Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best bird guides by region...Australasia?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 1st November 2016, 11:54   #26
andyadcock

I wonder if the price of 'Coates and Bishop' will drop drastically after the publication of this? It's been hugely overpriced for years, there are two crappy ones on ebay right now at 80 and 100 respectively.

I'm quite pleased with myself having just picked up 'Birds of New Guinea and the Bismarck Archipelago' for 20 incl postage, a third of the usual, cheapest asking price.

A
Old Saturday 4th February 2017, 11:11   #27
RobHynson

Latest release date for the CSIRO guide is early May 2017.

I've spoke with one of the authors last year and have seen several plates and its looking very good. There will even be illustrations and text concerning a soon to be described species.

Will post more once I get my copy.

Cheers.

Rob
Old Saturday 4th February 2017, 11:54   #28
John Cantelo

Sample plates - which indeed look excellent - cab be seen here: https://www.andrewisles.com/all-stoc...ian-bird-guide

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Wednesday 1st March 2017, 18:14   #29
Jim Martin
Friend of the auk

Advance copies of this have arrived.

Amazing.
Old Sunday 9th April 2017, 23:54   #30
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by michalb View Post
Fantastic news! I can't wait to know a bit more about the Indonesian guide and surely hope it's going to be top quality. But even if not exactly top, it will still be indispensable on any trip to the archipelago :)
The only major shortcoming is the book's index. It is far from user-friendly. See discussion here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342509

And one can find a Quick-find Index there that helps to alleviate some of the problems.

Another review is found here: http://www.10000birds.com/birds-of-t...69104003906250

With similar complaints about the lousy index in an otherwise great book.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th April 2017, 23:43   #31
Birdscentral

I've reviewed the new Australian Bird Guide, including an interview with one of the authors, Rohan Clarke.

https://www.chriswatson.com.au/blog/...ian-bird-guide

Cheers,

Chris Watson
Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 08:13   #32
John Cantelo

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdscentral View Post
I've reviewed the new Australian Bird Guide, including an interview with one of the authors, Rohan Clarke.

https://www.chriswatson.com.au/blog/...ian-bird-guide

Cheers,

Chris Watson
A nice review with some interesting background information. It's certainly a terrific book. However, I must cavil at your description of it as a 'field guide'. Any book weighing in at 1448g and measuring 17.5cm X 25cm X 3.3cm and (so not pocketable even in the most generous cargo pocket) is no field guide! The Collins Bird Guide may not cover every single vagrant (and thus I'd agree that the ABG has the edge here) but, vitally, it's still small enough to be classed as a field guide (the text & illustrations have the edge too ).

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 12:23   #33
Murray Lord

A fair point about the size - but with so many field guides available as phone apps now, one could argue that where saving weight is a priority that's the solution, and therefore the issue is less important than it was a decade ago.
Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 12:28   #34
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Lord View Post
A fair point about the size - but with so many field guides available as phone apps now, one could argue that where saving weight is a priority that's the solution, and therefore the issue is less important than it was a decade ago.
Agreed. A phone app would be very helpful but then again given it's for Oz I'd rather have a handy book than squint at a screen in the bright sunshine.

Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 16:08   #35
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
...........given it's for Oz I'd rather have a handy book than squint at a screen in the bright sunshine.
And the smallish screens on electronic devices don't help either. So I'm all for a printed book as well.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 16:46   #36
andyadcock

Is this available in hardcover?

Only 20 here https://wordery.com/search?term=Aust...+Bird+Guide%2C

Didn't think I'd bother with another Australian guide but the reviews have sold it to me.

A

Last edited by andyadcock : Wednesday 26th April 2017 at 16:59.
Old Thursday 5th October 2017, 14:08   #37
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Finally a sensible species sequence for a FG

Got my copy of this long-awaited book (The Australian Bird Guide, by Peter Menkhorst et al.) and I'm elated to see a species sequence that works for field guides worldwide! Now, if only the rest of the publishing world would adopt what seems like an intuitive way to handle the problem that allows instant insight even for new users. Sure, there have been many earlier attempts worldwide, but as far as I know, none of the modern all-encompassing FGs have the species arranged like this book does.

It's a great book in many other respects as well. But, as others have said before, it is not without its own flaws. For a FG it is definitely larger than desirable. I think it could easily be reduced in size to about the size of a Pizzey/Knight 7th /8th edition. Illustrations are sufficiently large that they could be reduced a bit. And texts are often a bit "wordy", thus a slight reduction should be easy enough to accomplish.

Illustrations are generally of top quality, though one can tell that they come from several illustrators. But they are sufficiently similar in style that one does not stumble over great inconsistencies. My copy suffers from some printing inconsistencies, however! Some pages did not get enough yellow, and thus the respective range maps or bird illustrations definitely suffer from comparability. This is not the same error as reported by Chris Watson (https://www.chriswatson.com.au/blog/...ian-bird-guide). The pages he found erroneous are fine in my copy. In my copy, pages 188 and 189 are typical examples for lacking sufficient yellow. But there are quite a few more, at least in the first half of the book.

It has already been mentioned elsewhere that the index is of the mostly useless kind for common names. As with recent volumes issued by Lynx, the publishers took the easy route and list the species strictly by their first names. That's fine for having all the Christmas Island species together, but simply useless for sandpipers or honeyeaters, to name just two. Fortunately, there is a partial remedy that can be found up front on page vi: The rather elaborate "Alphabetical quick-reference to bird groups". Its only problem is that it is not placed conveniently. Thus, copying it and gluing it opposite of the title page would be what I recommend. In fact, I copied the list with higher contrast in order to allow for better readability of the small font with my old eyes.

One final minor "gripe": The species names on the plates are placed on the left side, and the more I get to the back of the book in my copy, they get closer and closer to the crease. Thus, even for a quick look, one really has to open the book fully in order to quickly scan through the names. It should be easy enough to move these names to the right by at least about 2 or 3 centimeters. Usually, there is more than ample space to do that.

Going by all the points mentioned, I still think the Svensson/Collins FG is the one all others need to strive for. But in most respects the new Australian book has reached the same level.

And to end with an unrestricted positive note; I very much love the comprehensive approach and the inclusion of the birds of the outlying Australian islands that one can commonly visit. Great job, indeed!

Edit: I just noticed that my copy is a Princeton UP version. But as it also says "Printed in China", I presume the problems listed above are not unique to the Princeton edition.
!

Last edited by Swissboy : Thursday 5th October 2017 at 21:52.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: