• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rumoured Pro Mirrorless Camera (1 Viewer)

Bafty

United Kingdom
Some interesting news....

"According to latest rumors on CR, a Canon pro/high-end mirrorless camera with both RF mount and EF mount is in the works. This means you will be able to mount both RF lenses and EF lenses without the use of an mount adapter"

No mention of pixel count or ISO capabilities but what did raise an eyebrow is that there are now three adapters to use EF lenses.
There is an interesting 100-500mm lens in development which presumably will be on sale this year https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-r-lens-announcement/#
No indication as to if it's compatible with the new RF TC's though.At the long end it looks beyond current AF capabilities with even the 1.4x.
There's enough in this announcement to persuade me that Canon will deliver what I'm looking for and certainly no need to bale out and in to another manufacturers gear whilst incurring a big hit on resale of my Canon gear.
With the jump from DSLR to Mirrorless moving at such a pace I'm in no hurry to jump anyway.

So there you have it the "Pro" R5 is coming soon the rumours suggest trumping the A92 by some margin, 40-45 MP sensor, 12/20 fps, poss 2xCF Express, compatible with EF lens with adaptor .....
Well, they're the headlines to stop folks jumping ship anyway ..... the usual disappointments of limitations, constraints, and exclusions will come later ! :eek!:

It may well be that performance is halved if you want continuous AE and AF ...... :cat:

Oh, and I note that there's only the one 'R mount' - looks like Harry Potter can rest easy ! :-O

Having said that though, Canon seems to have had a red hot go with the 1DX III :t:

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Maybe Pro 'lite' ..... ?
https://m.dpreview.com/articles/352...-eos-r5-rf-100-500mm-lens-under-glass-at-wppi

This thing has gone from 83MP -> 60MP -> 40MP ..... ? :cat:

Interesting to read that this will have the traditional AF joystick ??!
I thought the AF touch tracker released in the 1DX III to widespread acclaim was meant to be an Industry game changer ...... why wouldn't it be used from hereon in for every mid level and up camera at least ?!?

Maybe Pro 'lite' ..... ?
https://m.dpreview.com/articles/352...-eos-r5-rf-100-500mm-lens-under-glass-at-wppi

This thing has gone from 83MP -> 60MP -> 40MP ..... ? :cat:

Interesting to read that this will have the traditional AF joystick ??!
I thought the AF touch tracker released in the 1DX III to widespread acclaim was meant to be an Industry game changer ...... why wouldn't it be used from hereon in for every mid level and up camera at least ?!?

Did Canon ever put out a statement saying that "this thing" (presumably you are referring to the future Canon R5) would be 83Mp or 63MP?
You've killed the whole Canon forum stone dead with all your tripe.
All you do is quote specs and weights of gear and slag Canon off.
It's bored the pants off everyone and the whole Canon forum has been deserted since you arrived.
I think people "get it" that you prefer Nikon/Sony.

Did Canon ever put out a statement saying that "this thing" (presumably you are referring to the future Canon R5) would be 83Mp or 63MP?
You've killed the whole Canon forum stone dead with all your tripe.
All you do is quote specs and weights of gear and slag Canon off.
It's bored the pants off everyone and the whole Canon forum has been deserted since you arrived.
I think people "get it" that you prefer Nikon/Sony.
Whoa cowboy ! :eek!:
Well isn't that just quite the erroneous judgement ! :brains:

Disagree. You'd have to pop over to the DPReview comments section if you want to find fan boiz and girlz slagging off brands other than their favourites.

It's never wise to read too much into either rumours or even development announcements. One thing I have learnt is that Canon can always find a way to disappoint (this is a common malaise suffered by the long term Canon faithful) - ie. It will be interesting to see exactly what "8K" capabilities this camera lobs with. Don't worry - Nikon is just as adept at doing very similar things. It seems that Sony too now that it has obtained a certain position, is becoming every bit as adept at the hobbling and disappointment game.

I am probably more familiar with the Nikon ergonomics and prefer them, though the Canon's are in a similar ballpark ..... it's daylight back to Sony for me personally. This AF touch tracker innovation looks very appealing - I wish Canon had included it on the R5. I hope other manufacturers adopt it too - a very elegant solution. :t:

When Canon was discussing a future "Hi-Resolution" camera, it already had the 50MP 5DSr, and Sony (hence at some stage Nikon) had the 61MP ar7IV on the way. Logically everyone presumed Canon would go beyond that.

I hardly think if there's *crickets* in the Canon forum it's my doing. Rather than put your foot in it with miscomprehending my intentions - post something interesting and insightful yourself ..... :cat:

post something interesting and insightful yourself

Insightful? Definitely.

You have decided Birdforum is the perfect platform to elevate your standing when all you do is post garbage. This is the last time I will bother to respond to any of the posts you initiate. It has no merit whatsoever, hopefully all the other Canon users on the forum will agree and do likewise now. The majority it seems have already made that decision.

Last edited:
Insightful? Definitely.

You have decided Birdforum is the perfect platform to elevate your standing when all you do is post garbage. This is the last time I will bother to respond to any of the posts you initiate. It has no merit whatsoever, hopefully all the other Canon users on the forum will agree and do likewise now. The majority it seems have already made that decision.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ibfQX11aPmg
I meant (as you would be well aware) something insightful on topic (Canon) .....
Look, I'd like to respond to your grab bag of personal misjudgemet, but:-
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk

Last edited:
Canon R5

Good to see - video functionality not hobbled (subject to battery and heat constraints, and just the one CFe card, etc - but better than Canon's recent past) https://m.dpreview.com/news/2500538...k-30-4k-120-with-raw-10-bit-h-265-and-full-af
Perhaps this is a bolder, more competitive Canon - and that's great for everyone :t:

In this time of COVID-19 economic fallout, I cannot help but go back to an earlier point I made though - how good (efficient and profitable) would it have been for the Industry just to go with one mount and communication protocols ..... ? :cat:

Perhaps the Industry (what's left of it) can get together for the curved sensor revolution with a common standard, mount, and protocols :brains:

I wonder if DPReview knows more than they are letting on ?
Often they will be bound by NDA's and then come out with a flurry of review material 'instantaneously' upon release .... :cat:
https://m.dpreview.com/articles/151...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

Canon has reportedly turned to Samsung for the R5 sensor and processor.
That would explain the leap in performance.
It makes sense for Samsung, they get added returns on their chip investments without the headache of the camera business. It also makes sense for Canon, they cannot be proud of getting outpaced by Sony, even disregarding the business impact.

https://www.canonrumors.com/here-is...anon-eos-r6-along-with-the-announcement-date/

R5, R6, and a whole host of lenses ....

f11 ! the heck is going on with that ?!

They must have figured out how to make the AF actually work with less light (like other mirrorless has been able to for some time) and feel that the future in mirrorless is in weight reduction. If people then feel need to upgrade they will need to use adaptor on the big white beasts ...

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back