• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Never been in July (1 Viewer)

ScottishBirder

THE HUNGRY BIRDER
Hey everyone, I am visiting Florida at start of July and will be staying in Davenport. I know its not good time of year but can anyone help with sites and species I can see. Any help would be appreciated cheers.
Oh I have transport so getting around no problem. o:D

Hey everyone, I am visiting Florida at start of July and will be staying in Davenport. I know its not good time of year but can anyone help with sites and species I can see. Any help would be appreciated cheers.
Oh I have transport so getting around no problem. o:D
Same for me, never been in Florida before. Though I hope to see some lifers like Brown Pelican, Limpkin, Wood Stork, Anhinga, etc.. Got yesterday my new book " A Birders guide to Forida" and it looks promissing.

Yep - it'll be hot. Likely near 100 degrees, with humidity well into the upper 80% region, or higher. Chance of thunderstorms nearly every day - but never all day.

Birding is still possible in Florida year-round, even the ugly summer can have some neat birds around if you're willing to deal with the heat. I can't say specifically what might be in the Davenport area...but some idea of the Florida birds I have down here south of Lake Okeechobee in July:
least bittern, black-crowned night heron, yellow-croened night heron, black-necked stilt, purple gallinule, cattle egret, great egret, great blue heron, green heron, little blue heron, tricolor heron, boat-tailed grackle, northern mockingbird, northern cardinal, red-bellied woodpecker, blue jay, scrub jay, cormorant, anhinga, ground dove, white-winged dove, mourning dove, collared dove, tree swallow, linpkin, wood stork, glossy ibis, ibis, black bellied whistling duck, mottled duck, roseated spoonbill, red-winged blackbird, european starling, red-shouldered hawk, cooper's hawk, royal tern, monk parakeet, nanday parakeet, brown thrasher, pelican, ring-billed gull, laughing gull, and osprey.

If you decide to come down south of the lake, there are a few easy spots to see virtually all of those birds in a day - Wakodahatchee wetlands and Green Cay wetlands, both in Boynton beach, the Boynton Beach inlet are all within 15 minutes' drive, and you'd probably net 85% of those species in a single morning or afternoon. From Davenport, you'd probably be about 2-hours' drive. The swampier areas to the south tend to have more of those water-type birds through the summer - I couldn't say if there are spots north and west of the lake that have those same species, but surely they've got a few others that you might see more commonly up there than we do here (eagles, for example).

Yep - it'll be hot. Likely near 100 degrees, with humidity well into the upper 80% region, or higher. Chance of thunderstorms nearly every day - but never all day.

Birding is still possible in Florida year-round, even the ugly summer can have some neat birds around if you're willing to deal with the heat. I can't say specifically what might be in the Davenport area...but some idea of the Florida birds I have down here south of Lake Okeechobee in July:
least bittern, black-crowned night heron, yellow-croened night heron, black-necked stilt, purple gallinule, cattle egret, great egret, great blue heron, green heron, little blue heron, tricolor heron, boat-tailed grackle, northern mockingbird, northern cardinal, red-bellied woodpecker, blue jay, scrub jay, cormorant, anhinga, ground dove, white-winged dove, mourning dove, collared dove, tree swallow, linpkin, wood stork, glossy ibis, ibis, black bellied whistling duck, mottled duck, roseated spoonbill, red-winged blackbird, european starling, red-shouldered hawk, cooper's hawk, royal tern, monk parakeet, nanday parakeet, brown thrasher, pelican, ring-billed gull, laughing gull, and osprey.

If you decide to come down south of the lake, there are a few easy spots to see virtually all of those birds in a day - Wakodahatchee wetlands and Green Cay wetlands, both in Boynton beach, the Boynton Beach inlet are all within 15 minutes' drive, and you'd probably net 85% of those species in a single morning or afternoon. From Davenport, you'd probably be about 2-hours' drive. The swampier areas to the south tend to have more of those water-type birds through the summer - I couldn't say if there are spots north and west of the lake that have those same species, but surely they've got a few others that you might see more commonly up there than we do here (eagles, for example).

Thanks that is the kind of answer I was looking for. I have been to Florida 5 times before but just not in July. Hoping to see lots again this time with trips to Viera and Merritt included. Any info that could help appreciated. Most people saying not good time but there has to be plenty off birds around they dont all pack up and leave. lol
Are there warblers around,? also high on my list is Painted Bunting, any ideas.??/?o:D

Going at least by what's in my area that time of year, warblers are scarce and buntings probably not likely...I don't know if the situation is different farther north. I do see lots of yellow-throated warblers in July, no buntings that I can recall. I had a waterthrush once, but that's a rare thing in July. Sandpipers are common that time of year. Red-winged blackbirds, grackles, cardinals, blue jays, mockingbirds, thrashers...yes. That i can recall, the yellow-throated warbler is the only one I can consistently recall being here in July.

I am located closer to Davenport and can say that you will not see the painted buntings in July. I have 6 painted in my backyard now, and they will all pack up and leave in April. July in my garden last year had cardinal, blue jay, tufted titmouse, brown thrasher, mockingbird, Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, great horned owl, common yellowthroat, Carolina wren, red-bellied woodpecker, downy woodpecker, ibis, vulture, house finch and great-crested flycatcher. There is a nature preserve(lots of shade) in Oakland on Lake Apopka that you should be able to view other birds like: white eyed vireo, eastern meadowlark, red-winged blackbird, summer tanager, pine warbler, yellow throated warbler, eastern bluebird, blue-gray gnatcatcher. There is also a couple of spots on the North side of Lake Apopka, just North of Oakland with all the wading birds you could ever want to see. Lake Apopka is approximately 35 minutes from Davenport.
Some people have located the brown-headed nuthatch and Carolina chickadee, which are also around in July, but I have never seen either. There are also a few owls who reside year round in Florida. I think if you are able to stay at it, you'll see many, many birds!
Here are a couple of pictures of our painted buntings...
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag214/lukebj75/IMG_6859_zpsf258cff5.jpg

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag214/lukebj75/IMG_6874_zps9361ab7a.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back