• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo "birdwatching" heads : a good choice or not ? (1 Viewer)

Claude_

Hello !

I'm looking for a tripod and a head : I'll use them with a Swarovski ATX 92, for birding, and later for digiscoping.

I like especially the single control for vertical and horizontal lock
I was convinced by the Gitzo "birdwatching" heads, but since I read some threads I have "questionings" :
Some heads gitzo have problem in vertical movements after a few years, and I read that they have been discontinued ... ??

Can you confirm that these heads are the only which has the single control for vertical and horizontal lock ?
Are problems in vertical movements frequent ? is there a weakness in this sense

Could the GITZO GHF2W be another solution, a good compromise ?
the hand can controle the vertical and horizontal lock without mooving

about the tripod : I'm looking for a good one, stable, and that I can block and unblock quicly. I think about the MANFROTTO MT055CXPRO3
Is it a good choice ?

Thanx

It's done, I receive the pieces.
They replace material that I have for at least 20 years.
Now it is very comfortable, the head is really soft, the tripod opens "finally" easily and quickly, and it's only happiness.
It's gone for a while....

No, it's not like your Velbon. There is a large circular knob / wheel that locks the whole thing in place. The handle just stays in situ.

P

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question, but what are the key differences between the GHF2W and the GH1720QR? On paper, the GH1720QR seems better to me (has a set screw, is a touch lighter). Thanks.

Apologies for what is probably a dumb question, but what are the key differences between the GHF2W and the GH1720QR? On paper, the GH1720QR seems better to me (has a set screw, is a touch lighter). Thanks.

Hello
at the link I quote in the post #6 you can find an extensive discussion about that topic. In my experience (having both heads) the newer GHF2W lacks the (unpleasant) tendency to lean backwards and forwards when fully unlocked. I have much felt this shortcoming because I have been using large binoculars with the GH1720QR which otherwise is certainly lighter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back