• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sweden - can you ID a bird from this fairly bad description?! (1 Viewer)

Natterjak

Hi

Sorry haven't managed to snap a pic and my memory isn't fantastic but I'll try to describe the bird I've been seeing in the last few days:

This bird is the size of a chaffinch or sparrow and lands on the ground and pecks away feeding on what I suppose to be seeds.

The bird has a plain light grey or tan chest, a patch of grey on the back of the head and a light coloured beak which contrasts with its face. The shape of the beak is triangular and fairly large, but not as big as a hawfinch. Maybe the size of a sparrow's beak. The wings have two wide bars of white feathers in contrast to the mainly brown plumage on wings and back. The bird's call consists of single loud cries, about one per second.

The overall impression of the plumage is fairly fluffy, so it could be a newly fledged bird.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful!

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. I've checked some pics online and I don't think it's that one. The thick white bars on the wings are not present in that bird.

Would be helpful if you describe the area - forest, farmland, urban garden?

Two Wide white wing bars with mainly brown plumage sounds like juvenile Chaffinch to me

(btw birds fluff up when cold, when threatened etc so not necessarily defining feature of fledglings. Light can drastically affect appearance of bill colour too!)

Thanks for your suggestions.. the setting my back garden on the edge of woodland in central/southern Sweden. Young chaffinch is not impossible, but from the recordings I can find online the call of the chaffinch is more complex than what I heard.

I'll keep looking at pics and will of course try to photograph the bird if I see it again.

Thanks for your suggestions.. the setting my back garden on the edge of woodland in central/southern Sweden. Young chaffinch is not impossible, but from the recordings I can find online the call of the chaffinch is more complex than what I heard.

I'll keep looking at pics and will of course try to photograph the bird if I see it again.

You might be actually confusing the song of the chaffinch with its calls. Calls are simple, more are just a single note; song is more complex.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back