• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New York, Sleepy Hollow area (1 Viewer)

Strandman

It looks like I have a day in the Sleepy Hollow area on this coming Sunday- does anyone happen to have any birding suggestions in that area at this time of year? I'm keeping any eye on the birdmails in case a Snowy Owl pops up somewhere a little further afield, but otherwise any suggestions for a good wildfowl spot on the Hudson or maybe somewhere out of town with a chance of a Roughleg would be much appreciated.

Boy, did this post bring back memories. The last time I was in Sleepy Hollow, I fell in love with the place. We're talking 20 years ago. I'm sure it has changed considerably but Kingston Point Park used to be a great place for birding. I will be looking forward to any trip reports you might post and pictures too ;)

Hi Ed,

There are loads of good places along the Hudson. Croton-Point-Park is very close to you and usually a great one for eagles, owls, and open country birds as well as waterfowl on the river but probably comes more into its own later in the season as open water diminishes further north. You're still a little on the early side for a lot of stuff but if you have a car it might be worth checking out either Shwangunk Grasslands (last year we had a dozen RL Hawks plus SEO etc etc in February on a trip I lead there). Currently there are 2 Snowy Owls in Connecticut although they may have disappeared today. Norwalk would be just over an hour or so from Sleepy Hollow (plus you might jam in on part of the Cave Swallow movement) and the bird in Stratford would take you another half hour from Norwalk.

If you want more details feel free to drop us a pm.

Luke

Hi Ed,

There are loads of good places along the Hudson. Croton-Point-Park is very close to you and usually a great one for eagles, owls, and open country birds as well as waterfowl on the river but probably comes more into its own later in the season as open water diminishes further north. You're still a little on the early side for a lot of stuff but if you have a car it might be worth checking out either Shwangunk Grasslands (last year we had a dozen RL Hawks plus SEO etc etc in February on a trip I lead there). Currently there are 2 Snowy Owls in Connecticut although they may have disappeared today. Norwalk would be just over an hour or so from Sleepy Hollow (plus you might jam in on part of the Cave Swallow movement) and the bird in Stratford would take you another half hour from Norwalk.

If you want more details feel free to drop us a pm.

Luke

That's spot-on, so many thanks: Birdforum at its best! I'm very tempted to head out to Shawangunk in the hope that some Roughlegs are in, with Croton Point for other things as the fall-back.

Boy, did this post bring back memories. The last time I was in Sleepy Hollow, I fell in love with the place. We're talking 20 years ago. I'm sure it has changed considerably but Kingston Point Park used to be a great place for birding. I will be looking forward to any trip reports you might post and pictures too ;)

Quick update - I ended up in Tarrytown without car, so by train up to the old landfill at Croton Point Park, where Cedar Waxwings streaming through in little groups of 20 or 30, maybe a couple of hundred through whilst was there. Too windy for wildfowl except for Pond Pigs (I think that's what you call Mute Swans out there...) so back down to Tarrytown Reservoir by train and foot, where a very nice selection of Hooded Merganser, Bufflehead etc.

I don't get to bring the easel on business trips, so best I can offer by way of pics is some Cedar Waxwings in Croton maple, executed on return to the Tarrytown hotel in highighter pen plus finger-painted coffee.

Attachments

• cedwax600DSC_0033%20copy.jpg
    cedwax600DSC_0033%20copy.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 110
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back