• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An old favorite on the Swarovski STX 95 mm scope (1 Viewer)

Neil

I was testing some cameras out in the local park on the new Swarovski STX 95 mm scope and for fun I dusted off the old Canon A640. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this relic camera Auto Focused on the scope and the detail that it picked up.
I will keep it in my bag and test it at distance out on the mudflats soon.
Neil

Canon A640 and Swarovski STX 95 mm scope and Swarovski DCB 11

Hong Kong,China
Feb 2013

Attachments

• bc night heron  A640  stx95 30x IMG_0833.jpg
    bc night heron A640 stx95 30x IMG_0833.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 204
  • flamingo A640 stx95 IMG_0615.jpg
    flamingo A640 stx95 IMG_0615.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 161
  • bc night heron A640  stx95 30xIMG_0556.jpg
    bc night heron A640 stx95 30xIMG_0556.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 220
  • tree sparrow A640  stx95 30x IMG_0666.jpg
    tree sparrow A640 stx95 30x IMG_0666.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 198
When you think back 10 or 12 years to some of the early digiscoping cameras like the Nikon 990, image quality hasn't made all that much of a leap over all this time.

Paul.

I was testing some cameras out in the local park on the new Swarovski STX 95 mm scope and for fun I dusted off the old Canon A640. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this relic camera Auto Focused on the scope and the detail that it picked up.
I will keep it in my bag and test it at distance out on the mudflats soon.
Neil

Canon A640 and Swarovski STX 95 mm scope and Swarovski DCB 11

Hong Kong,China
Feb 2013

Nice work Neil. The photographer makes the difference !

Thanks guys.
One of the important things when digiscoping is that you are "comfortable" while doing it as we are often standing/sitting for long periods of time. In the park I was shooting through railings ,between bushes with the scope at about belly height. I was wonderful to have the rotatable screen on the A840 so that I could stand straight. I think the reason I only got marginal results with the V1 was that I had to crouch down and try to look straight ahead. It was difficult with my back.
Neil.

Sorry if I bother you with maybe already written stuff. Just bought the ATX95 with TLS APO with the aim to take pictures of mainly raptors over huge distances (e.g. Bearded vulture). Was wondering whether some experienced guys can help me with the decission for the right camera. Was thinking of Sony Nex7, Panasonic GH3 or Olympus OM-D E-M5. Any advice which does best with my kit?

Last edited:
Sorry if I bother you with maybe already written stuff. Just bought the ATX95 with TLS APO with the aim to take pictures of mainly raptors over huge distances (e.g. Bearded vulture). Was wondering whether some experienced guys can help me with the decission for the right camera. Was thinking of Sony Nex7, Panasonic GH3 or Olympus OM-D E-M5. Any advice which does best with my kit?

They are all good cameras. The TLS APO was designed for micro four thirds. There is a little shadowing at the edges against skies with the Nex 7
For best video I would like the GH3 but I like the reports of the EM5 as an all around camera but I haven't used either of these two.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back