• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips required: itinerary 4 wk Tanzania (1 Viewer)

Corotauria

Hi you all,

The three of us intending to go to Tanzania within reasonable time, to do some birdwatching and wildlife viewing. I've been to Kenya twice and once to South Africa, as is my birding mate. My girlfriend has only been to South Africa, and she would love to see the wildlife in East Africa (read Serengeti / Masai Mara). I am the only one who really wants to see some of the (birding) specials of Tanzania, so our itinerary is quite a compromise.

We're (well, I am at least) thinking of the following itinerary:
- Starting at Dar-Es-Salam going to and through the Uluguru Mountains around Morogoro (2-3 days)
- From there going through Mikumi NP, stopping briefly at Udzungwa Mountains (Sanje Falls) to Ifakara (2 days) - Kilombero Valley;
- From Ifakara passing Iringa to Ruaha and spent 2-3 days there in the NP;
- Straight up north in 1 day, hoping to get to Tarangire NP the following day;
- Heading with a day stop in Lake Manyara NP to Ngorongoro and Serengeti to spent 5-7 days there.
- From Serengeti to Lake Natron and next day to Arusha (with a visit to the plains north of Arusha for finding us some good larks);
- View days in and around Arusha NP and on route to Lushoto visiting Nyumba ya Mungu Reservoir;
- a max of 3 day covering West and East Usambara's to get at least most of the specials to finish up
- with max 4 days in Pemba, to bird and snorkling.

I am also thinking of an itinerary covering only the north, including a few more areas (Lake Eaysi or hiking up a bit of the Kilimanjaro) and to stay longer in a few places (mainly to photograph). I am not sure what to do, cause I'd really like to go to the south (Ruaha / Uluguru etc) to catch up with some good birds and avoid the crowd in the north.

Any tips on above itinerary? Places to include or exclude? Good trip reports (other then Serengeti or Ngorongoro they are scarce)? When is the best time to visit? For viewing wildlife I know August-September is the best period, but how about birdlife? The best in February-March? And how is wildlife viewing at that moment?
How about visiting East Usambara's and Uluguru Mountains? Good guides? Permits?

Does anyone know about the ferry between Tanga and Pemba, cause I've read some trip reports mentioning some troubles and the ferry only goes from Dar to Pemba?

Thanks in advance for all tips.

Kind regards.
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back