• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll id - Fairburn Ings UK (1 Viewer)

frogstar

Hi could someone confirm this is a lesser redpoll Carduelis cabaret
It was seen at Fairburn Ings at Pickup hide. Sorry about the poor photos. Thanks in advance
Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_3740.jpg
    IMG_3740.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3741.jpg
    IMG_3741.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 305
Its very pale for a Lesser, especially on the mantle where it looks almost frosty coloured. Were the wing bars white or buff coloured, its difficult to be sure from the photos.
My guess would be a possible Mealy (Common) Redpoll. Any more images?

These are the sort of birds that really throw me !

I think it is a pale Lesser Redpoll coming into breeding plumage. Structure wise to me it looks like a Lesser, but could also fit Coue's (which i don't think it is). Especially the head and bill. To me it is not a typical mealy based on structure, tho they of course do vary.

Plumage wise the streaking on the flanks is not typical of Lesser, which usually show a few lines on upper breast sides with a darker ground colour, even when underparts are chiefly pale or clean. The streaking could be ok for Coue's and IMO is not typically thick or regular enough for Mealy.

The bird has a nice broad pale wing panel which if gleaming white is a good pro-Coue's feature, or Mealy.

The undertail covert seems to show an arrow head though there is overlap with regard to all 3.

The rump I think will rule out Coue's Arctic, but we cannot see it properly. But the pale brown mantle may be too light for Lesser?

That's why i am confused !! Still think its a pale Lesser, but I am probably wrong & it may indeed be a Mealy.

I give up!

Last edited:
Personally I don't think it is Coues'.
Mealy COuld be possible but to me the wing bars don't look white enough, especially towards the edge of the wing where they are quite brown.
On this I wouldn't like to call it anything but Lesser, on the pale side however.

I think Lesser, the images show the bird to have Lesser Redoll structure and feel about it, I dont think the bird is bulky enough, nor is the wingbar white enough.

I know individual birds can vary but this certainly is more a LESSER, if you understand that...lol

I certainly wouldn't think Lesser if I saw it on our feeders but I suppose the burden of proof is the other way around in England.

Now I know why I get so confused. Sorry I don't have any more photos from the same day but I have posted 2 from today at the same place. I presume they are the same as there appears to be a large flock staying in the area. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_3861.jpg
    IMG_3861.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3862.jpg
    IMG_3862.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 67
The width of that undertail covert is considerable - like an arrowhead. Pale enough to be Mealy but i still think this is a pale lesser. May not be the same bird tho. I am probably wrong!

Redpoll Id

Now I know why I get so confused. Sorry I don't have any more photos from the same day but I have posted 2 from today at the same place. I presume they are the same as there appears to be a large flock staying in the area. Thanks for looking.

Hi I would favour a pale lesser Redpoll, in fact a first winter Male on unmoulted greater coverts and the pointed tail feathers. It doesnt look robust enough for a Mealy. Here's one I caught earlier as they say to compare with. Male Mealys dont have that much pink on them as first year birds. regards
Hugh

Attachments

• Common redpoll side on 23 dec 2010.jpg
    Common redpoll side on 23 dec 2010.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 79
They are both Lesser Redpolls. To repeat what I said on a diffrent thread I get both Common Redpolls and Lesser Redpolls in my back garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back