• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

At cross roads (1 Viewer)

Peter Ericsson

I have a 7DMarkii that is diagnosed with a faulty motherboard. The camera is well used and inspite of having serviced it at a cost of 500dollar US some time back it now needs a major overhaul to keep. I think this is not an option. It has served me well for 5 years now.

I also have 100-400mm IS II USM which is a great lens but for quite some time now the auto focus jumps from time to time. I was told it is only a matter of time before it needs replacing.

So, in today's market there are so many options. Change to Nikon, Sony or stay with Canon?

I must say I think the 7DII isnt worth another now rather oldish model. The D90 might do the same job? Then wait for the lens to crash and get another either 2nd hand or new. Not really looking for a 3rd party lens but both Tamron and Sigma are options.

I always handhold my gear while birding. Not an all out photographer.

The mirrorless setups so heavily promoted by many are overpriced in my opinion. Sony looking the best but service of Sony is very costly and not easy here in Bangkok.

I realize there as many options as photographers but if anyone has input I would be grateful!

Although you mention mirrorless being overpriced, I am not sure what your budget is, or long term goals. I personally wouldn’t buy something with the knowledge I will be buying something later that I actually wanted instead.

The upcoming R5 looks very appealing if your budget would stretch, and if in the Canon ecosystem already I would be thinking about that.

Have you considered a complimentary system such as micro 4/3 - the Panasonic G9 is a bit of a bargain in the camera world I think, and if you wanted a larger sensor system too down the road, the m43 kit as I say could be complimentary.

https://j.mp/2B277V3 shows your current gear size against the G9 with full frame equivalent reach of 800mm, and the Olympus E-M1 mkiii with 600mm equiv f/4 The only caveat (sensor size a given) is that m43 currently aren’t as good for tracking, but depending on how operate that might not matter, or as I say if a complimentary system, it could also be a handy kit to have in your arsenal.

Last edited:
If you aren't primarily a photographer and if you get convinced to go with mirrorless, I recommend finding a way to first try it. For me the fact that I don't actually see the bird in the viewfinder (only an image of it) is a deal breaker for that technology. The experience is just so different that I wouldn't blindly jump in it.

I've been watching a fair number of 90d reviews. That 34MP crop sensor looks fantastic! But from what I have seen, for wildlife and BIF especially, the AF on the 90d does not match the 7dii.

If you are thinking of Nikon, there are some pretty good deals on used D500, which is fantastic with say the 200-500 f/5.6 or the tamron/sigma 150-600.

It is a rough time to think of buying a new setup. nikon and canon are so close to coming out with new stuff. Supposedly Canon has big announcements in June/July timeframe.

If you want to stick with Canon, the 5d mark iv at 30 MP is a really nice choice. It's only 12 MP in crop mode equivalent cropping.

If you want something that does well with birds, I think your options go something like this (not in any order). I usually hold to the idea that the cost of something is not its purchase price, but the purchase - resale price. So if you don't know exactly what to do, buy something used then sell it when you figure it out. You likely won't lose much in between

• Buy a used 7dii with the idea that you'll re-sell it when you find the right system. Might lose a small amount on it over that time (e.g. buy for $700 sell for $550 in a year).
  • Look at Micro 4/3. You can get the original E-M1 as a deal used nowadays. It's the way to go for light-weight gear with reach. The Panasonic 100-400 is a nice birding lens, and the Oly 300 although heavier is great too.
  • Nikon has d500 or d7200/7300/7500. The d7200 used is a great deal. Pair with 200-500 or similar.
  • The Sony 200-600 lens is a great consumer-level birding lens. You could pair it with an a7rIII or used a9 for not too much, or go with the rIV or one of their crop sensors. But it will be a very different shooting experience from your Canon.

I don't think any of the current Nikon (z6/z7/z50) or Canon (R/RP) are that great for birding.

For Thailand, does MAP Camera in Tokyo sell there on ebay? They have a large amount of used inventory and their quality ratings are pretty good (A,B,C, etc.).

Good luck. let us know what you choose.

Marc

Hi, No expert but I have the 7D MK II and wish I had not bothered, very disappointed with the ISO above 1000, I am also in the market for a new camera but as I have always used Canon and as such will stick with what I no by going down the 5D MK IV route, with as stated above new cameras on the horizon I think the 5D MK IV will come down in price, yes not in todays market a new tech camera but from what I have read and asked questions about I have not been given one bad review to date. All just my opinion. Russ

Thank you my friends.....I have now spent some time looking in to the options at hand. Not fully decided yet but there is no question anymore as to what is the best lens. Clearly the Sony 200-600 is the lens of choice. Very sharp, well balanced and inexpensive. The camera is more of a challenge as they are costly. I am currently looking at the A7iii which I think will suit my budget best.

I have been informed that fixing my Canon lens is about 1kUS$ and the camera just a little under that.
The Sony set is 4k.......

I did try out the Nikon 200-500 with D7500 but the set up feels cheap and clumpsy.

Not too keen to invest in another Canon set. Not that I am not happy with the results but I also want to see some progress and the dynamic range of the Sony gear, focus system and sharpness of the images proved that.

We will see. Still mulling a bit further.

Peter - the grass is not always greener !

Over at Nikon, to get equivalent/better performance at the same weight/size you would be looking at a D500 + 500PF. Fantastic performance, but you should check the price point to see if that suits you.

If you wanted the next step down at Nikon you could go with the D7500 (or used D7200) + Tamron G2 150-600. That should be friendlier to the budget, but nearly 1/3 a kg heavier.

Staying with Canon, I think a choice of two depending on how you mostly shoot. For more static subjects, you could go with the 90D. As has been said you might lose something in AF compared to the 7DII for BIF, but otherwise should do well with your lens which you won't have to change while ever it is good. Check it out to see if it suits.

For more action oriented BIF or just whatever springs up etc, have a look at the very soon coming 45MP R5 Mirrorless (crops to about 18MP APS-C). I don't think the EVF specs are known at this stage, but it looks like Canon is having a real go with this one. They will price it as such too (just above the 5D IV ?) , should be extremely versatile though, and the sensor will be a step up (not sure if the Samsung connection is accurate or confirmed yet). It will function seamlessly via the Canon adapter with your lens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[EDIT] - I just saw that you'd posted above me. The Nikon D500 + 500PF is arguably the best rig performance wise - but you would lose the zoom capability - not sure how important that is to you ? If it's no issue, then it would be certainly worthwhile getting this set up in your hands - comparable size and weight-wise to your current setup. It should handle very well for you.

The new Canon R5 would be the most future proof option - it looks like it is going to be one of those rare step changes in product history. We will have to wait to see the actual tests and results, but the sensor seems like it will also be a step up from the past (Canon in good form recently with the new IDX III).

The Sony 200-600 seems like a great lens. Does the budget stretch to the A9 body ?

I'd also like to ask about the repairs to your current gear if you're happy to detail. They seem quite expensive as a proportion of purchase price - is there any indication of the root cause of the problems ?

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
repairs

I'd also like to ask about the repairs to your current gear if you're happy to detail. They seem quite expensive as a proportion of purchase price - is there any indication of the root cause of the problems ?

The body (7D2) has a number of problems. 1. the wheel that is on top by the shutter button no longer works so I have to use quick menu button to change settings and cant zoom in and out of my pictures
2. the setting control know on the top left is missing the indicators so I have to find other ways of seeing whether it is in A, P or whatever mode I want....can be done but tedious
3. Main problem is what seems to be the motherboard not functioning properly. Numerous problems, too many to mention. So I am assuming it will cost a lot to change the motherboard.

The lens has a few things. 1. the front has a tiny dent which makes it hard to put on or take off the shield...not a major problem since I also dont use a filter

2. the mount is dent slightly. I can still attach it to the camera but with a lot more force...this will eventually damage the camera mount I was told and should be replaced

3. the focus has a tendency to hang with a jerky stop to it. (not sure how to best describe it) It hasnt stopped me from using the lens so far but often the communication error between camera and lens warning comes on.
Also was told that the manual focus wheel "drags"...

I am not so well versed in technical terms so my apologies

Chosun :gh:[/QUOTE]

The Sony 200-600 seems like a great lens. Does the budget stretch to the A9 body ?

No Sir.....its already a lot......I mostly shoot birds and I need something that is possible to walk with. I know about the Nikon 500pf..looks wonderful but the lens alone cost as much as the full Sony set up.

I have been opposed to mirrorless cameras but after I tried it in the shop I think I can get used to it. However the 200-600 might be a bit much to carry around so I might need to either repair my Canon gear or get a less heavy lens as well for walks. It is not easy to decide. Ha!

The body (7D2) has a number of problems. 1. the wheel that is on top by the shutter button no longer works so I have to use quick menu button to change settings and cant zoom in and out of my pictures
2. the setting control know on the top left is missing the indicators so I have to find other ways of seeing whether it is in A, P or whatever mode I want....can be done but tedious
3. Main problem is what seems to be the motherboard not functioning properly. Numerous problems, too many to mention. So I am assuming it will cost a lot to change the motherboard.

The lens has a few things. 1. the front has a tiny dent which makes it hard to put on or take off the shield...not a major problem since I also dont use a filter

2. the mount is dent slightly. I can still attach it to the camera but with a lot more force...this will eventually damage the camera mount I was told and should be replaced

3. the focus has a tendency to hang with a jerky stop to it. (not sure how to best describe it) It hasnt stopped me from using the lens so far but often the communication error between camera and lens warning comes on.
Also was told that the manual focus wheel "drags"...

Sounds like you are quite tough on your gear :eek!: so although you aren’t considering it, I withdraw my mention of the PanaLeica 100-400, I don’t think it would last very long :-O

Sounds like you are quite tough on your gear :eek!: so although you aren’t considering it, I withdraw my mention of the PanaLeica 100-400, I don’t think it would last very long :-O

I'll second that Peter.

The most robust construction you can find may be your best option, particularly
as you confess to not being an all out photographer.

Mike.

I beg to differ. About a year ago, I was walking a little briskly onto a plank that was wet and at an angle. As a result, my legs disappeared under me, and I landed on the side, with my PanaG85 and PanaLeica 100-400 between me and the plank. The camera and lens are still fine, not a scratch or dent. Me, on the other hand , I had a very tender rib and some damage to my lungs that took half a year to fully disappear

Niels

I beg to differ. About a year ago, I was walking a little briskly onto a plank that was wet and at an angle. As a result, my legs disappeared under me, and I landed on the side, with my PanaG85 and PanaLeica 100-400 between me and the plank. The camera and lens are still fine, not a scratch or dent. Me, on the other hand , I had a very tender rib and some damage to my lungs that took half a year to fully disappear

Niels

Glad you recovered.

That is reassuring to hear re the lens! - hearing stories of cracked mounts is a bit concerning, but good to hear a story of the PL100-400 actually withstanding quite the moment by the sounds of it!

I'm still shooting 7Dii going on 5 years now. A few little quirks i notice the past months not there before. Have tried both the Fuji XT-3 and Olympus OMD EM1-MKii. Fuji was pretty nice IMO, their problem is lack of native long glass. Results I have seen from the Fuji using a Fringer Adapter and Canon 100-400ii and Sigma 150-600 have been pretty darn good though, even BIF. My results from Olympus were very good also, i just didn't care for PL 100-400, copy i rented was rather stiff. Produced very nice pics though. Looks like announcement for R5 pushed out till July but nothing firm on potential ship dates.

Last edited:
Hi ...here is an update...

Had my gear turned in to Canon for their views.
1. Camera, 7D2.....mainboard needs replacement, dial wheel component needs replacement, the program knob needs replacement. Cost 800 US$.

2. The 100-400 Markii.....mount needs replacement, lens front needs replacement, some rubber rings as well...AFTER THAT the focal system can be assesed. So this is another 800 for starters with the potential of having to replace the focal system as well. I could just change the mount and use it in manual focus of course.

So, doesnt seem very smart to pay all that to fix old gear. And, yes, as pointed out, I am heavy on my gear. I take people out in the field and often have to act swiftly which makes me take short cuts with the gear handling.

I went to the store. Looked at Nikon D7500 and 200-500......felt like a bloody beast, outdated in shape ergonomics . Heavey! I know it has good IQ but I need something I can walk around with.
Sony A7iii,,has fantastic reviews and would be a no brainer but once in the hand it feels so so small.....then when you connect it with the 200-600 it feels even smaller. That lens is undisputably a fantastic lens but is it a birding walkabout lens? Hmm....I dont think so.....would alway want to leave it in the car I think.

So, as far as having only 1 lens I think the best option is a 100-400mm lens.
If I could have 2 lenses I would use a heavier one with more reach and even a 300 for my walks.

Darn, it sure ain't easy.

Peter

Canon 90D with Sigma 100-400

This morning a friend popped over. It was too late in the day for good light but Itook him out for a bit as he is new to shooting birds.
The camera was a Canon 90D and the lens Sigma 100-400.
We took the shots from the car and did not spend much time in the field.
The set up felt very good in the hand. So much lighter then my 100-400 Canon with the 7D2. It does have a plasticky feel and funny enough all shots had to be overexposed by 2/3 to display well on the screen.

I was pleased with the results but could also tell there was something missing somehow. This set up is 1700US$ here whereas the 7D2 and Canon 100-400 is over 4k.

Attachments

• goldweaver.jpg
    goldweaver.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 46
  • wp.jpg
    wp.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 41
  • sparr.jpg
    sparr.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 41
  • myna1.jpg
    myna1.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 37
Adding the battery grip or even one of the smaller pinky grips helps with the A7riii. But they are small. The A7rIV addressed some of the ergonomic issues with the iii. I've never used the iii, but I have used the iv. I did not find it uncomfortable shooting the 400/2.8, but really the lens is holding up the camera in that case, not the other way around. I'm used to shooting full-sized Nikons.

The 200-500 is pretty bulky. When I went on a 2 week camping trip to Alaska, I decided it was too big to bring. I went with the Tammy 150-600g2 and sold the 200-500. The Tammy is much easier to haul around and I got good results with the d500.

Tamron and Sigma can have a lot of variation lens-to-lens, more than you would find with Nikon or Canon. If you try enough of them, you'll eventually find a gem. These lenses often need AF fine tuning or adjustments in their docks.

It's going to be hard to compete against the Canon L series lenses (100-400 L IS or L IS II) for quality. I've heard that the II takes a 1.4x TC pretty well. Those Tammy and Sigma lenses are 1/3 the price, which is their main advantage along with weight.

The 100-400 L IS II has been around long enough that there is a decent used market for them. It's likely the best price/performance/weight balance in the $2200 (new) or under price range.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back