• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which binoculars? (1 Viewer)

hr21

Hi All,

I am looking at a new pair of binoculars around the £200 to £350 mark

I do general birding, often in woodland, spectacle wearer so eye relief is important.

Previous bins I have owned are, Opticron HR WP 10x42 (found the FOV too restrictive in the end, but liked the visual) and Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 (having focus issues with these)

I am considering changing to,

Vanguard Endeavour IV 8x42 £250
Opticron WA-ED R 8x42 £209
Hawke Frontier ED X 8x42 £339
Viking Merlin 8x42 £239

Anything else I should consider at this price point? Which of above is likely the best bet?

Thanks

Vanguard is nice...but see if you can find as Endeavour II still on closeout...and save some money.....

Hi HR21,

You are looking for a Binocular in your stated price range of 250-350 British Pounds to use for General Birding; often in Woodland, which must have long eye relief because you wear glasses.

https://www.opticronusa.com/Pages/discovery_wp.html

Check out the specs on the Opticron 7x42 Discovery WPPC in the link above.

It has 25mm ER and 408' FOV @1000yds and 7x42 is very useful for woodland birding because it has great depth of field. It also costs, if I'm not mistaken 215 Pounds sterling.

I have one. It is a very useful general purpose binocular and is slightly more compact than most 42mm binoculars are.

Bob

Last edited:
The FOV on the Hawke and Viking models and 32mm models suggested really are impressive. Upland's suggestion certainly looks worth putting on record though maybe currently a bit over OP's budget at UK prices? Looks like Typo/David (along with others) already discussed the Vanguard and Hawke models on your list in earlier posts and he might well have been able to comment on the others but unfortunately seems he is no longer with us. I was going to suggest the Hawke Sapphire ED (predecessor of the Frontier ED X) but seems that has already been considered.

Wondering what the focusing issue with the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 is/was. You must be itching for In Focus or whatever is your local to be open to try some models out.

I didn’t realize the Kowa’s were quite a bit more expensive in the UK! Shame because they are great glasses. Also surprised to see that the Vanguards are a lot less expensive than here.

I didn’t realize the Kowa’s were quite a bit more expensive in the UK! Shame because they are great glasses. Also surprised to see that the Vanguards are a lot less expensive than here.
Yep, Upland, unless I'm looking in the wrong places they seem to be over £400 here :eek!:

Re. the Vanguard Endeavour IV, you've just reminded me to warn the OP that before purchase should check that the model on offer looks like Chuck's in this post :
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=366736

I believe there was an earlier version with a different looking dioptre setting like the one pictured on Amazon UK :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanguard-Endeavor-ED-IV-10x42/dp/B01L9VXLW2

Think there were reliability issues with the earlier version which was responsible for delays in its release and maybe a few subsequent problems for users. There might still be some about going on sale though I don't know if they ever reached the US market.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back