• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows return-They brought friends (1 Viewer)

buckskin hawk

Oklahoma Birder
I spent about 2 hours on the trails at my local nature center, Oxley. We have had our second "cold" front. It was 88 two days ago and today's high was only 66 so more birds are joining us. With most of the leaves fallen, I had some really good looks. I have listed the notable ones below.

Some sparrows are really stuborn however. They were scurrying through the fallen and matted tall grasses. This behavior is very much like a Henslows but they weren't making that muffled hick-up. They were just running under the grasses. Henslows just don't want to come out of the grass.

Common Loon ;)
Green-winged Teal
northern Shoveler
Red Tailed Hawk
Long-billed Dowitcher ;)
Wilson's Snipe
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Sedge Wren ;)
Ruby Crowned Kinglet ;)
Chipping Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow ;)
Vesper's Sparrow
White Crowned Sparrow ;)
White Throated Sparrow
Hermit Thrush ;)
Red winged Blackbird

I have marked the new additions to my local list and several are additions to my year list as well. The weather was absolutely perfect. This spot is a mere 10 minutes from the airport and the only draw back is the air traffic overhead.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back