• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

It's Nature Dave, it's best to let them sort it out amongst themselves. The strongest will win and produce strong young.|=)|

Well what can I say Chris!! I dont know what happened with the actual outcome of the fight but this morning I have houseparrows mating in the bushes.

Again lots of activity going on during this mating time, its almost impossible to count how many Housesparrows I have got at the moment as they are constantly flitting from bush to eaves, over to the trees fetching food and back again, extremely noisy, extremely busy............

Meanwhile the rest of the garden is doing its normal stuff

Very intresting stuff this nature isnt it :t:

Well what can I say Chris!! I dont know what happened with the actual outcome of the fight but this morning I have houseparrows mating in the bushes.

Again lots of activity going on during this mating time, its almost impossible to count how many Housesparrows I have got at the moment as they are constantly flitting from bush to eaves, over to the trees fetching food and back again, extremely noisy, extremely busy............

Meanwhile the rest of the garden is doing its normal stuff

Very intresting stuff this nature isnt it :t:

That's good to hear, seems like the winner got his prize.|=)|

I'm also having problems counting young Sparrows. I think they are on their third clutch, which is great. I'm pretty sure I've seen at least 20 fledglings so far. As for Starlings, I'm sure there were at least 30 young this year.

The juvenile Magpies aren't visiting as often now, mainly because the Crows have marked my garden as their territory. They haven't actually killed any Magpies, but they've made their point by harassing them whenever they are in the garden.

And yes, Nature really is very interesting. It's a shame that many people aren't even aware of what's happening in their garden, especially at this time of year.

Almost forgot, both Wood Pigeons have discovered the bread in the scraps feeder. One used to do it occasionally, but he's brought a friend now.

I've attached a poor quality picture (through the window in poor light, it's also ISO 1600, which is pushing my camera's sensor a bit).

Attachments

• DSCF8325.JPG
    DSCF8325.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 81
Almost forgot, both Wood Pigeons have discovered the bread in the scraps feeder. One used to do it occasionally, but he's brought a friend now.

I've attached a poor quality picture (through the window in poor light, it's also ISO 1600, which is pushing my camera's sensor a bit).

Cracking idea with the bread in the feeder Chris. I reckon it will stop the corvids taking the big chunks off in one go, I will give it a try :t:

I am just trying to get some pic of the Great tits I think I have 3 juveniles now, just got to be sure the other two are not the parents...:-O

Cracking idea with the bread in the feeder Chris. I reckon it will stop the corvids taking the big chunks off in one go, I will give it a try :t:

It's the only way I can keep the bread away from the majority of the Pigeons. Starlings, Sparrows, and Collard Doves, all take bread from it. I had to put it in a place where it's difficult, but, as you can see from the photo, not impossible, for the larger Birds to get to.

I am just trying to get some pic of the Great tits I think I have 3 juveniles now, just got to be sure the other two are not the parents...:-O

Yes, it's not easy to tell sometimes, especially when they keep hopping about and flying off. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll get pictures of them Dave.|=)|

I've stopped trying to count the starlings and house sparrows... I'm resorting to 'lots'. |:D|

I'm still amazed that the robin will come to my hand, Dave! I'm trying to be patient with the other birds and they've slowly getting more confident when I'm in the garden, helped by me giving them food when I'm out there. Once one set of birds starts to trust you then the others do take a cue from that and gradually will be more trusting. I try to be unthreatening too, avoiding quick movements or loud noises as much as possible.

House Sparrows

Are Sparrows common where you are Jeff? Or are they in decline like over here?

House Sparrows were imported into the USA 100+ years ago, along with Starlings and Rock Pigeons. All three species have now colonized the whole country and are growing in numbers all the time. This is in spite of the fact they are the only bird species that can be hunted without a licence. Unfortunarely, they've had a bad effect on the numbers of some native birds.

I don't think I've seen a single House Sparrow on any of my trips to the UK over the past 10 years. Amazing.

BTW, we have lots (28?) of species of native sparrows.

(Eurasian) Collared Doves have escaped into the wild here. They're much rarer than other doves but they're spreading all the time.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi, Dave.
The sparrows I saw fighting tussled for ages but eventually both flew off, apparently none the worse for wear.
Jeff

House Sparrows were imported into the USA 100+ years ago, along with Starlings and Rock Pigeons. All three species have now colonized the whole country and are growing in numbers all the time. This is in spite of the fact they are the only bird species that can be hunted without a licence. Unfortunarely, they've had a bad effect on the numbers of some native birds.

Interesting, funny how a species is declining somewhere, but thriving elsewhere.

I don't think I've seen a single House Sparrow on any of my trips to the UK over the past 10 years. Amazing.

BTW, we have lots (28?) of species of native sparrows.

(Eurasian) Collared Doves have escaped into the wild here. They're much rarer than other doves but they're spreading all the time.

Jeff

Maybe you could bring some with you next time you visit.|=)|

CB

It is funny how these pockets of activity affect regions. We get Goldfinch daily, sometimes at their peak we can get 12, more often though it is 2-4. Then you get other forum members such as Moray and Treesparrow who get Yellowhammers :-C how unfair is that ;)

Thats why I really study and contribute to this thread, there are such variations in our gardens............. and thats not mentioning Howard and Jeff in the States :t:

Dave

I agree. This is a great thread and it's always the first I look at. I really should try and contribute more but the time just seems to disappear.

Today it's been non-stop sparrows, tree and house, and I hate to say it (apologies Dave) yellowhammers. GSW has been feeding a youngster although I haven't managed to find where they were nesting. Not in the garden I'm certain of that and now they've fledged I won't be able to find the site. I have found two as you can hardly miss them with the racket that they make but both too far away to be bringing the youngsters here.

Still no siskin young although the adults are very busy at the feeder. Seen blackcap, spotted fly & lesser redpoll down the track but not in the garden. Surely they must see all the other birds flying up here and come and have a look at some stage. Oh well, fingers crossed!

I must make a point of doing a proper count at the feeder of everything I see. Haven't done that since the garden birdwatch thingy. Looks like we might have mist/low cloud tomorrow morning so I'll try and give it a go.

TS

Hi, Chris.
Don't know about sparrows but I've often thought about bringing a few hummingbirds over to the UK in my suitcase!
Jeff

Hi, TS.
We have a great web site here (www.ebird.org) where we can all document our sightings and so add to overall knowledge about bird distribution etc. Do you have anything similar in the UK?
Jeff

The cheeky Robin saga continues! I was sitting outside while dinner was cooking yesterday evening, browsing t'internet on my laptop and the Robin flew over and perched on the feeder pole, looking at me all expectantly. I looked up and said hello (I'm afraid I'm one of the people that tends to talk to wildlife...) and went back to my browsing, but the Robin didn't think I was paying her enough attention and flew down and perched on the top edge of my laptop screen! Since the laptop was, appropriately, on my lap this meant the Robin was staring me in the face only about a foot away! She bobbed a bit and then flew off to the feeder again and then off to the bushes.

I figured that she wanted some suet pellets so put out some for her... it was unlikely that she was thanking me for doing all the weeding earlier and unearthing lots of insects for her (though she clearly really liked that!), I very much doubt Robins understand the concept of thanks. ;) Was an amazing moment though, having a wild creature want to come so close to you.

The cheeky Robin saga continues! I was sitting outside while dinner was cooking yesterday evening, browsing t'internet on my laptop and the Robin flew over and perched on the feeder pole, looking at me all expectantly. I looked up and said hello (I'm afraid I'm one of the people that tends to talk to wildlife...) and went back to my browsing, but the Robin didn't think I was paying her enough attention and flew down and perched on the top edge of my laptop screen! Since the laptop was, appropriately, on my lap this meant the Robin was staring me in the face only about a foot away! She bobbed a bit and then flew off to the feeder again and then off to the bushes.

I figured that she wanted some suet pellets so put out some for her... it was unlikely that she was thanking me for doing all the weeding earlier and unearthing lots of insects for her (though she clearly really liked that!), I very much doubt Robins understand the concept of thanks. ;) Was an amazing moment though, having a wild creature want to come so close to you.

Fantastic :t: You dont get those moments outside of the garden.

Here I have a feeding frenzy.... the noise is incrdedible.

I think :-O I have 3 adult and 2 juvenile Great tits, also 3 Blue tit juveniles with a single adult at the moment, 2 juvenile Coal tits.

The 3 goldfinch have not moved from the nyger, and the Greenfinch are trying to fight with anything that moves.

Madness in motion :-O:-O

Great tit feeding

Hope you like the action:

A sequence of shots of some of the feeding this afternoon, they are still at it now, however the House sparrows (10+) are now flying to the feeders constantly and back again to the eaves

This could get expensive:-O

Attachments

• IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0326.JPG
    IMG_0326.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 54
Hope you like the action:

A sequence of shots of some of the feeding this afternoon, they are still at it now, however the House sparrows (10+) are now flying to the feeders constantly and back again to the eaves

This could get expensive:-O

Lovely pictures Dave, I'd upload at least one of the to the Gallery.

Just so the Crows aren't left out, here's a picture of a juvenile Crow. It helps to explain why the Crows have been so aggressive towards Magpies the last few weeks.

It was only a quick snap through the window; I just had time before it flew off. It's quite big for a youngster, but it's very different from the adults. Hopefully I'll get some better pictures so I can make sure that it is a juvenile.

Attachments

• DSCF8546R.JPG
    DSCF8546R.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Hi all, looks like you've been having a busy time while I have been away!! Some lovely photos too! I am back from a wonderful week on Skye and the Kyle of Lochalsh area. I know that they are not garden birds but I really feel the need to share!!!!
We had a morning alarm call by a Song Thrush, then there was a very noisy Common Sandpiper in the Loch just down from the Cottage.Grey heron, Greylag Geese and Goslings, Coal Tits, Goldcrest and young,Siskins,Swallows and a Robin. Also heard a Cuckoo and Chiffchaff. I also saw Black Guillemot on a boat trip plus Common Seals..
In Plockton we saw Hooded Crows that flew up and dropped shell fish on to the stones in order to get in to them. Again Song Thrushes, House Sparrows,Blackbird, Common gulls and GBB Gulls, Goosander and young. In the surrounding area Stonechat, Twite and Ravens.
On Skye we saw Little grebe, Fulmar, Gannet, Cormorant and Shag, Northern Wheatear, Sea Eagles and a Golden Eagle, Buzzards,Starlings, Ravens, Skylarks,Pied Wagtails
We saw Red Kites as we crossed the Black Isle and a stop at Chanonary point gave us really close up views of our Moray Firth Bottle Nosed Dolphins, along with Common Terns, Common Gulls, Starlings and young, and House Sparrows.
The Twite, Common Sandpiper, Sea Eagles, Black Guillemot and Fulmar all firsts for me!!
Family, birds, fabulous sunshine and stunning scenery almost paradise ( evening Midges a price one had to pay).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back