• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (2 Viewers)

It was time for a run.
The first Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook.
I had been waiting for a Kingfisher back at the Dental Hospital. Just for a laugh I gave some Kingfisher calls.
I was really surprised when a Kingfisher actually flew in.
It made me laugh.
My run continued to the River Rea.
I couldn't find a Kingfisher.
Just as I was giving up and at the point where I had to leave the Rea, I heard the loudest, longest, two tone Kingfisher call.
I took a closer look, two Kingfisher!
Maybe summer is not over lol.
Great!

One of yesterday's River Rea Kingfisher pair still in the same spot this morning.
The water was fast and brown.
The Bourn Brook was not so bad and it was great to see the Kingfisher flying, low and at high speed towards me along the brook.

Both the River Rea and Bourn Brook, were brown and fast flowing from the rain.
No chance of a Kingfisher.
Along the Bourn Brook I am enjoying the Starlings that gather on the power lines overhead.
They whistle and fly out and catch insects.
There were approx 50 at one point.

Last edited:
I was up early yesterday to check out the Bourn Brook.
The Kingfisher was low over the brook by the blue bridge.
At the River Rea, the water was faster, then I could see a small dot flying towards me.
The Kingfisher flew in with a few calls. It flew off.
Then a couple minutes later a bird flew high over my head and it was the Kingfisher.

Yesterday on the Bourn Brook the water was brown & fast due to the rain. A Mallard struggled against it. I thought no chance for a Kingfisher. Then next minute the Kingfisher up the brook from under me & the bridge. It was very low over the choppy water and it had a fish. Then it was back over the valley so it could fish ok despite the fast flow & brown colour. Good also to hear Rob had seen one on the canal near Kings Norton. I assume the canal was clearer than the nearby River Rea.

Last edited:
Yesterday morning along the Bourn Brook I heard the shrill of the Kingfisher before I saw it. I think it was as it flew past me so it very bright & loud.
Today the Kingfisher again by the Bourn Brook blue bridge.
About 60+ Starlings on a pylon by the Stonehouse Brook.

It's good along the Bourn Brook in the morning as the sun comes up and the birds become active. Grey Wagtails, a Heron and then the Kingfisher went past. Wrens and Robin's come out. Tits, LTTs pass through.
I heard a Mistle Thrush clicking and a Green Woodpecker calling.

So the Bourn Brook Kingfisher can fish in the fast, brown, high water from the rain. I saw it with a fish and along the brook early morning & late afternoon. It also uses Welches Brook inlet which joins the Bourn

So the Bourn Brook Kingfisher can fish in the fast, brown, high water from the rain. I saw it with a fish and along the brook early morning & late afternoon. It also uses Welches Brook inlet which joins the Bourn

Kingfisher today again by the blue bridge along the Bourn Brook plus a very close heron . I notice that contractors with heavy machinery are removing a lot of large trees at the Harborne Lane end of this section of brook ; the question is why and who commissioned the work.

Kingfisher today again by the blue bridge along the Bourn Brook plus a very close heron . I notice that contractors with heavy machinery are removing a lot of large trees at the Harborne Lane end of this section of brook ; the question is why and who commissioned the work.

Nice one! Yesterday the Kingfisher was flying along opposite the old res.
I thought that about the trees. I think it's part of this;
https://birmingham.cmis.uk.com/Birm...WGewmoAfeNQ16B2MHuCpMRKZMwaG1PaO=ctNJFf55vVA=

It got dark quicker than I thought. The Bourn Brook Kingfisher was along the usual stretch. It put on a good flying display. Starlings gathering overhead. A buzzard flew along the old reservoir.

Before the Woodgate Valley Kingfisher, the usual Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook walkway. It went past a surprise Canadian Goose giving a good tut.

A 10 mile run along the Bourn Brook and River Rea.
At Kings Norton, I gave a Kingfisher call. The Kingfisher appeared and landed right next to me.
Great!

Another 10 mile run along the Bourn Brook & River Rea.
Four Kingfisher.
Good to find the dental hospital one again
One back on the River Rea by Holders lane, not seen one there for a few weeks.
Then one in Kings Norton seems to be regular.

Another 10 mile run along the Bourn Brook & River Rea.
Four Kingfisher.
Good to find the dental hospital one again
One back on the River Rea by Holders lane, not seen one there for a few weeks.
Then one in Kings Norton seems to be regular.

Where's the " dental hospital" ? The only one I know is in the middle of town off Steelhouse Lane .
Yesterday I saw two kingfisher along the Bourn Brook on the stretch behind Reservoir Rd and one by the University.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back