• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reliable Woodland Sites (1 Viewer)

jmmorton

Hi - I live nr Nottingham and I'm doing the #my200birdyear and thinking of coming over to Derbyshire to look for Pied and Spotted Flycatcher, Redstart and Wood Warbler plus Dipper and other good stuff. I've searched online but can't seem to find any up to date and reliable sites.

Are you able to recommend any sites to concentrate my efforts. I can only do weekends and have limited 'windows'. Is Goyt Valley still a good place? Presume early mornings are best.

I appreciate the sensitivity so some generalisation would help.

Thanks in advance

Jonno

Goyt valley should give you those except wood Warbler which is very sporadic
Can meet up if you like( I live very close to reliable pied fly site - had one in my garden 3 days ago)
Send me a pm if interested

Padley Gorge near Grindleford best place for Pied Flycatcher I got 12 there a few days ago. Also saw Redstarts and Tree Pipits there. A bit to early for Wood Warblers but they are there as well but small numbers.

Thanks both. I also had Shining cliff Woods recommended to me so a few options there. The forecast looks poor for the weekend and my wife has done her back in so it may not yet happen but thanks for the info and the kind offer to meet up.

Jonno

Hi
For Dipper I recently had at least three pairs along Wye Dale just outside Buxton between the car park and the cottages/cycle hire hut.
One pair is nesting quite close to the main carpark so you almost don't have to get out of the car.
The Goyt Valley is a great spot seen in past years Tree Pipit, Redstart, Pied Flycatchers there never been lucky enough to see Wood Warbler there a walk along the road alongside the Errwood Reservoir should get you all of the mentioned species (from the car park by the dam (which goes up the steep bank) to the car park at the opposite end. I have often heard Cuckoo there as well but not really gone looking for them.
Goyter will be your man though for the full intel on the site being a Staffs boy I don't know the place that well.

All the best

Tim.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back