• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Crikey Mikey, what a talented chappy you are! Love the portraits for a start! Were these done from the family posing or from a photo? - whatever they're very impressive. I've found myself sketching faces off tv recently in a bid to bring some improvement in to my drawing. I get caricatures! Whether it's good practice for birds I've no idea but it's fun.

On to the field work - outstanding! Great captures of the geese and spugs, and I love the light and shade on the avocets. been sketching these myself recently and I quickly realised why they're the 'artists wader'.

It's great to see more field work from you.

Russ

Cheers all.

The portraits are from a couple of informal snaps taken a couple of years ago. The photos were taken with flash, hence the harsh central highlight in the eyes and the rather flat lighting. Not what I would have chosen but my friends live in Singapore now so posing wasn't an option and anyway the painting is a surprise.

It feels good to get out with the sketchbook again, I've got to start flexing the sketching muscles for the Singapore trip after all!

Mike

From reality, to sketchpad, to easel, to BF, all in a day.

Elmley is full of yellow wags right now, I can't resist 'em! Although I had a fun trip out today, most of the morning was pretty flat lightwise and I wasn't inspired to put anything down in the pad. But on the way out of the reserve the sun came out and this yellow wagtail posed for me. He seemed to be watching mosquitos so they went in too.

Just a small 'bird on a stick' painting, only 7.5" x 5.5".

Mike

Attachments

• ywagmossies.jpg
    ywagmossies.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 64
  • yelowag026.jpg
    yelowag026.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 84
This is wonderfull... a tiny sketch seen in the Nature makes a wonderfull result. This is what makes me proud to be a wildlife artist.

Congrats Mike!

Wow, Mike, I certainly missed a ton of great work! This is an amazing range of sketches, paintings and subjects. The people portraits are just as well done as the birds - great versatility here!

brilliant to be able to document this image from observation to sketch to finished painting all in one day.it's far more than a 'bird on a stick' painting!

Thanks all.

This is one I've wanted to do for ages. One of the most watchable of spring courtship displays.

Mike

Attachments

• a-gift-lores.jpg
    a-gift-lores.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 82
At first glance, I thought you'd posted a photograph, the water is just top end detail and the whole image is perfect.......This will be on someones wall very soon methinks..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back