• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (9 Viewers)

Well im still getting loads of great blue coal tits, starlings, pidgeons, sparrows etc.
Im probably more luckier than i think as we live opposite a park, and weve got lots of big trees at the top of the garden with berries on so that attracts more wildlife. Also i can stand in the shed and watch from there literally about 3 foot away, its great to see!.
While im on, as anyone got one of these window nest boxes and do they work?. They look very interesting if so, cheersB :)

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/window-view-nest-box-1.jpg

Hmm I would like to know if it really works, alot of action this side of the window would scare the birds I would have thought :eek!:

Hmm I would like to know if it really works, alot of action this side of the window would scare the birds I would have thought :eek!:

:-Owell thats it, but it just seems it would be great if it worked, imagine the view, however i would say you would need to be discreet and not put our ugly mugs right in front of it:t::-O

Well I've no experience of Nest boxes, but I can't see how you wouldn't disturb whatever was in there every time you walked past, let alone actually stop and stare. I seriously doubt any bird would even choose it as a nest.

Plus it's surely not going to take 'that much' to knock that off with those little suckers. Not too bad when it's a feeder on the window but a nest with chicks... :eek!:

Yet more lovely photos from everyone! Very impressive.
Jeff we have some resident woodducks on the river nearby and I agree they are beautiful birds. Only saw the male for the first time last week, have a piccie somewhere.

Northern Cardinal again this morning, but photo too blurry to share. Sat on balcony with the dog and a downy woodpecker flew onto a neighbour trellis and started hammering, didn't seem to realise the futility of this. He then divebombed over our heads and settled in the tree next to us watching the world go by, fast becoming one of my favourites here.

Our Downies often get pushed out by Red-bellied Woodpeckers. The female Red-bellied on the attached photo was desperate to get at our feeders today but every time she came, her partner flew in and made her leave. Not sure why,as he didn't use the feeder. Perhaps he thought it wasn't safe for her!

Our regular House Finches have been joined by some new ones. The attached male looks very scruffy but will no doubt look splendid soon.

Flyovers today included a Black Vulture, a Turkey Vulture and a Cooper's Hawk.

Jeff

Attachments

• red-bellied sm.JPG
    red-bellied sm.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 37
  • finch sm.JPG
    finch sm.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 48
I love seeing everyones photos on here, some great ones again!

My garden has picked up over the weekend, the Goldfinch were having thrill rides on the feeders on Saturday with the gale force winds we had. I ended up taking the nyger seed feeder down as it was just falling out. The still came in for the sunflower seed though.

Yesterday was quite busy with Goldfinch, Collared Doves, Starlings, House Sparrows, Blue, Tits, Great Tits and Dunnocks. Plus a couple of Blackbirds too, they haven't been around much lately.

Nice to see so much activity.

Sounds great Pam, lots of activity!

Spent a bit of time in the garden yesterday trying to photograph one of the dunnocks, they've been really conspicuous recently. Also this afternoon noticed a couple of clipped wingtips, from a young Starling I think, so the Sparrowhawk is still making kills here. I do still see the birds go absolutely mental from time to time so was pretty sure it was still around but haven't seen it for ages.

Attachments

• dunnock-1.jpg
    dunnock-1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 34
  • dunnock-2.jpg
    dunnock-2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 33
  • dunnock-3.jpg
    dunnock-3.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 41
Our Downies often get pushed out by Red-bellied Woodpeckers. The female Red-bellied on the attached photo was desperate to get at our feeders today but every time she came, her partner flew in and made her leave. Not sure why,as he didn't use the feeder. Perhaps he thought it wasn't safe for her!

Our regular House Finches have been joined by some new ones. The attached male looks very scruffy but will no doubt look splendid soon.

Flyovers today included a Black Vulture, a Turkey Vulture and a Cooper's Hawk.

Jeff

Jeff you have shamed me with your rather yummy looking fat feeder, I will have to stop being a skinflint and provide a berry type one :eat:

Lovely photos

Pam gald you have had a busy weekend

Fozzy nice pics too.

I came from work today to find a huge "bird flys into the backdoor window" type mark. I can clearly make out some feather detail also the wings and the legs, i`d guess a feral pigeon size. No signs of Sparrowhawk skull-duggery, although whatever it was must have scared the bird.

Greater Spotted woodpecker on the feeder this evening.

Jackdaws directly above the garden tonight on their way to roost 1000+

Dave

Collared Dove Dave? I get prints from the ones in my garden, even though I've put the bird stickers on all the panes they still sometimes fly into the windows when the Sparrowhawk spooks them and they make quite a clear outline from the downy dust they have.

You're right, Jeff's berry fat block does look really good... I wouldn't mind a nibble of it. ;)

Crow battles

The red-bellied woodpeckers head looks almost too vivid! Bit like the bluejays, they don't look natural....

Lots of squirrel action today, but also the American Crows have started raiding the pinecones. One lands and picks a cone, then the others try and steal it off him - never mind that the tree is loaded and theres plenty to go round!

Attachments

• American crow.jpg
    American crow.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 38
The window nest boxes do work. They have a half silvered glass on the window side, so that the birds are only getting a mirror view of themselves unless your room is bright. Even so, it is better to have the shade drawn at all times, unless specifically observing the nest. The suction cup needs heavy grease to stay reliably attached for a summer, imo.

Had a surprising visitor to my bird seed tray the other night...........

Have called him Cyril ;)

cracking visitor! i watch them in the wild, must be great to see one in the garden.

Still having work done in my garden so not much been around, but did have 2 very nice pied wagtails on the roof investigating, flitting up and around in circles, managed to see a sparrowhawk, and a superb buzzard, was just standing at my frontdoor, heard a buzzard shout and as i looked up, straight over my house was a buzzard with its wings arched to an "m" shape flying so fast and for a good 300 yards descending until i lost it behind a tree, truly awesome.

My robin has been around allday, singing to the workmen, and as evening dropped my feeders filled up for a few minutes with great blue and willow tits. So not bad considering the disturbance.

The window nest boxes do work. They have a half silvered glass on the window side, so that the birds are only getting a mirror view of themselves unless your room is bright. Even so, it is better to have the shade drawn at all times, unless specifically observing the nest. The suction cup needs heavy grease to stay reliably attached for a summer, imo.

Cheers for the factual update :t:
Better to have a report of one in action

Some more good photos everyone, I like the Dunnock Fozzy.

I am really fond of badgers too so I'm a little jealous of Sharon.

Been away since Friday, stayed in Northampton for the weekend. Did see a couple of Red Kite on the way home.

Had a Chiffchaff in the garden on Thursday. Weather was a little dull for my camera but have attached the best shot. Also one of the regular Tree Sparrows.

Lewis

Attachments

• web-220-chiff.jpg
    web-220-chiff.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 36
  • web-221-tsp.jpg
    web-221-tsp.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 51

I am really fond of badgers too so I'm a little jealous of Sharon.

Been away since Friday, stayed in Northampton for the weekend. Did see a couple of Red Kite on the way home.

Had a Chiffchaff in the garden on Thursday. Weather was a little dull for my camera but have attached the best shot. Also one of the regular Tree Sparrows.

Lewis

Jabber is that red milatt seed in the feeder? if so what does it attract apart from the tree sparrows;)
I tried that last year without much success but may give it another go
dave

Jabber is that red milatt seed in the feeder? if so what does it attract apart from the tree sparrows;)
I tried that last year without much success but may give it another go
dave

Yes it is Dave. To be honest it doesn't attract much other than the Sparrows. If the sunflower seed runs out then sometimes a Greenfinch or Chaffinch will have some. Have also seen a Robin and a Dunnock on it. Don't think I'd bother with it without the Tree Sparrows though, a sack would last for ages.

Lewis

Thanks, id be really tempted as i can imagine it been really fascinating to watch, just i think some sort of safety device should be fitted in case the suction caps failed as that would be gutting for it to fall:-C

Had a surprising visitor to my bird seed tray the other night...........

Have called him Cyril ;)

:eek!: That is sooo cool! You are very lucky indeed!

thanks Jabber. I cleaned out the feeders this morning (in the rain... nice!) and the birds were hopping all around the garden "where is it? where's the food!?" but later on when I went out to put some seed in the ground tray the dunnock was hopping around in the japonica (where I took those photos) and after I put out some seed and backed off a few steps he/she came out and fed while I was there. :t:

Am knocking up some lardy seed blocks now it's getting a bit colder, I've put in a load of regular seed mix, robin mix, dried mealworms, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sunflower hearts and a few suet pellets. They're solidifying in the fridge at the moment. Yum yum! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back