• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Big Year 2019 (1 Viewer)

Wikipedia has been updated. I have some cleaning up to do in the formulas for my sheets; by tomorrow morning I'll post the updates.

Joe

Last edited:
Laura/Joe

Many thanks. So 835+1 with only Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler as provisional? The Warbler seems nailed on for acceptance.

All the best

Hey, since it's one of only two nights this week that I'm not playing ('tis the season for trumpeters...) I figured I'd get this done. Here are the ABA sheets with updated codes. I applaud the committee's choice to make every Hawaiian bird at least a Code 2.

Joe

Attachments

• ABABigYears2019.xlsx
    138.9 KB · Views: 52
  • ABABigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    619.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
And here are the Continental ABA lists. I had to correct a mistake I'd made in the McQuades' lists; they have Black-headed, not Black-tailed Gull. Oops...
I love comparing the 2019 birders to the earlier Big Year birders. Different worlds, but I think Sandy Komito's 1998 Big Year is amazing. Imagine what he could have done that year with instant alerts.

Joe

Attachments

• ContinentalBigYears2019.xlsx
    179.4 KB · Views: 44
  • ContinentalBigYears2019ByCode.xlsx
    665.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The record falls - B H Gull falls at Niagara Falls.

"I celebrated the find, which represents my 837th species for the year – an unofficial new Big Year Record "

Many, many congratulations John.

Hey, since it's one of only two nights this week that I'm not playing ('tis the season for trumpeters...) I figured I'd get this done. Here are the ABA sheets with updated codes. I applaud the committee's choice to make every Hawaiian bird at least a Code 2.

Joe

Joe

To be clear, what is the status of the 2019 lists? It seems that John's is up to date - with the exception of yesterday's B-h Gull. But Amanda's is not, being at least 10 species down on her eBird list. What about the others.

Many thanks for all your efforts in keeping us updated.

Amanda likely has 25 more species, as her AOU eBird list (which includes Hawaii) is 752. Subtract one for Mexican Duck, but she's doing quite well. She's been to Hawaii at least twice, but I'm at the mercy of the given birder. Some birders (like the Deans) actually text me for each new bird, and the McQuades shoot an email.
All the other lists are up to date. I'm the person who updates the Wikipedia page, so that's a good one to bookmark if you want to see the statuses of other lists. I don't have spreadsheets for the US or the Lower 48, but birders have been very good about keeping me on track with those numbers. John will likely nail down the rest of the lists in January during his birding detox when he gets back home. He's likely just over 700 in the Lower 48 this year, but he'll calculate all that when he's finished. Although he's on the cusp of setting a new US Big Year record, his Lower 48 won't threaten Olaf's record, as far as I can ascertain. It was a stated goal at the start of the year, but 2019 been an unexpectedly bumpy road for him. And he's still going to set two new records!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_year

Joe

He seems to have a Myiarchus mislabeled as a Tropical Kingbird in this post - though given the state he's in I'll gladly let it slide!

Congratulations to John!

Here's a list of missing code 3's (bolded seen in 2016). Whooper Swan and Steller's Eider might be still gettable. Anything else?

Whooper Swan
Laysan Duck
Common Pochard
Steller’s Eider

Smew
Masked Duck
Common Cuckoo
Mariana Swiftlet
Curlew Sandpiper

Temminck's Stint
Long-billed Murrelet
Ross’s Gull
Blue-gray Noddy
Tristam's Storm-Petrel
Least Storm-Petrel
Trindade Petrel
White-necked Petrel
Bonin Petrel
Christmas Shearwater
Gray-headed Chickadee
Millerbird
Eyebrowed Trush
Laysan Finch
Nihoa Finch
Island Canary
Flame-colored Tanager

Congratulations to John!

Here's a list of missing code 3's (bolded seen in 2016). Whooper Swan and Steller's Eider might be still gettable. Anything else?

Virtually no chance at any of the rest of those, I'm afraid. There are several Code 4s and 5s that could potentially make an appearance, though - Yellow-legged Gull, Graylag Goose, Northern Lapwing, Streak-backed Oriole, and Blue Bunting (among others) have all turned up in December in recent years. It's been a bit of a slow rarity season, so I'm hoping there's still a surprise In store over these final couple of weeks.

Virtually no chance at any of the rest of those, I'm afraid. There are several Code 4s and 5s that could potentially make an appearance, though - Yellow-legged Gull, Graylag Goose, Northern Lapwing, Streak-backed Oriole, and Blue Bunting (among others) have all turned up in December in recent years. It's been a bit of a slow rarity season, so I'm hoping there's still a surprise In store over these final couple of weeks.

Oi! That's Greylag to you, its name is in Old World English, it's not one of your Nearctic endemics - Mr Smyth..... ;)

Merry Christmas, y'all.

John

Amanda likely has 25 more species, as her AOU eBird list (which includes Hawaii) is 752. Subtract one for Mexican Duck, but she's doing quite well. She's been to Hawaii at least twice, but I'm at the mercy of the given birder. Some birders (like the Deans) actually text me for each new bird, and the McQuades shoot an email.
All the other lists are up to date. I'm the person who updates the Wikipedia page, so that's a good one to bookmark if you want to see the statuses of other lists. I don't have spreadsheets for the US or the Lower 48, but birders have been very good about keeping me on track with those numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_year

Joe

Understood Joe,

I see Amanda is back in Hawaii, and I think she has pulled into overall 2nd place from the species lists on eBird.

Oi! That's Greylag to you, its name is in Old World English, it's not one of your Nearctic endemics - Mr Smyth..... ;)

Merry Christmas, y'all.

John

Lol - take it up with eBird! I do see, however, from your correct usage of the second person plural, that you have a proper appreciation of Nearctic culture.

Lol - take it up with eBird! I do see, however, from your correct usage of the second person plural, that you have a proper appreciation of Nearctic culture.

Nothing to do with eBird. If you set it to English UK names it will come up with Greylag. If you set it to English American it will come up with Graylag. It comes back to two countries separated by the same language.

As it simply means Grey goose and comes from the old English word that can be written either grei or grai, either works historically.

Nothing to do with eBird. If you set it to English UK names it will come up with Greylag. If you set it to English American it will come up with Graylag. It comes back to two countries separated by the same language.

As it simply means Grey goose and comes from the old English word that can be written either grei or grai, either works historically.

Good point - in my blind Americentrism, I'd forgotten that UK names were even an option. Just to be provocative, I'll note that Samuel Johnson himself preferred the spelling "gray"...

Good point - in my blind Americentrism, I'd forgotten that UK names were even an option. Just to be provocative, I'll note that Samuel Johnson himself preferred the spelling "gray"...

His dictionary is a fine read, it will teach you things you never knew.... ;)

I like "blind Americentrism". I may find a use for that in due course :t:

John

John still plugging away. Remarkable tenacity from someone who has already beaten his own record:-

https://birdingyear.com/bus-drivers-holiday/

All the best

Appears to be planning to head back to Alaska, I guess his aim is both Whooper Swan and Gray-headed Chickadee (Siberian Tit), although I have not seen any records of either this winter. I guess Steller's Eider may still be there as some have been on Kodiak recently.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back