• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (19 Viewers)

Many thanks folks for the replies and info after checking the 3 out the Yellow shell moth looks like it as a couple of other people on another thread have suggested that and the Brimstone but the shell looks closest thanks again for the info it was a great help.

Think this is the first Water Rail chick seen this year Lee - was that taken on the causeway at the Moors Pool?

Just noticed in the feeding station hide log book at the Flashes that a juv Water Rail was observed at the Hen Pool on the 12th May

Last edited:
Absolutely "over the moon" about my visit today! A big first for me to see, not a Water Rail…….. but a Water Rail and her chick! This little one was not taking instruction too well, but eventually followed mom back into the undergrowth. :t:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/piedflycatcher/

Love these pics, brilliant!
I've been hunting for a water rail chick with no joy so these are the next best thing. :t:
Rich

Chick numbers tonight flashes. Avocet 1. Oystercatcher 3. Lapwing 1,2,2,4. Shoveler 9.
others Redshank. LRP. Shelduck.
sailing pool as I left 2 Oystercatchers on far side

Last edited:
Chick numbers tonight flashes. Avocet 1. Oystercatcher 3. Lapwing 1,2,2,4. Shoveler 9.
others Redshank. LRP. Shelduck.
sailing pool as I left 2 Oystercatchers on far side

There were 6 widely scattered Lapwing chicks in the sewage meadow yesterday morning (3:2:1) plus 4 on the foreshore. Alan H and I counted 12 Shoveler ducklings.

As many of you are aware (or probably suspect) we have Redshank nesting at the Flashes. Unfortunately the spot they have chosen is rather too close to the hide for comfort. As a nervous species prone to disturbance can all visitors be especially quiet in the hide and on the approach to it (volumes of conversation, opening / closing windows, opening / closing the door, mobile phone / camera settings etc) and also refrain from poking hands and/or cameras out of the hide windows. John will have a conversation with the Trust as to whether, for the next few weeks, we close off the ground floor section of the hide.

Redshank is currently on the "Amber" list due to its marked breeding decline - nearly 50% of pairs nesting on saltmarshes were lost in a study undertaken between 1985 and 2011. In Worcestershire the breeding population is very small - the latest WMBC annual report (2013) noted that year that two pairs bred at both John Bennett Reserve and Ripple Pits, together with an unsuccessful attempt at Lower Moor. At Upton Warren we have only have two successful breeding attempts since 1996 so it is vital that we do everything in our power to give this pair the greatest chance to succeed.

Last edited:
Breeding Shoveler

This is now the fourth time (and the third consecutive year) that Shoveler have successfully bred at Upton Warren:

1947 - 8 ducklings hatched (no information as to whereabouts on the reserve or success rate)
2013 - a pair attempted to nest at the Flashes but were unsuccessful
2014 - 10 ducklings emerged on Amy’s Marsh at the Moors Pool on the 12th June, all of which fledged (one duckling survived an assault by a Black-headed Gull on the 5th July) and with a number of birds still lingering into early August.
2015 - a brood of ten emerged on the third Flash from the 25th May. Unfortunately all had disappeared by the 10th June; the attentions of Grey Heron and Buzzard thought to be the responsible parties. A second family was discovered at the Moors Pool on the 25th June; six of the eight young progressed to fledging.
2016 - a brood with 12 ducklings emerged at the Flashes on the 21st May. With birds lingering at both the Moors Pool and Flashes further broods are a possibility.

Shoveler is a very scarce breeder in Worcestershire - away from Upton Warren the only other successful occurrences are two records from Bittell Reservoir in the late Nineteenth Century and a pair which bred at the John Bennett reserve in 2015. The latest Rare Breeding Birds Panel report available online (2012) advises of an estimated 872 breeding pairs in Britain of which only c350 were successful.

Only reporting what I saw. Lapwings chicks on far side was along water edge

HI Tim - no criticism intended; all counts of young are very useful in determining the rate of fledging and the areas with greatest success that can help shape our future habitat management and creation.

Some very exciting news re counts of young birds from JTB later this evening!

Last edited:
Monday 23rd May 0700-1200

A brisk NW wind took the edge off temperatures on a sunny morning and kept the heads of most birds down:

SAILING POOL
2 Mute Swan, 2 Greylag Geese, 2 Coot, 1 GC Grebe, 15 Tufted Duck, Cetti's Warbler, 1 Common Tern, c70 Swift

FLASHES
1 Ringed Plover, 4 LR Plover, 2 Oystercatcher + 3 chicks, 36 Avocet + 1 chick, 2 Redshank, 9+ Lapwing +10 young (4 on foreshore + 6 in sewage meadow 3:2:1), 1 Grey Heron, 4 Canada Geese, 4 Shelduck, 2 Gadwall, 3 Shoveler + 12 duckling, 28 Tufted Duck, 14 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 2 LBB Gull

NORTH MOORS
Garden Warbler, Common Whitethroat, 4 Tufted Duck, 2 Coot, 1 Gadwall, Cetti's Warbler

MOORS POOL
2 Mute Swan, 18 Canada Geese, 6 Gadwall, 2 Shoveler, 60 Tufted Duck (107 across the reserve), 2 Snipe, 2 Lapwing (appear to be sitting in Amy's Marsh), 2 Oystercatcher + 2 young (presumably the Broadmeadow pair - one adult and chick on Broadmeadow, one adult and chick on East Island), 3 Little Grebe, 38 Coot, 4 Moorhen, 5 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 6 Common Tern, Jay, Kestrel, Buzzard, c30 Swift, Cetti's Warbler

Last edited:
Tuesday 24th June

John has only just in so he has asked me to post the highlights of today; he will provide a more comprehensive update later / tomorrow:

MOORS POOL

4 Oystercatcher + 5 young (2:3), 1 Snipe, 2 Lapwing, 9 Common Tern (with 4 sitting), 15 Reed Warblers singing, 3 Sedge Warbler singing, 10 pairs of Reed Bunting

FLASHES
1 Ringed Plover, 2 Redshank, 4 LR Plover, 40 Avocet + 1 young (13 birds sitting), 12 Lapwing + 10 young, 5 Oystercatcher + 3 young, 4 Shelduck, 52 Tufted Duck, 3 Gadwall, 60 Mallard + 6 broods (c60 young), 7 Shoveler (3 pairs & male) + 21 ducklings in one brood - Shoveler clutch size is normally 9 to 11 eggs so presumably this mass of ducklings comprises two clutches despite being minded by only one male and one female, 240 pairs of BHG with approx. 600 young (incl a brood of 4 - very unusual), hybrid second summer Med x BHG

Last edited:
Phil has already mentioned the importance of keeping the noise level down and not protruding any equipment or body parts out of the window. On Friday and again today I watched the female redshank stand motionless for over an hour in front of the hide. At no time attempting to go back to the nest. This species is a very shy breeding species and will not return to its nest for fear of revealing it to predators. Unfortunately the only ideal habitat is in front of the hide so we must help them as much as we can. I have locked the groundfloor of the avocet hide to minimise disturbance. This species has not bred for a few years so this will hopefully be a welcomed return to more prosperous times for them . Please spread the word and assist us look after your reserve.
:t: john

Last edited:
Terrific find and a cheeky lunch time twitch, first I have seen at UW since 2004 ? Thanks to JHWR for directions on arrival should have charged for providing scope views !!

Will post the history of Black-necked Grebe at Upton Warren later but they have gone very scarce in recent times. Has anyone got any photos?

Quite a surprise this afternoon when we found the car park full. Soon explained as a visit from 2 Black-necked Grebes.
Unfortunately for Dave and me they stayed in the middle of the pool - the attached is a heavy crop taken from the Concrete Hide.
Great afternoon with plenty of banter and good to see Vern again.

Dave

Attachments

• Black-necked Grebe-1.jpg
    Black-necked Grebe-1.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back