• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll sp Yorkshire UK (1 Viewer)

Pitvar

Saw a flock of Redpoll today - sadly as the light was fading, but I think I have a Lesser, a Lesser with more pink to the chest [as it would in summer] and finally a Mealy/Common?

All three were photgraphed within a few minutes, in the same tree so the colder, grey colouration of the last bird, white wing bars and its slightly bigger size is leading me to Mealy?

Confirmation/comments would be most welcome!

Attachments

• DSC_8255.jpg
    DSC_8255.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC_8313.jpg
    DSC_8313.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_8332.jpg
    DSC_8332.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_8394.jpg
    DSC_8394.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 166
In my humble opinion the first three are Lesser Redpolls and the last is a Common Redpoll. I know because they usually appear in my back garden both Lesser Redpolls and Common Redpolls.

Last edited:
Thanks very much all, it is good to have confirmed a Mealy after searching through hundreds of individuals [I think its the third time I've checked Redpoll ID on here :eek!:]

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back