• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AGW and rising sea levels (2 Viewers)

That's funny. If data don't fit the theory, discard them as outliers. In rational analysis there are procedural rules for defining and discarding "outliers." Not liking the answer isn't one of them.

Not 'them', but 'it'. All that's been brought in evidence so far is a single cherry-picked date. Reminds me of Inhofe's infamous snowball.

With regard to things having a bearing on AGW, what else could have a bearing since Anthropos means humans in Greek? Circular reasoning doesn't get anywhere, but it makes some people feel good. Me, I just get a bit nauseous.

Tedious word-play with no bearing on anything. . ..

Fugl,

Chosun's comment refers to the summer.
Sydney had its hottest summer on record, yet fell short of the all time temperature record set in 1939. It was also only NSW's 3rd hottest summer on record.
Ed

Ed,

Perhaps not so unusual. It seems that despite best efforts to logically disassociate from societal norms (stemming from cooperation for survival, and organization), struggles with true 'objectivity' has been, is, and will be, an ongoing issue in Science, universally, and globally ....

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6329/1022.full

Chosun :gh:

Chosun,

Sorry, I meant to respond earlier.

Yes, a very interesting article. :t:

As to your point, scientific objectivity all too often involves conflicts with these social forces. In areas like climate research only brave souls venture forward with truth on their lips and wrapped in a cloak of objectivity. So it's no accident that objectivity emerges in the hothouses of tenure and retirement, which is a good thing for us aged folks.

Ed

Last edited:
Can't skip it 'cause it wants me to log in. The freebee days may be over with the NYT. :-C

How irritating and what a shame! Things seem to be in flux. When I clicked the the link just now, the "skip deals" arrow had been replaced by a "continue to NYT" tab which took me directly to the article. But, then, I'm a subscriber permanently signed in.

I'm at a loss to know why they'd want to behave in this churlish way. I would have thought they'd encourage the sharing of individual articles with non-subscribers in hopes of gaining new paid customers. Hopefully it's just a temporary glitch.

Last edited:
Well, in the meantime you might enjoy a somewhat older article on the same subject. History is repeating itself I guess.

Ed

Attachments

• Pg. 4.pdf
    367.8 KB · Views: 103
It doesn't change anything for me. But then you're in the UK. Over here we pay for everything. ;)

This from NYT "support" in response to my complaint--

". . .Non-subscribers to the NYTimes are allows (sic!) 10 articles a month. If the recipient of your shared emails has exceeded this limit, they will not be able to access the articles you have sent until the next month. . .".

A stupid short-sighted policy in my opinion, but there it is!

Lack of sediment formation is having major impacts in Chinese river deltas too.

Some of the stuff in this article makes me chuckle. The references to people being relocated from the Lockyer Valley, Queensland is one such instance. After the flash floods of 2011 killed dozens of people, and caused billions of dollars worth of damage, serious and concerted efforts were made to relocate the residents of Grantham (elevation ~100m+ above sea level, and located over 100km from the coast!) off the inland creek and river floodplains up onto nearby higher hilltop ground. Locker Valley Mayor Steve Jones said of the old town's location and the disaster, "We're stupid bastards, we just keep building in the swamp".

Nothing at all to do with climate change (whatever it's cause), and everything to do with human folly.

This to me represents the biggest threat, concreting over riparian areas and destroying their functioning (air conditioning, water flow regulation, and soil formation - that's carbon sequestration).

https://eos.org/opinions/global-sig...s&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EosBuzz032417

Way too many known, and unknown unknowns in the whole Carbon-CO2 system for humans to be mucking about in it in any way at all in my view, and this includes CO2 emission reductions .... (pollution reduction I'm all for - air quality and water quality - way too much plastic in the oceans).

By all means keep heading toward the solar powered future, and researching the whole system (I'm getting mighty hungry waiting for that pie), but don't pretend we're smart enough to be mucking around with fertilized ocean solutions etc.

Why is it that no-one ever mentions that water vapour (an emission from hydrogen powered engines) is a greenhouse gas thus rendering that solution nonsensical?
http://www.roperld.com/science/fuelcellspollution.htm

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back