• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sand partridge Help....! (1 Viewer)

Andrew Ellis

Hi Guy's I need some info on the under wing detail of the Sand partridge from the middle east notably the race from around Arabia UAE etc. I have trawled all my reference photo's and Books and come up with nothing Someone out there should have the info I need.

I would go to the British museum in Tring but having studied allot of bird skins in my time they will undoubtedly have the wings pined into the body

The Painting I am working on involves them bursting into flight so info is essential

Please can anyone help

Andrew

Hi Guy's I need some info on the under wing detail of the Sand partridge from the middle east notably the race from around Arabia UAE etc....
Please can anyone help

Andrew

Hello there- I've dropped you a PM as the reference is a bit gory (perhaps not surprising for the unfortunately named "Ammo"perdix)!

For the traditionalists amongst us, here's the underwing (albeit asian sub) from a pedigree source:

http://www.oldprintshop.com/cgi-bin/gallery.pl?action=detail&inventory_id=39176&itemno=1

Hey Andrew, might be worth emailing Mark Adams at Tring and see if he could photo one for ya, or Paul Sweet at the AMNH in New York is really helpful when it comes to photos...they've sent me loads of stuff for the book I'm working on, sometimes quickly other times not so!

Ads

Hey Andrew, might be worth emailing Mark Adams at Tring and see if he could photo one for ya, or Paul Sweet at the AMNH in New York is really helpful when it comes to photos...they've sent me loads of stuff for the book I'm working on, sometimes quickly other times not so!

Ads

Hi , Thanks for that is there any chance you could forward his email to me via PM I will try that and Pauls for that matter. Thankyou I will post the full painting up once I get the thing finished

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andrew I dont know if this will help not to good a repro.

r/h bot. your sand partridge as you know

l/h bot. see-see partridge very simular from below.

Attachments

• scan 01-12-2009 20h35m08s.jpg
    scan 01-12-2009 20h35m08s.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 115
It was taken from The Encyclopedia of Birds printed by Orbis . It came out years ago as a magazine which made up 7 volumes .

Iv'e found plenty of refs. but this is the only one so far with an under veiw of the wing.

Attachments

• L1190307.jpg
    L1190307.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 102
It was taken from The Encyclopedia of Birds printed by Orbis . It came out years ago as a magazine which made up 7 volumes .

Iv'e found plenty of refs. but this is the only one so far with an under veiw of the wing.

That's a blast from the 1970s Arthur- looks like Peter Hayman work and if so can be trusted to be accurate too..

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back