• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

little owls (1 Viewer)

We have also had a big decline in Little Owls in North East Hampshire (used to be a very easy year tick, now difficult to find except at one or two sites).

The trouble with the hotter, dryer argument is the three I saw yesterday morning near Oued Massa with no effort at all.....

John

We have also had a big decline in Little Owls in North East Hampshire (used to be a very easy year tick, now difficult to find except at one or two sites).

The trouble with the hotter, dryer argument is the three I saw yesterday morning near Oued Massa with no effort at all.....

John

They do originate from warmer, drier climes but in those countries there's an abundance of large insects to choose from which are either lacking or much less abundant here.

I spend most of my time doing entomology, I have been noticing in the past ten years or so how real the decline in insect and numbers has been. As an example I was doing some sweep-net survey on a chalk grassland site in southern England in May 2018, in two hours I didn't record a single hoverfly species where I'd had fifteen species in the same area, same corresponding week and same conditions, despite the sun being out, the temp being 22oC and there being next to no wind. It didn't improve as the summer progressed. While these are not Little Owl food it does speak of how dire the situation is becoming.
There's also been mass decline in dung beetles which Little Owls do feed on (despite there always being livestock on my previously mentioned site which had eight pairs, I virtually never see any dung beetles there in my weekly and sometimes twice weekly visits), mostly I suspect because of increased use of worming boluses etc. of livestock, particularly Avermectins, there was one school of thought some time ago in entomology circles that this could have been part of the reason Red-backed Shrikes became extinct in the UK.
I'm sure someone better informed than me could probably point to a large scale decline of earthworms too, how often do we see gulls following the plough these days? virtually never, as a result of firstly artificial fertilisers being used in preference to farmyard manure, and second because if manure is used it's usually devoid of insect use due to worming of livestock. There simply aren't the soil invertebrates to attract feeding birds anymore.

Note BWP considers Little Owl population reached its UK peak in 1930s following rapid expansion post Introduction in late 19th century.

I spend most of my time doing entomology, I have been noticing in the past ten years or so how real the decline in insect and numbers has been. As an example I was doing some sweep-net survey on a chalk grassland site in southern England in May 2018, in two hours I didn't record a single hoverfly species where I'd had fifteen species in the same area, same corresponding week and same conditions, despite the sun being out, the temp being 22oC and there being next to no wind. It didn't improve as the summer progressed. While these are not Little Owl food it does speak of how dire the situation is becoming.
There's also been mass decline in dung beetles which Little Owls do feed on (despite there always being livestock on my previously mentioned site which had eight pairs, I virtually never see any dung beetles there in my weekly and sometimes twice weekly visits), mostly I suspect because of increased use of worming boluses etc. of livestock, particularly Avermectins, there was one school of thought some time ago in entomology circles that this could have been part of the reason Red-backed Shrikes became extinct in the UK.
I'm sure someone better informed than me could probably point to a large scale decline of earthworms too, how often do we see gulls following the plough these days? virtually never, as a result of firstly artificial fertilisers being used in preference to farmyard manure, and second because if manure is used it's usually devoid of insect use due to worming of livestock. There simply aren't the soil invertebrates to attract feeding birds anymore.

This global decline in insect numbers has been highlighted in the press recently, with all sorts of doomsday scenario warnings. LOs could be one of the indicator species ahead of much worse species declines.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/scie...ct-loss/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1b9d0c3e75ff

Numbers have certainly plummeted. I remember as a lad in the 70's you would see them regularly perched out in the open on top of telegraph poles and the like in broad daylight. I have even had one perched on my garage roof in the suburbs about 15 years ago.

It has been speculated that, due to their propensity for roosting out in the open that they have suffered from predation as the numbers of hawks and peregrines has increased dramatically post DDT. Personally, although this may be a factor I do not think that it is the main reason for the decline.

It is more likely a combination of things. Predation, competition for nest sites (squirrels have been known to take over nest holes and even predate eggs) habitat loss, (particularly on the edges of towns where more suburban gardens are being turned over to hard landscaping) and possibly even climate change.

Obviously harsh winters will have an effect but that generally tends to be a cyclical thing with populations recovering but there is definitely been a steady decline in recent years despite the fact that genmerally we have not had particularly bad winters.

Could light pollution also be a factor. I know this has been postulated as a cause for the decline in urban tawny owls?

It is more likely a combination of things. Predation, competition for nest sites (squirrels have been known to take over nest holes and even predate eggs) habitat loss, (particularly on the edges of towns where more suburban gardens are being turned over to hard landscaping) and possibly even climate change.

Obviously harsh winters will have an effect but that generally tends to be a cyclical thing with populations recovering but there is definitely been a steady decline in recent years despite the fact that generally we have not had particularly bad winters.

Could light pollution also be a factor. I know this has been postulated as a cause for the decline in urban tawny owls?

Little Owls are also daylight hunters. I encountered quite a few when doing my Norfolk Bird Atlas tetrads, but they are also excellent in adapting to locations illuminated at night. In the 1980s, juvenile Little Owls and their parents at RAF Swanton Morley near Dereham in Norfolk habitually perched on the lamp-posts of the streetlights on the base and feasted on the large insects attracted to the light. I saw this behaviour also in the early 1990s on a work visit to RAF St Mawgan in Cornwall.

I agree with the earlier suggestion that the virtual disappearance of large insects throughout the UK could be the pivotal reason for the decline. Such insects are probably a mainstay for developing chicks (prey that needs less effort by adults), remaining important for fledglings and juvenile birds until hunting skills have been sufficiently honed for them to tackle small birds and also rodents.
MJB

I made the same point on here several years ago about the decline of the little owl population, at the time nobody else seemed to see any problem, the little owls here went from 4 breeding pairs all within walking distance to none 2 years ago. At first I thought it was due to the increase in Buzzard numbers, it's certainly not due to loss of habitat or nest sites as the habitat hasn't changed and all the nest sites are still there. I'm also not convinced it's shortage of food as the Barn and Tawny Owls have maintained their numbers. Could it possibly be the increase in Grey Squirrel numbers?

I made the same point on here several years ago about the decline of the little owl population, at the time nobody else seemed to see any problem, the little owls here went from 4 breeding pairs all within walking distance to none 2 years ago. At first I thought it was due to the increase in Buzzard numbers, it's certainly not due to loss of habitat or nest sites as the habitat hasn't changed and all the nest sites are still there. I'm also not convinced it's shortage of food as the Barn and Tawny Owls have maintained their numbers. Could it possibly be the increase in Grey Squirrel numbers?
Can't see Buzzards being anything other than a very rare predator on Little Owls. But the large insect problem would still be significant: Barn & Tawny are not significant insect-eaters, Little is.

Point in evidence: in all my years birding, I've only ever seen one cockchafer - they are effectively extinct. But agricultural textbooks from before the widespread use of insecticides describe cockchafers as a serious agricultural pest causing massive damage to crops. Cockchafers are a good food source for Little Owls, and also for other large insect eaters like Red-backed Shrikes.

Cockchafers are still very regular in my moth trap here in Hampshire but I don't know if that's the case further north.

Dave W

The 2019 reporting rate for LOs on BirdTrack is about half the historical trend, down from about 1.5% of complete lists to around 0.75%. 2013-2016 seems fairly stables, it's the last two years when there's been the downtrend.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back