• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buzzard tail feather? (1 Viewer)

jonafly

Hi y'all

I think that's just what it is, but like confirmation.

André

Attachments

• buizerd.jpg
    buizerd.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 565
Hi Andre,
the feathers S1-S6 on the lowest right picture of the 6 bussard pics on the german website you looked at are Tail feathers (it is the right pic below the text on buzzard feathers);
just the same as those feathers T1-T6 marked yellow on the above wood pigeon drawing (in german that would be S1-S6).

A secondary (Armschwinge in german) would be much more bent and a primary (Handschwinge in german, therefore H) has a totally different shape.

I am getting confused now; perhaps we are just meaning the same thing?

Jörn

Joern:

Do you really use those German terms; i.e. S1, S2 etc. for tail feathers? My German is "ok", and I know that at least in scientific groups (universities etc.), you use the Latin. The reason why I am asking is that in all other languages I know well, they just use some form of the Latin usually changed a bit to fit the local language... but, in any case, still easy to recognize where it originated.

Rasmus,
normally I´d use the international english respectively latin terms (and in scientific work this is usual also in Germany),
but some people don´t; for example the guy in the link Andre found, does use the German terms.

That there are German terms (which are quite old , in fact) is probably due to long the history of interest in birds and bird watching also in Germany (at least as long as in the UK or the US, though it never got that popular as in the UK or the US).
For example the drawings of Johann Friedrich Naumann originate from the same time as John James Audubon´s and are said to be as good, though he never got that popular.

Brendan, To answer that I should cite Shakespeare, King Henry V (the scene in the english camp the night before the final battle):"...and Pistol´s cock is up." ;)
Also fitting to a birdforum, but probably with more ruffled feathers. So I´d better stop here...it´s not so easy for a non-native speaker to put such things the right way.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back