• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late May birding spots? (1 Viewer)

Astrokev

I'm visiting Orlando for a short family holiday in the last week of May. As time will be limited, most of our holiday will be spent visiting sites as a family, but I will probably get one or two mornings on my own to do some birding.

I've been to Florida a few times, the last being in August 2008, but have never visited in May before. I'm hoping therefore to catch some new species.

With probably only a few trips out, I'd be grateful if anyone could give me some suggestions of places close to Orlando that would give me the highest bird count, whilst maximising my chances of new species that I would have missed during my August visit. If you had to suggest only 2 hot-spots to visit at this time of year, which would they be? I'm especially interested in photography, so sites offering good photo opportunities are especially welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kevin

Last edited:
Take a run down CR-523, which is easily reached from Orlando/Kissimmee - there's a map and some highlights here - http://www.birdwatchingdaily.com/hotspots/150-canoe-creek-road-osceola-county-florida/ - although you can obviously google it for more details. There are several sites along the same road, with nice habitat diversity - in particular, the boat-ramp at Lake Jackson (within 3 lakes WMA) held up to seven Snail Kites at a time last year. On your way down to Canoe Creek, stop off at Kissimmee Lakefront Park on Lake Tohopekaliga - http://www.lakefrontpark.org/lakefront/ - for a close look at almost-tame Limpkin and guaranteed Osprey - often several at a time; Bald Eagle regular just offshore and on the TV tower. Brinson Park a few hundred yards east is worth a 15-minute stop, since it's on the way and is slightly less urban.

For your second day, head for the Atlantic coast and Merritt Island - takes a little over an hour, depending on your start-point. There is a wealth of information available, such as - http://www.fws.gov/merrittisland/

Generally, though, species diversity is lower in summer than other times of year, and there might not be a huge difference between the end of May and your previous visit in August.

Kevin,

For $20, get to Gatorland South OBT around 7.30am on Thurs, Fri, Sat or Sun and you get admission for bird and gator photography. Absolutely stunning. Hundreds of birds with chicks.
Im there early May and will spend probably 6 or 7 mornings there (for about 2 hours, but you can stay longer if you wish). You go to entrance to far right of main entrance (huge gator)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99981358@N05

A few examples from my flickr page.
Trust me, you only need a few hours. It is stunning with all the new chicks, and gators also breeding, which is really scary.

Trevor

Forgot to say, only about 15 mins from Kissimmee or 20 mins from International Drive area.
Cant think of a better way to spend $20

Also worth a look at Jos's trip report on here if you haven't already seen it - I'm in exactly the same situation in late April - having been once before and probably getting permission for a couple of half days birding. I can second the Gatorland suggestion and my plan is to hit some of the wetlands in the early mornings and then spend some time on Merritt Island. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back