• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade from the fz 38 to the 150 (1 Viewer)

peter hill

Read a lot of good reports on the 150 on here but is it that much better than the 38 ,i know the 150 has some advantages but is it worth shelling out £300 plus pounds for as i allready have the 38 and am not getting rid of it ,also have a fuji fz31 for digiscoping Cant afford the silly prices that a dlsr + decent lens would cost ,there must be others considering upgrade and the 38 is a good camara in its own right ,any advice would be helpfull :-O

Had FZ38, got FZ150. No comparison. 150 is miles better where it counts - speed of focus, 5.5 frames per second with AF, following birds in flight without shutter blackout, high ISO shots.
Sean

Well i have got the 150 had it now since thursday ,been out today to test it had no luck with the birds but managed a few insect shots and 1 of them was better than i think i could have got with the fz38 ,it was handheld and its a type of bee

Attachments

• bee  macro.JPG
    bee macro.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 105
Nice demonstration of the macro potential. I am in the mind of getting a Canon SX40 or the FZ150 to use with a Raynox lens.

That's a hoverfly by the way, Volucella pellucens.

I also have the FZ38 and really can't decide what to do...

Option 1: keep it
Option 2: upgrade to FZ150
Option 3: upgrade to DSLR
Option 4: downgrade to latest compact 20x zoom

Very tricky...

well, I guess ultimately it would be a dream to take professional standard photos and at least having that possibility would be a reason to choose the DSLR option...

But more realistically, I'm not sure I'm ready to dedicate time specifically to bird photography and I am more someone who goes out walking/birdwatching and has a camera ready for any opportunities that may come up...which points me to one of the others!

I keep thinking I've decided one way and then I think again....part of me wants to try my hand at serious bird photography, but the other feels that I'd rather just have the versatility of a superzoom that might not get the perfect shot, but can be ready to take a picture of an insect one minute and a distant bird the next and will be on me whenever I'm out anywhere rather than only dedictaed photography trips.

Last edited:
I would say in that case, you do not want any camera that does not have a somewhat decent EVF. That is likely to exclude the compact zoom? (at least I do not want a camera without again ever)

Are you happy with the focusing speed of your current setup? Do you often struggle with low light situations producing unacceptably poor quality due to having to use high ISO? If the answer here is no and yes, then I believe the new model is an improvement in both if I have understood correctly.

dSLR is one of those things where you want to be dedicated just due to the cost.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back