• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cranes and Storks in flight (1 Viewer)

Carpathian Ed

Today I had a flock of cranes (Grus grus) pass over the house migrating south from Poland. All summer we've had storks (which left just before the stag rut began) and I discovered that there is little info online to help birders discern between the two species in flight, so I'm posting a few photos to help with silhouetting them.
White storks (Ciconia ciconia) are obviously easily identified by their bright white colouring and the clacking of their beaks, and cranes by their incessant 'whooping', but when high up flying in formation these giant birds can be easily confused. Hopefully these (poorly taken) photos help a bit.

Attachments

• cranemigration1.jpg
    cranemigration1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 36
  • storkscirclingoverhead.jpg
    storkscirclingoverhead.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 34
  • storksoverhouse.jpg
    storksoverhouse.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 32
One difference is that cranes flap wings raising them clearly above the body height, and outer primaries curve elegantly upwards.

Storks flap wings downwards, and primaries curve very little.

Cranes fly in V-formation, storks don't, or only very rarely?

Interesting to learn.
My only experience with migrating storks was in the Pyrenees, they came over in a pretty neat V during a build up to bad weather.
Some almost came down to our village (Gedre, Iirc), but the flock reconsidered and they moved on into the darkening sky. Afaik, this is just before the crest of the Pyrenees, so the older birds might be anticipating a long coast down to the Spanish countryside just past the bad weather.
Made me appreciate the hazards of migration, it is not a picnic.

Cranes fly in V-formation, storks don't, or only very rarely?

Essentially correct, though large flocks of cranes can soar and loose the V formation. For all intents and purposes though, a V is going to be cranes, a loose conglomeration is going to be storks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back