• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon's first mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera - the EOS-M (1 Viewer)

I was really hoping that Canon would come out with a 2.7x crop factor mirrorless, with phase detect AF on chip like the Nikon 1.

If Canon had come up with that type of "1" format, but with bigger, articulated, higher quality screens, smaller overall dimensions, lighter weight, an ergonomic accessory vertical battery grip, continuous AF with adapted lenses, etc, etc........ah, it would've been the best of all worlds.......

Being able to get the magnification range of the big boys (without carting around 5+ kg of gear), using only 3,4 & 500mm lenses - that's what it's all about for me!

Heck - if these companies really wanted to get inventive, they'd even make the teleconverters with the adapters built in to the one compact unit - why all these add-ons?? (TC +Adapter) more cost, more weight, more size (more protection for the APS-C formats) ;)
more customers going elsewhere! :-C (oh hang on, no-one's come up with something so sensible yet!)
(jeez - imagine being able to stick a 400f4 DO on a 2.7x crop factor.....)

This new APS-C mirrorless is not for me, kind of a no-mans land.

CANON! my wallet awaits..... STILL!!

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Canon were never going to go for a small senser as found in the Nikon 1 cameras, they we always likely to go for an APS-C sized one or possibly the slightly smaller senser used in the G1X. The point of these cameras is not to allow current SLR users to get more reach with existing lenses, they are aimed at point and shoot users who want more but don't want the bulk of a DSLR. I suspect he vast majority of mirrorless cameras will never see anyting but the kits lens, which is probably why the development of lenses for the various mirrorless systems has been quite slow.

I suspect he vast majority of mirrorless cameras will never see anyting but the kits lens, which is probably why the development of lenses for the various mirrorless systems has been quite slow.

They become an oxymoron when a large lens is fitted IMHO .

Their electronic shutter is good reason enough to buy one, especially for use with lenses without image stabilization. The elimination of mirror slap is a boon in many shooting situations.

If you want mirrorless, the m43 system to my mind is THE show in town. The other systems are too new, not enough lenses, not good enough camera bodies, or both.

Niels

Canon were never going to go for a small senser as found in the Nikon 1 cameras, they we always likely to go for an APS-C sized one or possibly the slightly smaller senser used in the G1X. The point of these cameras is not to allow current SLR users to get more reach with existing lenses, they are aimed at point and shoot users who want more but don't want the bulk of a DSLR. I suspect he vast majority of mirrorless cameras will never see anyting but the kits lens, which is probably why the development of lenses for the various mirrorless systems has been quite slow.

This.......................:t:

I see this as a reasonable addition to a tripod mounted big lens where the optical viewfinder is less of an issue, a magnified image for manual focus could be useful.
But that comes from a person who has hardly used a big lens, so I'd love to know if my assumption is wrong :)

For hand-held bird photography an optical viewfinder is non-negotiable for me.

The shutter is quite a loud click, surely it does not need to be - so that puts me off it
Rob.

Rob,
I'm annoyed at the noise that most of the new cameras make too. The D800 is the worst and can't be used at close quarters on skittish birds, neither Micro Four Thirds.
The Nikon V1 has an Electronic Mode though which runs silent at 10/30/60 rps, so this is what I use in the bush "up close and personal".
Neil

Rob,
I'm annoyed at the noise that most of the new cameras make too. The D800 is the worst and can't be used at close quarters on skittish birds, neither Micro Four Thirds.
The Nikon V1 has an Electronic Mode though which runs silent at 10/30/60 rps, so this is what I use in the bush "up close and personal".
Neil

I've found that the sight of one swinging around and aiming a long lens is far more disconcerting to a bird than the shutter sound.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back