• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the White-eye at Kuala Selangor? (1 Viewer)

SteveClark

I've been to Kuala Selangor Nature Reserve a couple of times over the years. My understanding is that the White-eye there was Oriental White-eye - Z. palpebrosus auriventer. The latest IOC revisions have moved auriventer to Hume's White-eye along with the higher elevation form of Everett's White-eye ssp. wetmorei (as seen at The Gap).

Basically there used to be two species and now it looks like they have been lumped. To further confuse the issue - ssp auriventer is now only supposed to only occur in se Burma and the new Everett's White-eye is only in the Philippines.

Do I have this right if I am following the IOC? What is the IOC ssp name for the White-eye commonly observed in KSNP please?

It is erwini that is present throughout coastal and lowland Peninsular Malaysia, including Kuala Selangor. This is now classified under Swinhoe's White-eye, Z. simplex.

The taxon name auriventer was misplaced, and is under Hume's White-eye (what was part of Everett's, which as you correctly point out, is now restricted to the Philippines + a small island in Indonesia, Talaud).

James

Many thanks James. I've just read the two papers by Wells (2017a and 2017b) and came to the same realisation. Probably not the final word on these White-eyes but resolved for now. Major revisions recently to the African White-eyes as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back