• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viewfinder vs Live View (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
I have a slight difference in focus accuracy using both methods

I check the viewfinder and focus confirm green dot, and then try focusing using live view and find that i have to re-focus

Taking the 2 shots of the same subject using both viewfinder and then live view reveals that Live View gives the more accurate photo

It seems to me then, that the viewfinder with green dot focus confirm is slightly out.

Can i do anything about this ? Live View is too slow and clunky compared to focusing through the viewfinder

There's no autofocus with a Refractor scope

Both Live View and Viewfinder focus require manually focusing

I was just saying that the Green Dot focus confirm in Viewfinder manually focusing, is not in the same position when switching to Live View and zoomed in to see whether Viewfinder focusing got it right, and it appears to be off slightly, with Live View needing a refocus to aquire Green Dot focus confirm

No it doesn't Paul, but you dont get a magnified view in Viewfinder focusing , but without changing anything, i switch to Live View and Green Dot is off, and so i then zoom in Live View and need to slightly refocus to achieve the Green Dot

I see, so you get a green dot in the viewfinder and on the live view screen? I just use the viewfinder on my Nikon D3300 and there's no focus confirm. It has live view but I've never been a fan of it.

Paul.

Yup Paul, thats correct.

Its just that when going to live view, which i dislike, its more accurate

I find that bit strange, unless my focusing in using the viewfinder is off, which could well be the case !

Found a thread here where someone is testing and trying to come to a conclusion for the same problem with his D800. He said in live view it uses a phase detect method while in manual focus through the viewfinder it uses a contrast detect method. Further down the page though someone says it is the other way around. In one of the replies the guy says he focuses in the viewfinder until the green dot is solid and then winds back until it starts to blink and that gives him sharp results. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3592432

Paul.

Thats was a good read and there were good pointers to try

EG..

Set camera to Live View and zoomed right in, manual focus till green dot is solid, then exit Live View and check through Viewfinder as to where the Green Dot is now.

I found, like one of the posters, that after switching form Live View to VF, that the Green Dot was missing, and had one arrow telling me that i was focused too far to the left, ( we're talking about half mm turn on the focus wheel ) so i refocused in VF till i got the Green Dot central.

Again, 2 exact same photos revealed that Live View / zoomed in and focused was more accurate than the VF.

So in future when i use the VF manual focus, if i keep the left arrow in view just before the Green Dot appears, then focusing would be as accurate as Live View

I hope that all made sense |8.|

I have the diopter adjusted to its sharpest, according to my eyes. But they could be the problem

Never thought of the diopter being the problem though, so will have another look at that

Last edited:
IMO, the reason is very simple: the viewfinder has a diopter adjustment and the LCD does not...

If you are purely relying on the focus confirm light then the diopter adjustment isn't really going to alter the problems discussed in this thread. The focus confirm light in the viewfinder isn't as accurate as the focus confirm light in live view as the camera uses different methods to determine focus depending on what mode you are in.

Paul.

Yup thats me - i dont rely on my eyes only. In manual focus using the VF, i use the green dot.

AP priority

In Live View i use 100% zoom

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back