• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can`t decide. (1 Viewer)

stevo

Hi folks.

Currently using a canon 10d & a sigma 135-400mm,now in the new year i`ll have the money to upgrade to either the 40d or the new sigma 150-500mm.I won`t be able to afford both so what do I go for?

Steve.B :)B :)B :)

From what I've seen the image quality from the new Sigma OS zooms is in the same league as your current lens, so all you'd really gain is OS and a bit of reach. Personally I think you'd be better off looking for a used 400 f5.6 or 100-400 IS which shouldn't cost you much more. I definitely think that the 40D would be a better way to spend your money than the 150-500.

Thanks i`ve spoken to sigma they tell me my lens might need a re-chip to work with the 40d which would cost £5.So not a problem.

Steve.

I agree with Peter,you would be better off with the 40d.
As for chipping the lens I also use a 135-400mm on a new 450d so you should be fine.

I agree with others - go for the 40D. One thing to keep in mind - the 10D is a 6MP camera and the 40D is a 10MP. So you are effectively getting more reach out of your current 135-400 lens just by upgrading to the 40D (i.e. you can crop images more and be left with the same number of pixels).

I would vote for changing the Sigma zoom for a Canon prime, either 400/5.6 or 300/4 with 1.4 teleconverter.

as a Nikon user I shouldn't really comment but....

a friend of mine has been using a Canon 20d with either a Sigma 18-50f2.8 or a 100-400 IS. The images with the 18-50 especially always looked very soft to me and she admitted that some shots she took with a Nikon d70s and the 18-55 kit zoom were better!

She has just bought a 50d and the images look lightyears better to my eyes I did a real double take when I saw them.

make of that what you will, i'm not certain swapping zooms will make a huge impact.

Personally I would try and find the extra few bob and go for the 50D!!!!!! For me seems that too may people have experienced problems with the 40D and it is now a 2 year old camera.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions I think i`ll buy the lens first then save up for the camera.Why you might ask well the 40/50d might have more pixels allowing you too crop but in my view croppings not the answer getting the subject to fill the frame in the first place is.

Merry xmas.

Steve.

Personally I would try and find the extra few bob and go for the 50D!!!!!! For me seems that too may people have experienced problems with the 40D and it is now a 2 year old camera.

The drums always seem to beat the loudest when somebody/anybody has a problem with a camera. I must have been very fortunate in that, touch wood HaHa, I have had no problems whatsoever with my 40D.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions I think i`ll buy the lens first then save up for the camera.Why you might ask well the 40/50d might have more pixels allowing you too crop but in my view croppings not the answer getting the subject to fill the frame in the first place is.

Merry xmas.

Steve.

sort of true but you aren't really increasing the quality of what you've got.

as I said I'd upgrade the body

but if you want better glass and it was me I'd go with the 300 f4 with TC (i'd prefer this to a 400 5.6 purely for IS) in preference to another so what commercial zoom.

Think about it less is not always more.

Oh out of interest the 50-150 was highly regarded, is the new 150-500 in the same class or is it a 170-500 with OS added?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back