• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changing from straight view to angled? (1 Viewer)

Albertabirder

Currently own STX 95mm, thinking of moving to BTX....how big a problem would move to angled view present? Been using straight view 25+years. Looking for any and all opinions, Thanks

Michael

Currently own STX 95mm, thinking of moving to BTX....how big a problem would move to angled view present? Been using straight view 25+years. Looking for any and all opinions, Thanks

Michael

Hio Michael,

I have both and still using the STX mainly for digiscoping and BTX for long observation. The BTX module has a built in sighter (pic with orange circle) and you can get your subject faster with it

IMG_20201020_134653.jpg

If you haven't seen this BTX video, check it out by Swarovski Optik https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5txMIqRPTs

In the UK think it's 90% + angled use (all scopes), and in new users think it's higher; all the old straight users have swapped to angled essentially without any problems I believe.

Michael
with the BTX, it only could become a problem/issue if you are spotting something significantly lower than your standing location - not so much of an issue with a regular ATX as it can be rotated.

I have both, an STX and the BTX - aside tripod height setup, the rest is intuitive. The aiming gizmo on the BTX helps a lot.
Yes, it's heavier and bulkier but provides a more relaxed viewing IMO

Depends on how you use your scope. Biggest problem with angled is that it cannot be inserted into line of sight. With bins, or with straight scopes, you can be following a moving bird with your eye, then insert the optic in the line of sight and (bingo!) the target will be in view. With angled scope, you have to look away from the target in a different direction to see the view through the scope. Consequently, straight scopes work better for getting on moving targets.

--AP

Ditto what Alexis states....but at the same time, you get used to the angled scope fairly easy.... just practice at it.

I hardly see 'any' straight scopes in the field.....

If you have any hint of wanting to do digiscoping, you will need an angled scope. Even phone scoping = angled scope....

...If you have any hint of wanting to do digiscoping, you will need an angled scope. Even phone scoping = angled scope....

I prefer a straight scope when digiscoping when my target is as previously described (i.e. moving). Not sure why angled would be better. I do all viewing while digiscoping through the camera viewfinder.

--AP

Thanks for the comments, I should add that the current viewing is conducted at a Golden Eagle Migration site in the Canadian Rockies. The few visitors to the site that bring angled scopes have difficulties in locating raptors high in the sky, I feel it is because when looking in the sky with no reference point (ie horizon, trees, shoreline etc) it becomes frustrating to initially locate the subject. The order of counting at the site is, 1st) locate with bino's, 2nd) relocate with scope at low power, 3rd) zoom closer and focus so as to age the raptor (that is over a 1000m away), remember while we are doing all this, we are panning across the sky waiting for a moment for the raptor to turn or soar or flex a tail so as to determine an Adult or sub-adult or juvenile, sorry for all the detail. As Alexis comments " Biggest problem with angled is that it cannot be inserted into line of sight. With bins, or with straight scopes, you can be following a moving bird with your eye, then insert the optic in the line of sight" really comes into play, I have had fantasies of the BTX coming out in a Straight View but alas I think it is just that...Fantasy

Michael

If you have any hint of wanting to do digiscoping, you will need an angled scope. Even phone scoping = angled scope....

Straight scopes work fine for digiscoping - I just handhold my phone for it. Switched to one after a decade or so of angled scopes, and it's better (for me, anyway).

Straight scopes work fine for digiscoping - I just handhold my phone for it. Switched to one after a decade or so of angled scopes, and it's better (for me, anyway).

I have constantly problems with angled scopes as I then mostly need to look through the close-focussing part of my eyeglasses. And I can't just simply take off those glasses due to astigmatism.

Thanks for the comments, I should add that the current viewing is conducted at a Golden Eagle Migration site in the Canadian Rockies. The few visitors to the site that bring angled scopes have difficulties in locating raptors high in the sky, I feel it is because when looking in the sky with no reference point (ie horizon, trees, shoreline etc) it becomes frustrating to initially locate the subject. The order of counting at the site is, 1st) locate with bino's, 2nd) relocate with scope at low power, 3rd) zoom closer and focus so as to age the raptor (that is over a 1000m away), remember while we are doing all this, we are panning across the sky waiting for a moment for the raptor to turn or soar or flex a tail so as to determine an Adult or sub-adult or juvenile, sorry for all the detail. As Alexis comments " Biggest problem with angled is that it cannot be inserted into line of sight. With bins, or with straight scopes, you can be following a moving bird with your eye, then insert the optic in the line of sight" really comes into play, I have had fantasies of the BTX coming out in a Straight View but alas I think it is just that...Fantasy

Michael

Try this cable tie method by Kabetz https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99084 and I found it indispensable for my Nikon angled scope last time. I always watch raptors with my scope with the cable tie.

I've used both and they each have there plus's and minus over each other, but for finding your intended target/bird at a long ways off or in open sky or back grounds that don't have a lot of structurer or everything looks the same the straight is a lot easier in my opinion.

For me it’s the magnification. I find with the ATX I just make sure to be at the lower 30X, point the end of the scope at the target, look in, and it is almost always there. such as pointing the 115 at the bald eagle’s nest and the nest will be in view.

Attachments

• F472D3F7-8755-42EB-9A3B-56F732B6EA22.jpeg
    F472D3F7-8755-42EB-9A3B-56F732B6EA22.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
I have constantly problems with angled scopes as I then mostly need to look through the close-focussing part of my eyeglasses. And I can't just simply take off those glasses due to astigmatism.
Robert, It sounds like you wear 'progressive' spectacles with zones for long distance, short distance (computer screen/car dashboard) and reading (close-focussing). I also wear spectacles like this and like you I have astigmatism. I wear my spectacles all the time including when using binos and scopes (I have two, both 'angled'). I never choose a zone of my glasses to look through, I simply put my spectacles against the eyecup in the position where I can see the full circular field of view and I get sharp images with no problem. So I am puzzled why you would need to use the close-focusing zone with an angled scope.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back