• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visitor looking for suggestions (1 Viewer)

JGobeil

Nature Photographer
Hi,

I'm a long time member of Birdforum, mainly in the digiscopy /astro scopes section.

I will be visiting Florida April 1-10 and would highly appreciate suggestions for good bird photography spots. I will be based in Boynton Beach but I will have a car available, so I can travel as needed - but I would rather be birding than driving of course...

So far, I have been suggested these places:
  • Wakodahatchee Wetlands
  • Okeeheelee Nature Center
  • Joe Overstreet Road and Lake Kissimmee
  • Florida Keys Wild Bird Center
  • GatorLand
Your comments on these considering the time of year as well as suggestions for other places would be welcomed.

Best regards
Jules

The Anhinga trail at the Royal Palms Visitor Center in the Everglades ought to be on that list if you get that far south. Also, Merrit Island NWR, if you get that far north.

Steve

The Anhinga trail at the Royal Palms Visitor Center in the Everglades ought to be on that list if you get that far south. Also, Merrit Island NWR, if you get that far north.

Steve

Hello Steve,

It may be worth while to plan an overnight trip to the Keys and Anhinga Trail could be included. Merrit Island NWR is a 6 hr drive return but a visit to their Web site tells me I want to go there.

Thanks for your help
Jules

Since you're already in Boynton, along with Wakodahatchee, don't forget Green Cay Wetlands which is less than a mile from Wakodahatchee and very much worth a visit. Also, a little farther west of those two parks is Arthur Marshall Wildlife Refuge in west Boynton, which is also worth a look in April. And another two not too far away and maybe worth a visit would be Peaceful Waters in Wellington and Wellington Wetlands (full name: Wellington Environmental Preserve at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Everglades Habitat) in western Wellington.

Since you're already in Boynton, along with Wakodahatchee, don't forget Green Cay Wetlands which is less than a mile from Wakodahatchee and very much worth a visit. Also, a little farther west of those two parks is Arthur Marshall Wildlife Refuge in west Boynton, which is also worth a look in April. And another two not too far away and maybe worth a visit would be Peaceful Waters in Wellington and Wellington Wetlands (full name: Wellington Environmental Preserve at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas Everglades Habitat) in western Wellington.

Thanks Justin. I won't miss to visit those sites since they are close to where I will be staying. Nice photos in your Gallery !

Regards
Jules

Jules,

If you are visiting Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands, I would suggest not visiting Gatorland -- it would bring more of the same but at a considerably further distance.

I would suggest adding some coastal sites for shorebirds (Crandon Park Beach in Miami, Tigertail Beach on Marco Island, Bunche Beach in Ft Myers) and tropical hardwood hammock sites for migrants and Caribbean specialties (Bill Baggs in Miami, Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West).

South Florida is much more than just freshwater wetland birding in spring -- Caribbean specialties like White-crowned Pigeon, Gray Kingbird, Mangrove Cuckoo...a menagerie of exotics such as Spot-breasted Oriole, Red-whiskered Bulbul, Nanday Parakeet...and passage of neotropical passerines such as Cape May Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Prairie Warbler...

Carlos

Hello.
I would do everything I could to be at Gatorland on April 4th.
Be there at 7:15am. Park at the southern most spot in parking lot. There is a side entrance.
This place rocks. Bring an extra shirt.

When wife and I stay in Orlando, the day goes like this-
Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands at Viera (Viera Wetlands) sunrise-10:30am
Merrritt Island midday
Orlando Wetlands afternoon-sunset (this is off Rt 50, town is Christmas)

Gatorland- all day.

Joe Overstreet Road and Lake Kissimmee-maybe with a pair of bins, but with camera I thought those places sucked.
I got the same opinion about Corkscrew.

When we get down their, got no time to waste looking for birds to shoot.
I need a sure thing.

We'll catch up.
Clark

Jules,

If you are visiting Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands, I would suggest not visiting Gatorland -- it would bring more of the same but at a considerably further distance.

I would suggest adding some coastal sites for shorebirds (Crandon Park Beach in Miami, Tigertail Beach on Marco Island, Bunche Beach in Ft Myers) and tropical hardwood hammock sites for migrants and Caribbean specialties (Bill Baggs in Miami, Fort Zachary Taylor in Key West).

South Florida is much more than just freshwater wetland birding in spring -- Caribbean specialties like White-crowned Pigeon, Gray Kingbird, Mangrove Cuckoo...a menagerie of exotics such as Spot-breasted Oriole, Red-whiskered Bulbul, Nanday Parakeet...and passage of neotropical passerines such as Cape May Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Prairie Warbler...

Carlos

Hey, thanks for the tips. Green Cay and Wakodahatchee Wetlands are less than 10 miles from where I will be staying so I'll most likely visit quite often, mainly in late afternoon when returning home early, and after dinner.

Your suggestions for coastal sites are most welcomed and I will definitely spend time on the Coast.

Water birds are my favorites. I just finished posting photos of Quebec shorebirds on my site. See Shorebirds 1 and 2 here:
http://julesgobeil.com/photo/oiseaux/?lang=en

Regards
Jules

Hello.
I would do everything I could to be at Gatorland on April 4th.
Be there at 7:15am. Park at the southern most spot in parking lot. There is a side entrance.
This place rocks. Bring an extra shirt.

When wife and I stay in Orlando, the day goes like this-
Ritch Grissom Memorial Wetlands at Viera (Viera Wetlands) sunrise-10:30am
Merrritt Island midday
Orlando Wetlands afternoon-sunset (this is off Rt 50, town is Christmas)

Gatorland- all day.

Joe Overstreet Road and Lake Kissimmee-maybe with a pair of bins, but with camera I thought those places sucked.
I got the same opinion about Corkscrew.

When we get down their, got no time to waste looking for birds to shoot.
I need a sure thing.

We'll catch up.
Clark

Thanks for the tips Clark. What's special at GatorLand on April 4th ?

Fri. and Sat. are photo days.
For $10 extra, one gets in 60 or 90 minutes before the rest of the public.
The morning light is the best.
To be honest, my wife and I never notice the general public. The boardwalk is all photogs.
So, April 4th is the only Friday on your trip.

In the beginning of your post, you say "good bird photography spots". Gatorland is that.
In the end of your post, you say " I would rather be birding than driving". Viera Wetlands would fill both hobbies.

Got three species in one frame here. This is Gatorland, late afternoon.
On the short side of pond it will be backlit. Looks like imageshack corrupted the second pic.
But you get the idea...

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25909

Hello Carlos!

Yes, a handful of times. For camera, my wife and I favor Wakodahatchee. This place was was loads of fun last month. Found afternoon to have the favorable light.
Busy place, but the boardwalk is solid. No worries about vibrations.
Green Cay- didn't get to see the bobcats. But this spot could be a blast with a pair of bins.
Being so close together, ya gotta hit both.

I didn't mention Shark Valley. Killer spot for Black-crowned Night Heron.
It has the other stuff too. Sunrise to about 10:00am.
Park on Rt. 41 and walk in till you get to the parking lot.
Tried Loop Rd. as it is right there. Got a bad vibe there. Dusty, and some other things...

Hi Carlos and Clark,

Thanks a lot for the info. I did quite a bit of research and here is how I see it:

At least 3 full days plus short trips near where I will stay:
- Wakodahatchee Wetlands
- Green Cay Nature Center and Wetlands
- Okeeheelee Park
- Wellington Environment Preserve
- Wellington Peaceful Waters Sanctuary
- Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge

1 or 2 days: Key Biscane area - for shore birds
- Crandon Park
- Bill Baggs Cape Florida SP

1 day: different environment - mammals
- Kissimmee Prairie Reserve SP
- Joe Overstreet Road and landing area

1 or 2 days with overnight stay
- Everglades SP
- Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center

Maybe an extra day in the Keys
- Bahia Honda SP
- National Key Deer Refuge
- Fort Zachary Taylor Historic SP

GatorLand ??? Not sure, 350 miles return, 27$, opens late in the morning, not that many bird species (eBird: 96, 58 in April)

Maybe the West Coast ??? Probably not.

Comments ?

$27 is a bargain. When I get to Canada, remind me to be cheap.
7:30 am is not late.
Gatorland is for photography. I would not go birding there. But your signature line says photographer, so I thought this wear would out your shutter.
No doubt, long drive. The folks I shot next to had driven just as far. So I thought I mention.

Just like you, it takes much resources to get to Florida.
We did 1300 miles on the rental car in eight days.

Hey, maybe we'll see you down there next year.

For taking photographs of herons/egrets/breeding waders, Wakodahatchee Wetlands is currently in its prime. I took a client there on Friday and had the following:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck: 38
Mottled Duck
Wood Stork (breeding)
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant (breeding)
Anhinga (breeding)
American Bittern
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron (breeding)
Great Egret (breeding)
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron (breeding)
Cattle Egret (breeding)
Green Heron (breeding)
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis (breeding)
Osprey
Purple Gallinule
Black-necked Stilt
...and others.

Loxahatchee isn't so great for photography. Joe Overstreet should be good. I like the west coast of Florida better for shorebirds (Snowy Plover, Marbled Godwit, etc) although Crandon Park Beach has very tame birds to photograph (including Piping Plover and Wilson's Plover among the flock of peeps at the south end). Just a bit less variety.

Big Cypress National Preserve or Corkscrew are very photogenic habitats.

I got this shot of an American Bittern just this Friday at Wakodahatchee, the Piping Plover at Crandon Park Beach, and the White-winged Parakeets at a stake-out in Miami.

Carlos

Attachments

• American Bittern Mar 28.jpg
    American Bittern Mar 28.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Piping Plover 2014 Mar 3.jpg
    Piping Plover 2014 Mar 3.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 86
  • White-winged Parakeet 2014 Mar 8B.jpg
    White-winged Parakeet 2014 Mar 8B.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 86
For taking photographs of herons/egrets/breeding waders, Wakodahatchee Wetlands is currently in its prime. I took a client there on Friday and had the following:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck: 38
Mottled Duck
Wood Stork (breeding)
Neotropic Cormorant
Double-crested Cormorant (breeding)
Anhinga (breeding)
American Bittern
Least Bittern
Great Blue Heron (breeding)
Great Egret (breeding)
Snowy Egret
Little Blue Heron
Tricolored Heron (breeding)
Cattle Egret (breeding)
Green Heron (breeding)
White Ibis
Glossy Ibis (breeding)
Osprey
Purple Gallinule
Black-necked Stilt
...and others.

Loxahatchee isn't so great for photography. Joe Overstreet should be good. I like the west coast of Florida better for shorebirds (Snowy Plover, Marbled Godwit, etc) although Crandon Park Beach has very tame birds to photograph (including Piping Plover and Wilson's Plover among the flock of peeps at the south end). Just a bit less variety.

Big Cypress National Preserve or Corkscrew are very photogenic habitats.

I got this shot of an American Bittern just this Friday at Wakodahatchee, the Piping Plover at Crandon Park Beach, and the White-winged Parakeets at a stake-out in Miami.

Carlos

Wow ! 13 of the 20 birds in the list are not present in Quebec ! And Wakodahatchee is 5 miles from where I will be staying... Can't ask for more.

Nice photos.

Thanks for your help
Jules

Was at both Wakodahatchee and Green Cay this weekend, and it's still very active. As Carlos mentioned at Wako, all of those he mentioned should actually be fairly easy to see - maybe not guaranteed, but close. At Green Cay, along with the above, you can add very reliable sightings of sora, along with good chances for limpkin, painted bunting, purple swamphen, least sandpiper, lesser yellowlegs, red-shouldered hawk, yellow-crowned and black crowned night heron. Warblers were still around as of Saturday, with pine, prairie, yellow-rumped, and palm warblers all spotted. There's been a somewhat reliable ruby-throated hummingbird at the feeder along the entrance.

Been following this thread, since I'm coming to Florida the end of April, to spend two weeks there. Thanks for all the info. It's given me some good target areas and species! I' m taking two lenses with me: 400L 5.6 and 70-300L. Which one would be better suited for a walk e.g. I Wakodahatchee and Green Cay?
Peter

Was at both Wakodahatchee and Green Cay this weekend, and it's still very active. As Carlos mentioned at Wako, all of those he mentioned should actually be fairly easy to see - maybe not guaranteed, but close. At Green Cay, along with the above, you can add very reliable sightings of sora, along with good chances for limpkin, painted bunting, purple swamphen, least sandpiper, lesser yellowlegs, red-shouldered hawk, yellow-crowned and black crowned night heron. Warblers were still around as of Saturday, with pine, prairie, yellow-rumped, and palm warblers all spotted. There's been a somewhat reliable ruby-throated hummingbird at the feeder along the entrance.

Great. Your list contains 8 species not present in Quebec.

I'm leaving tonight.
Tuesday - if I have time: quick trip at Wakodahatchee
Wednesday: Green Cay
Thursday: Wakodahatchee

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated
Jules

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back