Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

A Lifer,2 Year Ticks and 2 B.F.Ticks in the N.East

Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 20:53   #1
Geoff Pain
Rural Member

A Lifer,2 Year Ticks and 2 B.F.Ticks in the N.East

Had a trip up to St.Mary's Island,Northumberland today.Arrived about 10am,parked in the pay and display and had a walk down to the sea front.Plenty of Terns about mainly Common and Sandwich but there amongst them yes a lifer Roseate Tern.No sign af the Black Terns but a few Arctic Terns about.Plenty of Golden Plover about with Knot,Dunlin,Sanderling,Turnstone and Ringed Plover foraging amongst the rocks.
Had a walk out across the causway to the island to try a bit of sea watching but very quiet so had a walk back to view the Roseate's again.It was at this point we were approached by another birder asking if the Black Terns were about,who turned out to be Cuddy(BF tick No.1 for the day).
Our next target was the R.B.Shrike at Newbiggin.If it hadn't been for Cuddy giving us directions of how to get there I don't think we'd have found it,so a big thankyou Cuddy .Bird was where he said,we even managed to walk right past it without noticing,and was giving good views.Managed to get some half decent pictures of it before leaving for the next target bird.
Down to Marsden Old Quarry next for the Wryneck and the recently reported Barred Warbler.No sign of the Barred Warbler,but did pick up BF tick No.2 for the day in the shape of IanF who told us where to look for the Wryneck before leaving for the Roseates I think.This too was giving good views and again managed to get some decent shots.
The weather was great,the birders we met were friendly and helpful.It was nice to be able to put faces to 2 more BF members.will definitely visit there again and I hope you managed to get a Wryneck the right side of the Tyne Cuddy.All in all a great day out.

Geoff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rbs1.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	12361  Click image for larger version

Name:	wry3.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	12362  
Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 21:11   #2
cuddy
Brian Robson

Location: On a hill overlooking the little village of Newcastle
Hi Geoff, nice to meet you and so glad you had a nice day, Black Terns showed briefly later on i also managed a few pics of RB Shrike then on to Creswell pond and i saw 2 Wood Sands, Male Merlin, Little Stint, then back to ST Marys to add Med Gull.

But the highlight was yet to come i received a text at 1400 to let me know that a Wryneck had been found at East Chevington so off i raced and at last ending 15 years of hurt and pain i saw my first Wryneck, and it was well worth the wait .

Relaxing now with a G & T cant get the grin off my face.

Chilled out Cuddy : )
Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 21:16   #3
erizzo

Very nice. Sounds like quite the day. Great birds.
Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 21:30   #4
Andrew
wibble wibble

A good result!

I too had a lifer today, three Black Terns and met devon.birder but he wasn't a lifer. He actually spotted the first Black Tern of the high tide roost at Northam Burrows!
Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 21:36   #5
IanF

Great shots Geoff,

Nice to meet you too

After leaving you I headed up to Newbigign again. The RBS was about but wasn't so compliant with me today. I spent too long on the bushes further along with the Stonechats and Wheatear and then got waylaid talking with several other birders. By the time I reached St.Mary's Island the tide was in and the birders not to mention Terns, gone. Maybe next week again.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit to the area. The Northeast has a lot to offer. Northumbria is an exceptional birding area, though further south around Teesmouth is pretty good - usually more species too!

Congrats on the Wryneck Cuddy

Maybe next week I will make East Chevington and Creswell too - depending on what is around!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 21:56   #6
Quacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddy

Relaxing now with a G & T cant get the gin off my face.
Aww man you've spilled it again!!

Nice one Cuddy, thought I was the only one collecting life ticks - brought you luck I did, I'm claiming an assist.

So when's the next one Michael
Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 22:22   #7
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddy
Hi Geoff, nice to meet you and so glad you had a nice day, Black Terns showed briefly later on i also managed a few pics of RB Shrike then on to Creswell pond and i saw 2 Wood Sands, Male Merlin, Little Stint, then back to ST Marys to add Med Gull.

But the highlight was yet to come i received a text at 1400 to let me know that a Wryneck had been found at East Chevington so off i raced and at last ending 15 years of hurt and pain i saw my first Wryneck, and it was well worth the wait .

Relaxing now with a G & T cant get the grin off my face.

Chilled out Cuddy : )

I'm pleased you got it. Good bird. It was still there this evening.
Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 22:40   #8
IanF

Hi Alan,

On behalf of Admin and the Mods and a fellow not so 'north' easterner Welcome to Bird Forum

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 15th August 2004, 22:47   #9
scampo
Steve Campsall

Two birds I've wanted to see in the UK since I was a youngster. Lucky you. A marvellous day indeed - and good shots to remember it by.
Old Monday 16th August 2004, 09:32   #10
digi-birder

Sounds like a good day, Geoff, and great photos, too. I've never seen either of these birds.

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. Erma Bombeck
Old Thursday 19th August 2004, 13:20   #11
Benjismum

Please could someone explain (I am obviously an ignoramus) - what is a lifer, 2 year ticks and BF ticks?

I assume a lifer is possibly the first ever sighting of a particular bird in your life?

thanks

Benjismum
Old Thursday 19th August 2004, 13:36   #12
pduxon
Quacked up Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjismum
Please could someone explain (I am obviously an ignoramus) - what is a lifer, 2 year ticks and BF ticks?

I assume a lifer is possibly the first ever sighting of a particular bird in your life?

thanks

Benjismum
hi Benjismum

a lifer is the first time you've ever seen that bird.
a year tick is the first time you've seen the bird this year
a BF tick is the first time you've seen a particular member of Bird Forum. You should get some of these at Birdfair

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 19th August 2004, 13:58   #13
Benjismum

Thanks Pete, now I know.

Benjismum
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: