• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BirdwatchingBulgaria.com (1 Viewer)

Hi Simon we have visited Bulgaria 5 times in recent years (going in 2009) and do our own thing without guides. We've often met up with birders using local guides all from Neophron and in some cases birded with them.

Without exception all have commented on the good service the guides have provided for very reasonable fee's plus the added bonus they will often use their own vehicle which saves the outlay of a hire car and the driving.

ATB

Stewart

Hi Simon we have visited Bulgaria 5 times in recent years (going in 2009) and do our own thing without guides. We've often met up with birders using local guides all from Neophron and in some cases birded with them.

Without exception all have commented on the good service the guides have provided for very reasonable fee's plus the added bonus they will often use their own vehicle which saves the outlay of a hire car and the driving.

ATB

Stewart

And Neophon's profits go to bird conservation work in Bulgaria.

Steve

ATB

Stewart

Hi Stewart

I'd be keen to hear any advice you can give, about areas to go places to stay etc. as I'm there this August (see previous thread).

Cheers

I'll be taking Spanish birders to Bulgaria this May, and we'll be contributing to the conservation of the Imperial Eagle (directly) and to other conservation casues (indirectly) by employing Neophron's services.

Steve
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com

Just to add another thumbs-up for Neophron and Dimiter Georgiev.

A major EU grant has just been awarded for the Imperial Eagle work in Bulgaria, but of course that does not mean that the battle for that species has been won- and Egyptian Vulture is next in need of urgent attention (60ish pairs in Bulgaria in 2000 now down to 30ish).

Neophron is owned by the oldest bird conservation organisation in Bulgaria (Bulgarian Society for the Protection of Birds: BSPB) and all the funds raised form the tours are invested into conservation. The UK RSPB is a major partner of BSPB which brings additional credibility to the activities of Neophron. Quite often local groups of RSPB come on tours with Neophron. That's why i would recommend to every birdwatcher interested in supporting bird conservation in Bulgaria to use Neophron. The company has a variety of tours but in general they can be tailored according to your interests and time.
Also the company is a part of the largest network of birdwatchers. Bulgaria has no bird alert system, so the communication about rare birds is only within this network of people. The guides of Neophron are the first to learn where the interesting birds and sites are. There is no other company or NGO in Bulgaria with this number of birdwatchers like Neophron and BSPB. This additionally guarantees your fantastic birdwatching experience from Bulgaria.

http://www.neophron.com/

Last edited:
I used Neophron for a 2 day tour . i was travelling by myself and based in Sunny Beach. I told them in advance what species I hoped to see and they did a fantastic job. I really expected too much travelling but they did it! One day up the coast to Durankulak / Lake Shabla etc, and then another day into Imperial Eagle territory in the sakar mountains and onto the mountains of Madzorovo . Als briefly checked out lakes around Bourgas (which is close to Sunny Beach).

Over 2 days got 124 species including so many highlights - Eastern Imperial Eagle / Lesser Spotted Eagle / Egyptian Vulture / Griffon Vulture / Little owl / Montagu's Harrier / Marsh harrier / Black Kite / Steppe Buzzard / Long-Legged Buzzard / Common Buzzard / Red-Footed Falcon / Hobby / Kestrel / Bee-eater / Roller / Golden Oriole / Red-Backed Shrike / Lesser Grey Shrike / Woodchat Shrike / Semi-Collared Flycatcher / Ortolan Bunting / Rock Bunting / Black-Headed Bunting / Alpine Swift / Red-Rumped Swallow / Calandra Lark/ Short-Toed Lark / Woodlark / Sombre Tit / Olive-Tree Warbler / Paddyfield Warbler / Subalpine Warbler / Marsh Warbler / Barred Warbler / Olivaceous Warbler / Great Reed Warbler / Eastern Bonelli's Warbler / Isabelline Wheatear / Pied Wheatear / Hawfinch / Middle Spotted Woodpecker / Corn Bunting / Spanish Sparrow / Tree Sparrow / Nightingale / Thrush Nightingale / Collared Pratincole / Ferruginous Duck / Dalmation Pelican / White Pelican / Purple Heron / Black Stork / White Stork / Little Bittern / Night Heron...plus lopads more common stuff - 124 species in all.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back