• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swift audubon kestrel 10x50 h. r. 5. (1 Viewer)

stuart C smith

swansong
i have a pair of swift kestrel 10x50 hr5. binoculars very, very, near mint . cased boxed etc anybody know how much their worth please. regards stuart.

stuart C smith said:
i have a pair of swift kestrel 10x50 hr5. binoculars very, very, near mint . cased boxed etc anybody know how much their worth please. regards stuart.

I would guess $175+ but don't do it - I sold mine years ago and have regretted it ever since.

stuart C smith said:
thanks chartwell99 thats not a lot of money.

Unfortunately, full size porros with fold down rubber eyecups, faux leather (gutta percha) exterior and no weatherproofing are presently very much out of favor. I sold my Kestrel believing in error that it was redundant of my 8.5 x 44 Audubon. Both the Kestrel and the Audubon are superb glasses.

chartwell99 said:
Unfortunately, full size porros with fold down rubber eyecups, faux leather (gutta percha) exterior and no weatherproofing are presently very much out of favor. I sold my Kestrel believing in error that it was redundant of my 8.5 x 44 Audubon. Both the Kestrel and the Audubon are superb glasses.
thanks chartwell99 getting offers to buy already.

Kestrel 10x50 Eye Relief

Hi Stuart,

Do you know what the eye relief is on them? I ask because I have a feeling it is in the region of 10mm which could cause problems with spectacle wearers.

Chris

zurtfox said:
Hi Stuart,

Do you know what the eye relief is on them? I ask because I have a feeling it is in the region of 10mm which could cause problems with spectacle wearers.

Chris
hi chris, its 10mm regards stuart.

stuart C smith said:

Stewart,

Basically, you've got a reasonably hard to find collectible, which aficionados will pay more for based on condition and paperwork. For one in superb condition, $200-250 USD would not be unreasonable to expect in a bidding situation. If I didn't already own one in beautiful condition that's what I might be willing to pay. Incidentally, a near-mint standard 804 Audubon will fetch about $200 nowadays, and an 804ED about $400 if you can find one with nice cosmetics and in working condition. I think the 826 Audubon/Kestrel is less plentiful than the standard 804, but I have no production or sales numbers to base that on. Other than not being waterproof, I concur that both the 8.5x44 and 10x50 Audubons are magnificent instruments, only surpassed by the 804ED, in my opinion.

Incidentally, what are the first two digits of the serial number, i.e., the date, and is "Audubon" mentioned on it?

Ed

Last edited:
elkcub said:
Stewart,

Basically, you've got a reasonably hard to find collectible, which aficionados will pay more for based on condition and paperwork. For one in superb condition, $200-250 USD would not be unreasonable to expect in a bidding situation. If I didn't already own one in beautiful condition that's what I might be willing to pay. Incidentally, a near-mint standard 804 Audubon will fetch about $200 nowadays, and an 804ED about $400 if you can find one with nice cosmetics and in working condition. I think the 826 Audubon/Kestrel is less plentiful than the standard 804, but I have no production or sales numbers to base that on. Other than not being waterproof, I concur that both the 8.5x44 and 10x50 Audubons are magnificent instruments, only surpassed by the 804ED, in my opinion.

Incidentally, what are the first two digits of the serial number, i.e., the date, and is "Audubon" mentioned on it?

Ed
full digits 001012 , audubon is not mentioned on them. regards stuart

Last edited:
Well, as you already know, they were made in 2000. Mine are two years older, made in 1998. Lots of folks are probably jealous of us. hehe ;)

Enjoy the view,
Ed
PS. Sorry to misspell your name.

Last edited:
;) ;)
elkcub said:
Well, as you already know, they were made in 2000. Mine are two years older, made in 1998. Lot's of folks are probably jealous of us. hehe ;)

Enjoy the view,
Ed
hi elkcub, dont worry about the spelling, i get called allsorts of things, as long as its not late for dinner i dont mind. thanks for your good wishes, if i get a really, really good price i might sell them as it will save the wife selling them when i am gone. kind regards stuart, living on the edge. ;)

Last edited:
elkcub said:
Well, as you already know, they were made in 2000. Mine are two years older, made in 1998. Lots of folks are probably jealous of us. hehe ;)

Enjoy the view,
Ed

But then, some folks wouldn't--especially if they have the Audubon and Kestrel, nee Audubon 10x50, in their arsenal.

Merry Christmas, Ed,

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back