• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help requested - Spain, Andalucia, August, 9th, 2018 (1 Viewer)

Tatran

Hallo,

just returned back from Spain, Andalucia, having spent few nice days in Jerez and Seville. I would be very grateful for advices helping to ID two birds I met - please see both attached pictures:

1. Laguna la Mejorada, Los Palacios on August, 9th, 2018 at about 18:30. They were soaring about 50 white storks in the proximity of the laguna. One bird coming from that direction, I thought first it would be stork but later noticing that the bill was not red but grayish-yellow, rather long and heavy. Feathers not entirely white rather showing darker parts. I shot two bad pictures from about 200m. After reviewing my pictures I would think it must be Asian Openbill (Anastomus oscitans). Any ideas? Should the ID be correct do you have any information about status of this species in Europe? Surely escape?

2. Bonanza pools near to Sanlucar on August, 8th, 2018 at about 13:00. There was a bird swimming on the pool direct next to main road. I shot again some bad pictures and thought first it must be marbled teal (Marmaronetta angustirostris) but the bird shows absolutely no signs of white/hell blotches on wing feathers. On the other hand white tail and greyish tipps on the wing feather. I would be interested to hear opinions about the ID and also possible gender and age of the bird.

Thank you very much.

Peter

Attachments

• Laguna_Mejorada.jpg
    Laguna_Mejorada.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 168
  • Bonanza_pools.jpg
    Bonanza_pools.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 156
1. juv. White Stork I think - their bills start dark grey/black gradually revealing a duller red than the adults.
2. maybe juv.Marbled Duck - it looks like one to me.

My initial thought on the first bird was a pelican of some sort but on looking more closely it doesn't seem right. I'll have to give it more thought..... The second bird looks like a young Red-crested Pochard (which certainly breed at the site).

My initial thought on the first bird was a pelican of some sort but on looking more closely it doesn't seem right. I'll have to give it more thought..... The second bird looks like a young Red-crested Pochard (which certainly breed at the site).

Funny John, that was my first thought!

We're not used to seeing Storks wading chest deep I guess.

Having looked again I think Simon's right and that the first bird is a White Stork. Like Andy, I was completely thrown by the fact it seems to be swimming around in the middle of a lake! Having a huge amount of respect for Simon's knowledge & expertise, I'm gratified that on reflection he agrees with me that the second bird is a R-c Pochard

White Stork for me too, I don't see any mandible gap here to make it an Openbill, bizarre to see it swimming! Red-crested Pochard also

Also, an Asian Openbill would be well out of its Indian sub continent range, not precluding an escaped collection bird.

I just would like to thank you for your great support. I've never seen a swimming stork and the bird was indeed swimming about 200m from the shore in the middle of the laguna. Also the bill was greatly different from the juvenile storks that I've seen so far. But taking into account all the possibilities the juvenile white stork seems to be the best bet.
As far as the second bird is concerned I haven't seen until now a red crested pochard with entirely white tail but once again considering all other characteristics it seems to be the best ID.

I have lightened up the Red Crested Pochard photo and cropped it. I think the result makes the diagnosis of Red Crested Pochard more readily apparent

Attachments

• Bonanza_pools.jpg
    Bonanza_pools.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 22
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back