• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wise to be alert!! (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Just been trying to digiscope a pair of Collared Doves out of the back bedroom window, not an easy task as it's quite dark and overcast today!! However, after a few moments watching the doves preening they suddenly scarpered, scanning over the back fence posts it was clear to see why!!!

One of those rare moments when camera and scope were set up at exactly the right time and place, after three quick bursts from the shutter he was gone!!

It pays to stay alert in the animal kingdom!!!

Matt

Attachments

• sprawk 013 (Custom).jpg
    sprawk 013 (Custom).jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 32
  • sprawk 024 (Custom).jpg
    sprawk 024 (Custom).jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 27
  • sprawk 026 (Custom).jpg
    sprawk 026 (Custom).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 27
Well done! It's a good thing that we get lucky once in a while. Yesterday I didn't get lucky. I saw all of the birds bail out from the feeders and was just able to see a fairly large raptor sail over. It had long, pointed wings and a longish tail. The entire bird seemed white although I only saw the underside. I grabbed my camera and headed outside but all I got was a second glimpse through the trees as the bird flew off. The only thing that I know that matches the description is a white Gyrfalcon. One did show up here in my garden some years ago.

Well caught Matt and good pics considering the gloomy conditions.. They're very good at making a quick visit when you're least expecting them. Probably had his eye on one of the Doves?

Shame you missed out on the Gyrfalcon Dan.

Last edited:
Well done Matt for the quite reaction. It is true what you say that it more than luck that gives you a good picture of the birds you least expect. A picture of a BoP is such a treat to have anyday.

At least the doves had the sense to scarper when they did. I think seeing how quickly birds are caught, and defeathered for the BoP's lunch is something else.

Hope that you get a chance to see your Gyrfalcon once more in the future, Dan.

Last edited:
Well done, Matt! Super pics! Right place at the right time, not often that happens is it!:t:
I am rather pleased the C.Doves escaped with their lives though!o:D

Would love a gyrfalcon to pass by but yesterdays b.o.ps didn't seem to scare anything. While filling up my feeders two red kites had a scout of the gardens and came down to roof level before heading off again after a couple of minutes. Had a sparrowhawk close by this morning and saw a heron fly over.
Shows you don't have to go far for some good birding.

Chris.

Super pics Matt!! It is weird to think that you can go from a nice peaceful scene in your garden to one that could have turned out a lot more horrific if the Sparrowhawk had've got its Sunday Lunch!!

They pop up when you least expect them! I've had that happen a couple of times, then they just sit and look around, wondering where breakfast/lunch/dinner has gone!

Nice pics, Matt.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back