• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zanzibar birding (1 Viewer)

r2didi2

photo fisher
Hi

We are lucky enough to be going to Zanzibar in September and wondered if anyone can recommend any birding trips/guides or similar for a day or half-day outing in that area?

Has anyone been/live there - got any useful resources from web links to books?

Thanks
Didi

I have visited Zanzibar four times, most recent in 2004. By this time the Island was quite politically unstable and some areas was not safe visiting, the northern half for exampel.

Areas worth visiting for birding on Zanzibar is very limited, common species such Indian pheasants, house crows, house sparrows and different kinds of egrets can be seen all over the Island.

I have found the forests 4-5km north of Stone Town quite good birding spots, with African paradise-flycatchers, Zanzibar bishops and several species of sunbird.

Jozani Forest Reserve (Southern Zanzibar) is probably the best birding area on Zanzibar, virtually all native forest that now remains on Zanzibar are found in and around this reserve.

Species such as Fishers Turaco (a near endemic) and Brown-headed Parrot are found here, 195 of Zanzibars 220 recorded species have been seen in this forest. Mammals such as blue duiker, Aders duiker, brush-tailed mongoose and Red colobus are all common here.

During my visited I have paid ocal people to guide me in the forest, there is plenty of them happy to assist you and they have great knowledge about the forest.

I would say that Jozani is the only spot on Zanzibar were you get an idea about how most of the Island used to look like once. With out no doubt the best birding spot on Zanzibar.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back