• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Botsuana advice needed (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello together,

I think about bird watching in Botsuana. Main target birds but also other wildlife.
Which is the best time in the year ?
Which budget is needed for a single person ?

I think flight is about 1.000 Euro.
Car rental I found for 3 weeks 1.400 Euro for medium class car or 2.500 Euro for 4x4 with sleeping cabin include premium insurance.
Is 4x4 needed ?

How is about accomodation in the national parks or near bird observation points, which budget is usual for single person ?
In other counties the accomation budget was about 60 - 100 Euro per nights, is this also realistic in Botsuana ?
Is recommended to set up on tent on camping place or is it to dangerous because wild animals ?

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Hello together,

I think about bird watching in Botsuana. Main target birds but also other wildlife.
Which is the best time in the year ?
Which budget is needed for a single person ?

I think flight is about 1.000 Euro.
Car rental I found for 3 weeks 1.400 Euro for medium class car or 2.500 Euro for 4x4 with sleeping cabin include premium insurance.
Is 4x4 needed ?

How is about accomodation in the national parks or near bird observation points, which budget is usual for single person ?
In other counties the accomation budget was about 60 - 100 Euro per nights, is this also realistic in Botsuana ?
Is recommended to set up on tent on camping place or is it to dangerous because wild animals ?

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

4x4 is required for access to certain parts of certain parks i.e Chobe where sandy tracks will prove impossible for a normal vehicle.

I doubt that you'd be allowed to camp in parks unless it's within certain, designated, protected areas due to danger from animals. Elephants are extremely common in Chobe, we saw probably hundreds just on the transit road, Buffalo too.

You should get this book, it has all the details you need including whether 4x4 is required at sites. It also includes an extremly useful, pullout map which clearly marks all the sites covered in the book. IMHO, this is one of the best, if not the best, book of it's type?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Southern-A...6&sr=1-1&keywords=southern+african+birdfinder

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back