thread hijack alert (sorry).
So Chuck, in lieu of Field and Stream test, how do you rate your MHG against alphas like the Noctovid, and are the differences cavernous

Bill

I've never directly compared the Monarch HD 8X42 to a Noctivid because until lately I never had a Noctivid 8X42, mine was a 10X42 at the time(then EO had their closeout sale!)...But I have compared it to an SF, an EDG II, Maven B.1, and a Leica Trinovid HD. The thought early on was that with the Monarch HG one was getting a less than $1000 EDG II which I found to not be true. The large FOV indicated it might be an SF challenger, again not true. When I say this I am speaking optically. The MHG isn't a true flat field binocular as both the SF and EDG II are. The image quality of the MHG isn't quite what either the SF or EDG II offer, especially the EDG II. But IMO it's not what the MHG doesn't offer, it's what it DOES offer. Perfect functioning/feeling focus adjustment, class leading FOV, locking diopter adjustment, objective cover that won't get lost, plenty of eye relief for most, small stature, light weight, and pretty close to, if not class leading optics. Best of all for the price one ONE of the alpha binocular,s one can have both an 8X and a 10X Monarch HG. This makes more sense to me than just one alpha. If you come to me and tell me you have $1000 and which 8X42 binocular to buy...I'm gonna say Monarch HG 8X42 all day long.

Attachments

• DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 190
Chuck, thank you for your measured, carefully thought out response, much appreciated. I see exactly what you're saying i.e. MHG=everything I'll ever need, whereas SF=everything I'll ever need+'wow'. The 'wow' I can do without, particularly as it would be accompanied by Mrs Egrets saying 'you spent how much???' However, the MHG does have one advantage over the SF, and this kind of brings us back to what this thread was originally about. If I ever damage the MHG, it will be a case of 'Oh damn', whereas if I bought an SF and subsequently damaged it, it would be more in the realms of 'Oh my GOD!!!' (please picture a terminally scratched Zeiss, and a grown man sunk to his knees in the middle of a forest and crying like a girl). Anyway, I have duly taken the tablets kindly donated by yourself and Lee, and all I can say is, Gibraltar Point here I come.

That about sums up my disease too, Sir Ivadafew. 15 years and about 47 binoculars later (and that's just the ones I can remember), I use Mulligatawny's 'old' Nikon SE 8x32. Does more than it says on the tin. But the angst only began to wane when my eagerness to rush off 'twitching' or scouring headlands at migration times waned first. Now I look at birds, through SE's, whenever the mood takes me, and I don't think about the binos. But it was an unhealthy and expensive obsession, possibly something subconscious that had nothing to do 'per se' with binoculars, a bit like hoarders or whatever. Or maybe some of us just fall for the marketing hype more easily. In any case, it's nice to know that the MHG are so well thought-of by calm and rational folk like Chuck. If I were 'starting out', I'm sure that's what I'd buy.

Last edited:
I really doubt whether you would make any more identifications with an Nvid than with your MHGs and for sure, as you have hinted at, adding to your experience of birds both familiar and unusual, will gradually improve your identification skills. The more familiar you are with the general impression and habits and calls of the familiar, the more rapidly you will spot something new and spot why it is different and you will do this just as successfully through an MHG as an Nvid.

Lee

That is excellent advice. I'm a little over a year into birding, and I can attest to the learning by experience aspect. I feel a bit of growth almost every time I go out. Always fun to learn new things at any age. Keeps me young, or at least I feel like a kid when I am immersed.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back