• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 section tripod legs (1 Viewer)

Boogieshrew

Hi
I’ve been looking for 3 section tripod legs because they’re more stable than 4.

It occurred to me today. Are there any 2 section tripods available?

Anyone seen any?

Hi
I’ve been looking for 3 section tripod legs because they’re more stable than 4.

It occurred to me today. Are there any 2 section tripods available?

Anyone seen any?

Hello Boogleshaw,

I have a nice two section tripos for my 'scope. You can look through the catalogue of this Berlebach company. They are not cheap but they are very well made.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
The Audubon Society offers such a tripod, listed here:
https://www.theaudubonshop.com/product/birder-tripod-legs-only/

Note that it is not light or compact, but it has a sensible design and a reasonable price.

That's quite a claim they make too

"reduce vibration better than any birding tripod (including carbon fiber) on the market – we guarantee it!"

Interesting tripod. I can't find anything like it in Europe.
And while it's not the lightest, I wouldn't say it was overweight.

Imagine if it were carbon fibre.

They are beautiful stent they. They make me think of pioneer photographers in the West.

QUOTE=Pinewood;3883077]Hello Boogleshaw,

I have a nice two section tripos for my 'scope. You can look threw the catalogue of this Berlebach company. They are not cheap but they are very well made.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:[/QUOTE]

As for vibration reduction.... I was in the shop looking for a scope-tripod-head combination when the owner (Jerry Connolly) showed me The Birder. To allay my fears of two-section legs and a tall center column, he had me look through a scope racked out to maximum magnification mounted on a Birder. As I did so, he tapped the scope, not gently. The time it took to come to repose was so quick as to be surprising. Moreover, the column was extended almost all the way. That demonstration was a deal closer.

Last edited:
As for vibration reduction.... I was in the shop looking for a scope-tripod-head combination when the owner (Jerry Connolly) showed me The Birder. To allay my fears of two-section legs and a tall center column, he had me look through a scope racked out to maximum magnification mounted on a Birder. As I did so, he tapped the scope, not gently. The time it took to come to repose was so quick as to be surprising. Moreover, the column was extended almost all the way. That demonstration was a deal closer.

I said above “imagine if it was cf” but just reread the Audubon description:

“More stable and far more durable than the much more brittle (and expensive) carbon fiber.”

Added to what you sat St Elmo, I am very intrigued.

Could be a case of one of my favourites, the rule of KISS. keep it simple stupid.

Don't believe me..... I'm kind of partial to that shop and the experts behind the counter.... (Leica UV, Carl Zeiss Victory FL, Pentax PF80EDA, Birder tripod, and a lot of feeders and books).... so, there was a guy in Australia who was looking for the same thing and I hooked him up with the Audubon Shop.... as I recall he was extremely happy.... give me time, I'll dig up his screen name....

Guy's name was aussiewatcher.... don't know if he's still around... he hasn't posted in about three years... this is what he said back in June of '16...

"Just a quick follow up,I took the punt and followed St.Elmos advice and purchased "the Birder"tripod with the Rc128 head.Janet was such a good communicator (and so helpful) arranging the freight to Aussie etc.It took less than a week to arrive, and I am so damn happy with it---looks pretty tough,easy to use and the best part its very very stable!
Sorted--no sweat!
Thanks to all for your advice.
Cheers-Eric"

I hope this was helpful.

I am pretty much decided on it now. I’ve asked the Audubon shop about shipping to UK.

Thank everyone for your input.

I will put a manfrotto 500AH head on it for my Nikon EDG 85. It will be a heavy set up but the big scope needs big support.

Hi St Elmo---my apologies, I have been tied up with other stuff of late and just noticed this post.I hope that Boogieshrew did give the "Birder" a try.
As mentioned its been a while----------
I find the "Birder" very stable and a real pleasure to use with my ED82 straight field-scope/128rc. I cant really comment on weight (as I have not used a composite pod) but I am still over the moon with the set up as a whole.I also purchased the "Scopac" back pack style carrier which is real nice to have on a long day!
Cheers-Eric

I did get a Birder, of sorts anyway. I picked up a used Sanford & Davies Magnum which is basically the same model. Very nice tripod. Big, heavyish but not as heavy as you might think. With a Manfrotto 500 AH on it, it’s fantastic.

Due to information on this thread I ordered the Audubon Birder tripod to use with my Swaro ATX 85. So far, very pleased, a perfect match.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back