• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Missed the boat from Portugal. (1 Viewer)

We have a new addition to our window cills, they are getting a bit overcrowded now!

In the summer among a whole host of other birds, we had a family of Hoopoe nesting on the garage roof. Who I think had 3 young. Now in mid to late October we have 1 who seems to have missed the boat to Asia. It spends all its days around the house going from window cill to window cill and patio table, or feeding in the garden. It does not seem too disturbed by us moving around inside the house.

My questions are if anyone can help please:-

Will it survive the winter here as we have some frosts?

Is there anything I can do to help it?

We have a pond with a constantly running shallow stream, so there is always water and all the birds love it. If it wanted to, we have outside undercover spaces which are always open, so it could shelter.

Attachments

• IMG_2787b.jpg
    IMG_2787b.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 39
They are often resident in southern Portugal (and southern Spain). With global warming, this is likely to be happening more and more, and the habit spreading further north. Staying put in winter is a risk, but migrating is also hazardous. The balance of which is the safer is changing.

They are often resident in southern Portugal (and southern Spain). With global warming, this is likely to be happening more and more, and the habit spreading further north. Staying put in winter is a risk, but migrating is also hazardous. The balance of which is the safer is changing.

Thank you Nutcracker. I guess we just have to hope as I think it is a young one from this year.

Throughout the western side of Spain and now here in Lisbon have seen a bunch of these over the last week!

Last winter saw at least a couple regularly around the park at the north side of the 'big' bridge...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back