• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Second-hand 1d: is mkIII worth £1300 more than mkII? (1 Viewer)

JCL

I have itchy fingers... It's feeling like time to buy a new Canon body. I enjoy both my 40d. I'm not persuaded by the 7d (too many quibbles, and I wouldn't use the video), and there seems little point swapping from a 40D to a 50D. Which, all in all, gives me the ammo to go for one of the 1d range, second hand. But which? The mark II seems decent value at around £5-600. The mark III second-hand price seems to be around £1800.

So... is the mark III worth the extra £1300 for a man with a new child and thus new financial commitments? Or would a move from 40D to a 1d mkII be a savvier use of a few hundred quid?

There's no need to pay £1800 for a mkIII, they regularly come up for sale at £1250-£1500.
Saying that though if the pennies are tight the mkII is a very good camera for the money they fetch and would be my recommendation, and keep some money in the bank for the little one.
Far more rewarding than a newer camera :t:.

Seconding what Paul says - depending on the seller (ie dealer or private) then they can be got for £1300 to £1600 no problem.

Camera shops would nornally give you a 6 month warranty which is extra peace of mind shoudl you need it but the 1D3's shutter count cannot be told unless Canon have it plugged into one of their machines in a service centre.

That said, it's a Pro body and unless it's had a rough life the shutter has a guideline life of 300k cycles.

As a 20D then 40D user, I have to say it's an awesome camera and as I hankered after the better ISO performance and 10fps I went for the extra features of the 1d3 rather than the 1d2. Sadly I cannot comment on the 1d2's range of features in comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back