Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Monopod Head

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 11th April 2012, 09:46   #26
jalethbridge
I like sea-watching
 
jalethbridge's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: london
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex berryman View Post
What would you guys recommend as a good, cheap head for a monopod. I'm unsure whether to go for a ball head or 3 way pan one. Which design is best for a monopod and has anyone got any specific models they'd recommend?

Alex
I asked this question some time ago, and bought a manfrotto 234 in despair, as all decent tilt heads were astronomically expensive. I used the 234 once, and never again. For many months now I have just used a Wimberley ARCA-style clamp directly on the top plate of the monopod, and it works extremely well in almost all commonly encountered situations. So good in fact that I rarely take my tripod anywhere. The clamp I bought was called a C12 and has a twist lock. It is very sturdy, and I have no qualms about having the monopod over my shoulder with the camera and lens (5.5kg) still mounted. Best 65 quid I ever spent.
__________________
If you've never stared off in the distance, then your life is a shame - Counting Crows
http://wansteadbirder.blogspot.com/
http://justbirdphotos.com/
jalethbridge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 11th April 2012, 10:01   #27
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper
 
Roy C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Barnstaple,North Devon,UK
Posts: 16,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalethbridge View Post
I asked this question some time ago, and bought a manfrotto 234 in despair, as all decent tilt heads were astronomically expensive. I used the 234 once, and never again. For many months now I have just used a Wimberley ARCA-style clamp directly on the top plate of the monopod, and it works extremely well in almost all commonly encountered situations. So good in fact that I rarely take my tripod anywhere. The clamp I bought was called a C12 and has a twist lock. It is very sturdy, and I have no qualms about having the monopod over my shoulder with the camera and lens (5.5kg) still mounted. Best 65 quid I ever spent.
I agree about the 234 - I also used a Arca-swiss style clamp (jobu) direct onto the monopod when I was shooting with the 300/2.8 - would have been nice to have had a tilt head but for me the 234 was just not up to it. I have ordered a Sirui tilt head L-10x just to see if it is any better (only shooting with a 400/5.6 these days so lightweight).
Roy C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 12:09   #28
kurakura
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denmark
Posts: 267
I actually like a gimbal style head on a monopod......
kurakura is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 13th April 2012, 13:17   #29
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper
 
Roy C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Barnstaple,North Devon,UK
Posts: 16,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
I actually like a gimbal style head on a monopod......
Yes, I have tried that and it works well enough. Only problem I found was that when carrying the rig over your shoulder it was not that comfortable.
Roy C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 13th April 2012, 18:22   #30
Wachtel
Registered User
 
Wachtel's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 110
I've tried the Manfrotto 234RC with my 300 2,8 and it's just no good. I now use just the monopod without a head.

Isn't the Sirui a knock-off of the RRS MH-01?
Wachtel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 02:18   #31
johnf3f
johnf3f

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachtel View Post
I've tried the Manfrotto 234RC with my 300 2,8 and it's just no good. I now use just the monopod without a head.

Isn't the Sirui a knock-off of the RRS MH-01?
Yup!
Not as good but way cheaper!
I have the L10 X - it's pretty good - I am quite sure the RRS is far better - but lots more pennies!
johnf3f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 19th April 2012, 16:36   #32
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper
 
Roy C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Barnstaple,North Devon,UK
Posts: 16,251
My Sirui L10-X arrived today, not tried it in the field yet but playing around at home it is certainly a lot smoother tilt action than my 234. My Jobu arca style lens plate also fits (just!) so I can just leave it on the lens for tripod,monopod or hand carrying via a Black rapid strap - ideal!!!.
I also have the option of using the Sirui QR plate on the Black widow gimbal and Jobu arca lens clamp if I want, again the Sirui plate just fits these (the Sirui plate is a little narrower than the Jobu gear).
Just need a decent bit of weather to test the tilt head in the field now.
Roy C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 22nd May 2012, 23:05   #33
johnf3f
johnf3f

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
My Sirui L10-X arrived today, not tried it in the field yet but playing around at home it is certainly a lot smoother tilt action than my 234. My Jobu arca style lens plate also fits (just!) so I can just leave it on the lens for tripod,monopod or hand carrying via a Black rapid strap - ideal!!!.
I also have the option of using the Sirui QR plate on the Black widow gimbal and Jobu arca lens clamp if I want, again the Sirui plate just fits these (the Sirui plate is a little narrower than the Jobu gear).
Just need a decent bit of weather to test the tilt head in the field now.
I found the same with the Sirui plates, they are just that little bit narrower which is a bit of a pain on the L10X with the lever lock.
I have a couple of the Sirui QR plates and have put them on my camera bodies and use my Kirk/Wimberley/unbranded QR plates on my lens feet. That way when I use my monopod (with the L10) all my "Other Brand" plates fit and, on my tripod heads, I have screw locks so the size does not matter.
If you have a look at where the locking lever (on the L10X) pivots you will see that there is an Allen head grub screw which you can adjust (with some force) to give a better lockup. I am shure with your background your have already spotted this.
johnf3f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th November 2012, 02:46   #34
horukuru
Here I Come !
 
horukuru's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near with Mt. Kinabalu, Sabah at Borneo Island
Posts: 6,222
I'm thinking of buying this for my 300mm 2.8 lens. Anyone has the same combo for comments ?
horukuru is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th November 2012, 02:04   #35
johnf3f
johnf3f

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by horukuru View Post
I'm thinking of buying this for my 300mm 2.8 lens. Anyone has the same combo for comments ?
Since my last post I have bought a 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 and can confirm that it's fine with this lens and a pro body. Last weekend I got the chance to try the RRS MH01 and have to admit it is considerably better, than the Sirui, but is silly money for what it is (the owner agrees).
Get the version with the screw type QR clamp rather than the lever type if you can, it is simply easier as Arca type plates do vary in size Especially the Sirui ones!
If you can only get the lever type then it can be adjusted quite simply (not necessarily easily!). If you look at where the lever pivots you can see an allen headed bolt - this can be adjusted to give the right tension for your Arca QR plates, make certain your Allen key is a tight fit as Sirui have a thing about thread lock - they use a lot of it!
johnf3f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th November 2012, 02:14   #36
horukuru
Here I Come !
 
horukuru's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near with Mt. Kinabalu, Sabah at Borneo Island
Posts: 6,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf3f View Post
Since my last post I have bought a 300 F2.8 L IS Mk1 and can confirm that it's fine with this lens and a pro body. Last weekend I got the chance to try the RRS MH01 and have to admit it is considerably better, than the Sirui, but is silly money for what it is (the owner agrees).
Get the version with the screw type QR clamp rather than the lever type if you can, it is simply easier as Arca type plates do vary in size Especially the Sirui ones!
If you can only get the lever type then it can be adjusted quite simply (not necessarily easily!). If you look at where the lever pivots you can see an allen headed bolt - this can be adjusted to give the right tension for your Arca QR plates, make certain your Allen key is a tight fit as Sirui have a thing about thread lock - they use a lot of it!
Thanks a lot John !

The locking mechanisme is smooth ? I planned to use it with my Wimberley plate ...
horukuru is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 7th November 2012, 19:51   #37
johnf3f
johnf3f

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by horukuru View Post
Thanks a lot John !

The locking mechanism is smooth ? I planned to use it with my Wimberley plate ...
My lever type L10 wouldn't lock on my Wimberley plate so I had to adjust it - see previous posts for details, now it locks fine on all plates except Sirui!?! If you get the one with the screw type lock then it will fit any arca style plate.

The tilting mechanism on mine was quite smooth but the amount of drag varied as the angle changed being stiffer around top dead centre. I couldn't quite see why as there was no difference in the metal thickness and the locking cross piece was not fouling anything. If you look just above the locking knob there is a silver Allen headed bolt, I slackened this (intending to take the head apart) and noticed that everything smoothed up even more. I then re tightened it to a more sensible level and the drag consistency has improved. It was OK before but is better now - I think this bolt was over tightened in the factory.
Overall I find it quite good but remember this is no RRS so don't expect as much and you won't be disappointed especially at the price.
Hope the above helps.
P.S. Just looked at your avatar - I have not yet tried carrying it over my shoulder with the 300 F2.8.

Last edited by johnf3f : Wednesday 7th November 2012 at 19:53. Reason: additional info
johnf3f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 8th November 2012, 09:32   #38
horukuru
Here I Come !
 
horukuru's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near with Mt. Kinabalu, Sabah at Borneo Island
Posts: 6,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf3f View Post
My lever type L10 wouldn't lock on my Wimberley plate so I had to adjust it - see previous posts for details, now it locks fine on all plates except Sirui!?! If you get the one with the screw type lock then it will fit any arca style plate.

The tilting mechanism on mine was quite smooth but the amount of drag varied as the angle changed being stiffer around top dead centre. I couldn't quite see why as there was no difference in the metal thickness and the locking cross piece was not fouling anything. If you look just above the locking knob there is a silver Allen headed bolt, I slackened this (intending to take the head apart) and noticed that everything smoothed up even more. I then re tightened it to a more sensible level and the drag consistency has improved. It was OK before but is better now - I think this bolt was over tightened in the factory.
Overall I find it quite good but remember this is no RRS so don't expect as much and you won't be disappointed especially at the price.
Hope the above helps.
P.S. Just looked at your avatar - I have not yet tried carrying it over my shoulder with the 300 F2.8.
Hehehe thanks a lot John. Will updated once I got this one in my hand and the avatar was in 2007 I think carrying my Nikon ED82 scope
horukuru is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 9th November 2012, 01:12   #39
johnf3f
johnf3f

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by horukuru View Post
Hehehe thanks a lot John. Will updated once I got this one in my hand and the avatar was in 2007 I think carrying my Nikon ED82 scope
P M me if you need any further info.
johnf3f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2013, 08:26   #40
horukuru
Here I Come !
 
horukuru's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near with Mt. Kinabalu, Sabah at Borneo Island
Posts: 6,222
I just bought the Sirui L-10 at the local store and in the box not stated L-10X. I checked with Sirui website, no indication of L-10X too. Is it different model than L-10?

When I tested the Wimberley Arca Swiss plate with my 300mm 2.8 VR II,it does fit without any problem. It comes with 6 years warranty too. Mine looked like this one http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/stor...tilt-head.html

Any comments?

Last edited by horukuru : Tuesday 23rd July 2013 at 08:55.
horukuru is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 23rd July 2013, 23:21   #41
johnf3f
johnf3f

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by horukuru View Post
I just bought the Sirui L-10 at the local store and in the box not stated L-10X. I checked with Sirui website, no indication of L-10X too. Is it different model than L-10?

When I tested the Wimberley Arca Swiss plate with my 300mm 2.8 VR II,it does fit without any problem. It comes with 6 years warranty too. Mine looked like this one http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/stor...tilt-head.html

Any comments?
That is the better version in my opinion. As you have to tighten the knob to lock your QR plate then any small variations in the QR plate dimensions do not matter. Mine has the lever lock (now discontinued I believe) which needs to be adjusted if you use any QR plates other than Sirui.
Hope you are happy with it.
johnf3f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 24th July 2013, 11:12   #42
horukuru
Here I Come !
 
horukuru's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near with Mt. Kinabalu, Sabah at Borneo Island
Posts: 6,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf3f View Post
That is the better version in my opinion. As you have to tighten the knob to lock your QR plate then any small variations in the QR plate dimensions do not matter. Mine has the lever lock (now discontinued I believe) which needs to be adjusted if you use any QR plates other than Sirui.
Hope you are happy with it.
So far so good. I will have the chances to try at Tabin Wildlife Reserve by end of this month with friends. Hope can get a shot of the Bornean Clouded Leopard and Blue-banded Pitta plus the Blue-banded Kingfisher!
horukuru is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 24th July 2013, 22:52   #43
johnf3f
johnf3f

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 1,104
Good luck!
johnf3f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th August 2013, 08:15   #44
horukuru
Here I Come !
 
horukuru's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near with Mt. Kinabalu, Sabah at Borneo Island
Posts: 6,222
The tilt head by Sirui is excellent with the 300mm 2.8 VR II. I was shooting mainly from the truck at Tabin Wildlife Reserve and because of the limited space available with my tripod, monopod + tilt head is indispensable!

Glad to bought this one. Tested it with my friend's 500mm VR, no problem at all too.
horukuru is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 6th August 2013, 23:04   #45
johnf3f
johnf3f

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Wales UK
Posts: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by horukuru View Post
The tilt head by Sirui is excellent with the 300mm 2.8 VR II. I was shooting mainly from the truck at Tabin Wildlife Reserve and because of the limited space available with my tripod, monopod + tilt head is indispensable!

Glad to bought this one. Tested it with my friend's 500mm VR, no problem at all too.
Glad to hear you are happy with it!
johnf3f is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monopod / Head help please Super Dave Spotting Scopes & tripod/heads 5 Monday 24th October 2011 02:05
Which Monopod Head? Epsomsalt Tripod and Heads 3 Thursday 3rd April 2008 13:23
Monopod head? graham catley Photographic Tripods / Heads 12 Wednesday 3rd May 2006 08:13
Monopod Head Kevin Wade Tripod and Heads 1 Sunday 19th March 2006 19:24
Monopod head(s) cspratt Photographic Tripods / Heads 0 Wednesday 9th July 2003 06:01

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.26806211 seconds with 32 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:50.