• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Damselfly, Bowers Marsh, Essex. UK (1 Viewer)

Curlew2

Hi,

Any help appreciated as I can't match them to any pictures in my book. Taken last Friday, mid afternoon adjacent to a well vegetated pond.

Attachments

• RSCN4174.JPG
    RSCN4174.JPG
    776.5 KB · Views: 44
  • RSCN4178.jpg
    RSCN4178.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 31
Try checking the Lestes damselflies. Looks like one of the Emeralds, but I'm a bit ropey on distinguishing them and not sure what's in range where you are.

Thank you for your reply.

I was erring on Emerald Damselfly which occurs in this part of the country along with Scarce and Willow Emerald. However, the colours threw me. Blue for the male thorax and brown for the body with no emerald showng at all. The light was good so I don't think the photos are mis-representative. Do the bodies get browner wth maturity maybe?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

My gut feeling is common emerald. I'm not sure I could totally rule out Scarce but equally I can't see anything that really make me think they are. Not Willow, anyway, as they don't show the blue colours on the males.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back