• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diederick's or African Emerald Cuckoo (1 Viewer)

frogstar

Hi
I'm not sure if this is a Diederick's or a female African Emerald Cuckoo. Taken in woods near to the Cavern, Drakensburgs.
Thanks in advance
Kevin

Attachments

• 7D2_8680_2.jpg
    7D2_8680_2.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 94
  • 7D2_8682.jpg
    7D2_8682.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 70
I think it's more a case of African Emerald vs Klaas's, if the latter occurs there.

I believe it is juvenile Klaas's.

Emerald should not have white behind the eye and the throat should lack the impression of being barred on white as this bird has.

I'm a bit confused (nothing new there)but the 1st image appears to have a white wing spot which doesn't appear on Klaas's although it could be a trick of the light.

the white albeit small ear patch visible on both sides and the sparse chevron markings on undertail, as well as the still yellow gape should make it a juvenile Klaas's

the white albeit small ear patch visible on both sides and the sparse chevron markings on undertail, as well as the still yellow gape should make it a juvenile Klaas's

The throat and upper breast are far too white for Klaas's?

It also looks too big for Klaas's and there are no white wing spot either.

Last edited:
Andy
I'm using the Robert's Bird Guide second edition quoting about African Emerald:
'Juv poorly known and difficult to separate from juv Klaas's Cuckoo, but more heavily barred below with emerald, in partzicular undertail coverts are coarsely and heavily barred; always lacs white spot behind eye. In the hand, the barring on the crown is white (not buffy) and the lateral uppertail coverts (...)'
For juv Klaas's: 'extremely diffcult to separate from juv African Emerald but less copiously barred with emerald below, in particular undertail coverts largely white withonly a few, narrow chevrons markls; whit e mark behind ear sometimes evident.'

What do you mean by white wing spots?

Andy
'Juv poorly known and difficult to separate from juv Klaas's Cuckoo, but more heavily barred below with emerald, in partzicular undertail coverts are coarsely and heavily barred; always lacs white spot behind eye. In the hand, the barring on the crown is white (not buffy) and the lateral uppertail coverts (...)'
For juv Klaas's: 'extremely diffcult to separate from juv African Emerald but less copiously barred with emerald below, in particular undertail coverts largely white withonly a few, narrow chevrons markls; whit e mark behind ear sometimes evident.'

I was confusing with Dideric.

Last edited:
Andy

Sorry, I'm confusing with Dideric.

I'll have a look at Roberts later but you'll agree that the underpart barring is green? Should be brown on Klaas's, the whole of the throat and upper breast, shouldn't be so white?

http://www.tanzaniabirds.net/African_birds/Cuckoo_Klaas/kc.htm

Last edited:
My copy of Sinclair & Ryan states that juvenile Klaas's features a white post-ocular stripe whereas African Emerald does not, so I would say that clinches the ID of Klaas's.

There was a thread on a couple of similar birds a couple of years ago:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=354009&highlight=klaas's

I still think the undeparts are all wrong for Klaas's, the whiteness and green barring which should be brown?

http://www.tanzaniabirds.net/African_birds/Cuckoo_Klaas/cuckoo_Klass_Monduli_VSchollaert_2010_07.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcell_claassen/6651732209

Last edited:

Attachments

• 05BF4BF2-64B7-4536-8950-685A8CAF1C87.jpeg
    05BF4BF2-64B7-4536-8950-685A8CAF1C87.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 33
Again according to Robert’s sec. ed. there are green plumaged juveniles and bronze plumaged juveniles, something I did not know so far

That seems to settle it!

Cheers for that Tom, I wasn't aware of this either.

I have a baby in one hand and mouse in the other, haven't had chance to look at Roberts.

Thanks for this, an interesting discussion. I've uploaded 2 more shots. The 1st is the same bird but a slightly different view. The 2nd bird was taken the following day but within 200 yards of the bird seen the previous day. Not sure if this confuses things even more but would you find the birds in the same habitat? The exif data should contain the GPS data but in case it doesn't, the 1st bird was 28°38'15.018" S 28°57'37.296" E and the 2nd bird was 28°38'9.954" S 28°57'42.474" E

Attachments

• 7D2_8685.jpg
    7D2_8685.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 7D2_8854.jpg
    7D2_8854.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 41
Same bird?

Looks to have a browner throat and a reddish bill?

Last bird is Dideric.
Thanks Andy, so looks like my original bird is Klaas's and the last is Dideric's and I've thrown a 3rd into the mix |^| Well it was shot in the same area 1.5min time difference so I presumed the same bird, but maybe not.

Same bird?

Looks to have a browner throat and a reddish bill?

Last bird is Dideric.

2 different birds in post #16
second bird is adult Diederic indeed with red eye and red eyering
first bird should be a juvenile Diederik but difficult picture as many important parts not visible

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back